Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2017 Observations & Discussion Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bluewave said:

The latest EPS weeklies from yesterday are pretty dry for the rest of August.

What a shock. Then again the Euro has been less then stellar lately but the EPS is usually pretty good. Well if it is going to be dry and boring it might as well be now and then let things start to hopefully ramp up as well head into September and the fall/winter months.

Just now, winterwarlock said:

I have no idea why you are complaining about missing heavy rain events when most are well abovenormal and it has rained 9 straight weekends.

Its bizarre your reality

Out of everyone in this entire region you have the best shot at heavy rain this weekend. Cheers!

36 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

What a shock. Then again the Euro has been less then stellar lately but the EPS is usually pretty good. Well if it is going to be dry and boring it might as well be now and then let things start to hopefully ramp up as well head into September and the fall/winter months.

So far ISP is the 7th driest summer on record. Long Island would probably see more extensive drought if it wasn't s cool with numerous cloudy days.

55 minutes ago, winterwarlock said:

I have no idea why you are complaining about missing heavy rain events when most are well abovenormal and it has rained 9 straight weekends.

Its bizarre your reality

I'm happy if it busts on a weekend.   However even the weekday events have busted hard of late.  Predictions of 2-3 inches and we get .25

2 hours ago, doncat said:

11.60" rain here since June 1st vs. 6.10" at ISP.

It was also a function of pure luck with convection progression. I'm at 6.67" for meteorological summer thus far, very dry. Central NJ has been getting the short end of the stick for T-storms. Still running a positive precipitation departure long term / for 2017 due to the very wet spring.

4 hours ago, winterwarlock said:

Its bizarre your reality

As others have stated Long Island is experiencing another summer drought. Its pretty frustrating when your a big garnder and landscape designer like myself. And based on the current radar trends we miss another big rain event to the north and south again. I doubt wantagh sees much more then .25" 

Probably going to be an overperformer for the tri-state in terms of rainfall. The NYC doughnut hole was a bit overdone by guidance.

Next week looks fairly dry..NWS going sunny with low to mid 80s for highs and mid 60s for lows...near average for mid August. Looks as if we are going to end the summer with three months very near the average temperature mark, not a ton of variation in the pattern this summer with a few rainy/cool/cloudy days then a couple days of sun and mid 80s. Been pretty much the theme since the June 11-13 heat wave ended. 

Archived