Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2017 Observations & Discussion Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, WEATHERBUFF said:

Yes in relation to average the coast has done better. 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 were above average in snow but nothing compared to 92-93,93-94 and 95-96 all which had well over 100 inches. 2016-2017 was at least as good as 2013-2014 snowfall wise but the temps were above average. Those 3 winters in the 1990's were all quite cold,especially 93-94 and 95-96.

14-15 had a good period of snow pack with the cold February and fairly cold March.

93-94 was amazing though...still have pics of the 3' plus snowpack in March. It got incredibly deep in Lake Como, PA, which is at 1600'. Can hardly imagine what it was like in the higher elevations near Mt. Ararat/Orson where it goes from 2000'-2600'...probably at least a 4 foot pack. The temperatures were brutal too, January I think hit -20F a few times in the colder radiating spots like our lake-filled valley. Stayed cold right through March, and a lot of locales held snowpack well into April.

6 hours ago, nzucker said:

14-15 had a good period of snow pack with the cold February and fairly cold March.

93-94 was amazing though...still have pics of the 3' plus snowpack in March. It got incredibly deep in Lake Como, PA, which is at 1600'. Can hardly imagine what it was like in the higher elevations near Mt. Ararat/Orson where it goes from 2000'-2600'...probably at least a 4 foot pack. The temperatures were brutal too, January I think hit -20F a few times in the colder radiating spots like our lake-filled valley. Stayed cold right through March, and a lot of locales held snowpack well into April.

I can tell you lol.  Both March 1993 and winter 93-94 put down nearly 10 ft drifts near my house which is in the mtns west of Jim Thorpe (further south than you and closer to Allentown, but the elevation is like 2,200 ft- same as Albrightsville, averages about 70 inches of snow a year, like Mt. Pocono.)  We even had about a foot and a half of snow in the Jan 2016 storm, while back home in Nassau County we had about 32 inches. Allentown, one county to my south had a similar amt of snow.  I don't think Mt. Pocono got anything out of that storm.

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

Hopefully, breaking the inversion and the seabreeze will clear things out later.

On the plus side, this kind of particulate pollution can result in some brilliant sunsets.

Remember when we had a similar thing a few years ago with the fires in Alberta, Canada (sadly, I think an entire city burned down in that fire.)

5 minutes ago, Paragon said:

On the plus side, this kind of particulate pollution can result in some brilliant sunsets.

Remember when we had a similar thing a few years ago with the fires in Alberta, Canada (sadly, I think an entire city burned down in that fire.)

Yeah I remember that. Be interesting to see if July 21-22 can stand as the last 90 of this year for JFK and ISP or we can sneak another in before the season ends?

10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah I remember that. Be interesting to see if July 21-22 can stand as the last 90 of this year for JFK and ISP or we can sneak another in before the season ends?

Going on prior experience I think we'll have more.  I'd say sometime in the third week of August and might even sneak a couple in September.  JFK should get to 10 and NYC to 15 before the season ends.

My prediction is for LGA to get to 20, NYC to 15 and for JFK and ISP to reach 10.  A solidly average summer.

8 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Going on prior experience I think we'll have more.  I'd say sometime in the third week of August and might even sneak a couple in September.  JFK should get to 10 and NYC to 15 before the season ends.

We'll see if JFK can have a 2013 and 2004 finish with no 90's after July. ISP has done it more often during the 2000's than JFK.

2000's summers with no 90's after July:

JFK...2013...2004

ISP...2014...2013...2012...2004...2003...2000

8 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

99L on life support.    Most models dissipate it now.

No surprises there. Hard to believe that there has been only one major hurricane day in the Tropical Atlantic since 2010. That must be a new record for lack of major hurricane activity out in that region.

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

No surprises there. Hard to believe that there has been only one major hurricane day in the Tropical Atlantic since 2010. That must be a new record for lack of major hurricane activity out in that region.

We just had our first hurricane in the Atlantic.  Could be a season where you see above average tropical storms and below average hurricanes.

Why did they increase total number of storms?

The ACE so far is a puny 7 units.  Where do they expect this figure to end up?  They are trying to impress the public with the total number of tropical systems---since the public knows little about ACE.

7 ACE units is generated by a major hurricane in a single 24hr. period, or one minimal hurricane in 3 days, I think.

52 minutes ago, bluewave said:

There is a funky smell outside right now from whatever was burning in that scrap yard.

http://6abc.com/firefighters-battle-stubborn-blaze-in-scrap-yard/2292121/

I also smell it out here

25 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Hopefully the tropics ramp up just like what Noaa is predicting.

23 minutes ago, Paragon said:

We just had our first hurricane in the Atlantic.  Could be a season where you see above average tropical storms and below average hurricanes.

Remarkable run since 2012 with the biggest hurricanes of the season waiting until October.  Be interesting to see if late August and September can become more active this year.

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Remarkable run since 2012 with the biggest hurricanes of the season waiting until October. 

A consequence of the AMO going negative perhaps?  Might be a return to the 80s, except wetter.  Could mean less tropical activity but more chances to record negative temps!

27 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Which hurricane are you referring to as the only major? Sandy briefly touched category 3 prior to landfall in Cuba.

46 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

It continues to produce deep convection near the center. In fact another flare up is commencing as I type this. Shear is lessening and the system is entering a moister environment. Really all signs point towards conditions favorable for development, and the NHC still gives it a 5 day 40% chance.

Edit: It looks like shear has actually increased just a tad to the Northeast of the center, but it still should be light enough to overcome.

28 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Which hurricane are you referring to as the only major? Sandy briefly touched category 3 prior to landfall in Cuba.

The Tropical Atlantic is east of 60W and south of 20N east of the islands. The only major out there since 2010 was Danny. It only made it to 100Kt for 6 hrs. Everything passing through that zone has struggled since 2012 like 99L just did. Sandy formed in the Western Caribbean so it didn't have a chance to pass through that area and weaken.

track.gif.ff71adea00efd0aff55c8ccc164e1ed2.gif

1 hour ago, Paragon said:

My prediction is for LGA to get to 20, NYC to 15 and for JFK and ISP to reach 10.  A solidly average summer.

I'm seeing more ridging on the models for 2nd half of August so I think you're right but then again we've seen false alarms for heat this summer before, so we'll have to wait and see. 

20 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I'm seeing more ridging on the models for 2nd half of August so I think you're right but then again we've seen false alarms for heat this summer before, so we'll have to wait and see. 

A warm period of 5-7 days would fit the summer pattern.    I doubt we see anything big, like a bunch of 90 degree days in a row though....

1 hour ago, Paragon said:

A consequence of the AMO going negative perhaps?  Might be a return to the 80s, except wetter.  Could mean less tropical activity but more chances to record negative temps!

The last 10 yrs have been solidly +AMO.  Surprisingly little activity overall in that span especially the last 5 years....I would have thought we'd have more years like 04 and 05 in the mix.

Archived