Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2017 Observations & Discussion Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't remember a year, where I've had to mow weekly in late July/August in order to keep up with the lawn. 

I don't water, I don't fertilize. I mixed clover into my seed last year. When I cut I mulch; never bag. 

Honestly I prefer the frequency of storms over dry spells, but I'm impressed with how much rain we've had this season. 

2 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

I don't remember a year, where I've had to mow weekly in late July/August in order to keep up with the lawn. 

I don't water, I don't fertilize. I mixed clover into my seed last year. When I cut I mulch; never bag. 

Honestly I prefer the frequency of storms over dry spells, but I'm impressed with how much rain we've had this season. 

I'll gladly take some. Practically dry as a bone where I am right on the shore. Had a couple light showers overnight, that's it. Lawns here are turning brown. 

47 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

Same here.  No fertilizer or water and the grass looks amazing, the best I can remember in years.

56 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

I've had a hard time mowing once a week this year because the grass has been too wet to cut. When I finally got a chance to the other day I had to go over some parts of the lawn three times because all it did was get laid over due to it being tall and wet. I don't have to mix clover in, there's plenty of it naturally :lol: Well, that and other greenery that isn't actually grass.

53 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I'll gladly take some. Practically dry as a bone where I am right on the shore. Had a couple light showers overnight, that's it. Lawns here are turning brown. 

Zeriscape in places where there isn't enough water naturally. IMO Artificially sustained lawns are ugly because they obviously don't belong. Growing up in Oceanside every time my parents told me to get the sprinkler out it bothered me and my neighbors with in ground automatic systems just struck me as wasteful.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

3 dry summers in a row here on Long Island following that 2014 Islip deluge.

Yeah, you guys definitely need some rain out there.  Unfortunately convection rarely makes it out to Long Island, and that's how a lot of us inland have been cashing in.

On 8/11/2017 at 2:26 AM, nzucker said:

Natural Gas (methane) power plants are a relatively sustainable way of producing electricity and a much more ecological method than coal. They also do not create the high asthma risk and mercury risk that exists for those living near coal-fired plants. My issue is more with fracking than the use of natural gas. I have no problem with existing large traditional wells, but fracking injects chemicals into the ground and blights the landscape because it is so decentralized (i.e. tons of small wells versus one area of intensive production/high output wells). Natural gas should be used as a bridge towards renewables.

With oil prices at $48 and falling, and natural gas falling from $3.50 in mid June to $2.90 now, plus lower electricity demand with the cooler summers since 2013, there won't be a huge expansion of fracking. Fracking is only economically viable when energy prices are high, and all signs are that they continue to lower. Most of the new market share is going to alternatives such as offshore wind farms and homeowner installed solar.

The big question is with the Indian Point nuclear being decommissioned in the early 2020s, what will make up that market share? Will renewables be ready?

You also have to worry about methane leaks (and methane is a far worse greenhouse gas than CO2) and man-made earthquakes when it comes to the process.  Personally, I favor nuclear way way more than "natural gas"  BTW "natural gas" is as much of a misnomer as "corn sugar" was in describing high fructose corn syrup.  A euphemism designed to make it more palatable than it really is.

BTW speaking of asthma, big city pollution from all the traffic is one of the biggest reasons for asthma.  I saw a Stanford study that showed how airborne pollutants which are prevalent in and near big cities can cross the blood-brain barrier and affect the brains of developing fetuses, resulting in conditions like autism.  Studies show a 65% environmental 35% genetic connection, according to the CDC.  This is entirely separate from the problems of packing so many people into such a small area, which leads to stress, anxiety, lack of sleep and pill-popping culture.

On 8/11/2017 at 3:48 PM, NJwx85 said:

Out of everyone in this entire region you have the best shot at heavy rain this weekend. Cheers!

So I was driving down I-80 West last night (between 7 and 8 pm) and I experienced some of the heaviest rain I have ever seen for almost 40 miles.  From the Morristown exit right to the Delaware Water Gap.  After that it stopped but in the middle of the night it was raining hard again.

13 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Yeah, you guys definitely need some rain out there.  Unfortunately convection rarely makes it out to Long Island, and that's how a lot of us inland have been cashing in.

No middle ground here for the 2010's summers with either very wet or very dry. 2010...dry...2011-2014 record rainfall...2015-2017...very dry.

On 8/11/2017 at 3:40 PM, NJwx85 said:

It's about time we're back up...

In any event 99L is up to a 2 day 30% and 5 day 50%. The satellite continues to slowly improve and you can see signs of a closed circulation trying to form under the deepest convection.

avn_lalo-animated.gif

Hey what was going on yesterday?  Was the site offline all day?  I wasn't home to see any updates but with the site being down for so long, I started to think that maybe the predictions had changed for 99L and it was now forecast to become a hurricane and run right up the coast :P  

9 minutes ago, bluewave said:

No middle ground here for the 2010's summers with either very wet or very dry. 2010...dry...2011-2014 record rainfall...2015-2017...very dry.

I really don't think it's supposed to rain that much on Long Island during the summer.  Traveling back and forth between LI and PA a lot (especially during the summer) the weather in the Poconos is entirely different, it rains much more here almost every summer than it does on Long Island.  The two ways for Long Island to get precip are noreasters and tropical systems.  If you don't get either, you are out of luck for big rainfalls.  You do get the occasional stalled front or whatever but it's rare.

1 hour ago, JerseyWx said:

Same here.  No fertilizer or water and the grass looks amazing, the best I can remember in years.

You guys do good stuff.  I learned my lesson and stopped using fertilizer and pesticides years ago- organic soil + compost + mulch is far more sustainable and better for retaining nutrients.

54 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I really don't think it's supposed to rain that much on Long Island during the summer.  Traveling back and forth between LI and PA a lot (especially during the summer) the weather in the Poconos is entirely different, it rains much more here almost every summer than it does on Long Island.  The two ways for Long Island to get precip are noreasters and tropical systems.  If you don't get either, you are out of luck for big rainfalls.  You do get the occasional stalled front or whatever but it's rare.

The average summer rainfall at ISP is 11.68". But this decade has seen the most extreme variation between top wettest and driest summers.

598f81dad0735_Screenshot2017-08-12at6_28_00PM.png.a8ff4f5e99ef16923b053fc552aa50e7.png

Archived