Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2017 Observations & Discussion Thread

Rtd208

1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

The 12z GFS is back to developing 91L into Franklin, if correct the center would pass near St Lucia on Friday as a weak TS before entering the Eastern Caribbean. Most of the shear and dry air are further to the North, so that would be a great opportunity, especially considering how most of the warm waters of the Central and Eastern Caribbean have been untouched.

I have this feeling that this one breaks the major-less streak. 

Gert lost its chance at RI now looks to be a cat 1 for the remainder of its existence and thus not even a big surf producer.

a decent rain band headed twords the island. Let's see how we screw it up this time 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/15/2017 at 1:18 PM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Gert lost its chance at RI now looks to be a cat 1 for the remainder of its existence and thus not even a big surf producer.

a decent rain band headed twords the island. Let's see how we screw it up this time 

I'm headed to Turks and Caicos on Saturday any luck this thing stays away?!

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

With the downslope flow tomorrow, parts of Long Island may make it to upper 80's to around 90. But it looks short-lived as the flow becomes more onshore thursday.

I was wondering about that, because the local forecast for my area is calling for a high of 90 tomorrow.

41 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I would like the eye to be right over the path of totality :)

9 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I was wondering about that, because the local forecast for my area is calling for a high of 90 tomorrow.

Tomorrow could be one of those sneaky warm downsloping days which we had so few of this summer. But the flow turns more onshore again for Thursday with not as warm temps.

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Tomorrow could be one of those sneaky warm downsloping days which we had so few of this summer. But the flow turns more onshore again for Thursday with not as warm temps.

This has definitely been the summer of onshore flow.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

This has definitely been the summer of onshore flow.

We can't seem to avoid the onshore flow and clouds so heatwaves have been tough to come by. Plenty of warm one or two day runs but it's been a struggle to put 3 days in a row together.

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We can't seem to avoid the onshore flow and clouds so heatwaves have been tough to come by. Plenty of warm one or two day runs but it's been a struggle to put 3 days in a row together.

I wonder if that is also leading to the long island minidrought; onshore flow stabilizes the atmosphere and limits convection.  I hate all this high humidity.  I like dry heat with severe wx threats once a week.

9 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I wonder if that is also leading to the long island minidrought; onshore flow stabilizes the atmosphere and limits convection.  I hate all this high humidity.  I like dry heat with severe wx threats once a week.

Suffolk would probably be under stronger drought conditions if it wasn't as cool and cloudy as it has been recently. We'll see if some of the warmer parts of the area can string together the first heatwave of August next week. Or it's a another 1-2 day event interrupted by clouds and onshore flow. 

1 hour ago, Isotherm said:

Must be at least several thousand feet. That's a cold summer morning low for that latitude.

Saas-Fee is at 6,000 feet elevation. The surrounding mountains are up to 15,000 feet at the peak of the Dom glacier, the second tallest mountain in Switzerland. 

I went up with a cable car to 10,000 feet today, which is above the snow level, but in the blazing sun it was 73 degrees. However, it cools down much more at night.

It's a half hour past sunset now and we're down to 57 already, from a high of 76.

I remember the partial eclipse's in July 1963...it was just clear enough to see...There was another one in the early 1970's that was viewed thru p'cldy skies...this stalled front off the coast would be great in the winter...2002-03's pattern set up in late August with coastal lows...I hope this is what is happening now with the pattern...

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Another day with mega rains just offshore. It's been a so close yet so far situation Time and time again on the island. Wantagh with .25" from this event. Haven't cracked an inch in months 

Three dry summers in a row now. The Wantagh flash flood in September 2015 was the last really impressive 5"+rainfall event on the South Shore.

3 hours ago, Morris said:

Saas-Fee is at 6,000 feet elevation. The surrounding mountains are up to 15,000 feet at the peak of the Dom glacier, the second tallest mountain in Switzerland. 

I went up with a cable car to 10,000 feet today, which is above the snow level, but in the blazing sun it was 73 degrees. However, it cools down much more at night.

It's a half hour past sunset now and we're down to 57 already, from a high of 76.

You must've have some amazing skies up there!  I have a friend in Austria who sends me some amazing pictures of the area.

1 hour ago, uncle W said:

I remember the partial eclipse's in July 1963...it was just clear enough to see...There was another one in the early 1970's that was viewed thru p'cldy skies...this stalled front off the coast would be great in the winter...2002-03's pattern set up in late August with coastal lows...I hope this is what is happening now with the pattern...

Remember the 90% eclipse of May 1994?  The skies cleared up just a bit in time to view that one- I saw it through 10x50 binoculars!

So much for the 'heat' that was being forecasted Monday and Tuesday. People were all saying high 80's as recent as Sunday. Yesterday was low 80's and today was mid 70's at best. We might get one day tomorrow with a temp near 90 then it's back to the same. I think we need to really stop the wishcasting of heat and 90's until it actually happens because it's been going on all summer and we really have nothing to show for it.

Archived