SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2017 Observations & Discussion Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...finally some much needed rain here on ELI..looks like a short and intense round

of heavy rain..which most will probably just run off..it will be interesting to see

if they fall apart as they move east..in any event, hoping to salvage the afternoon on the 

beach.

9 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The Long Island rain shield stays strong. The radar echoes weakened as they came east again with only .18 at Wantagh.

..boy..did they ever..very light rain falling now and i will be lucky if i get as 

much as you..

39 minutes ago, tim said:

..boy..did they ever..very light rain falling now and i will be lucky if i get as 

much as you..

Yeah, Newark continues the summer rainfall lead over Islip. EWR...11.80....ISP...5.81.

But all the clouds and rain at Newark resulted in the 2nd lowest number of 90 degree days for the 2010's there by August 5th.

5985bbac6d3dd_Screenshot2017-08-05at8_34_07AM.png.a9b7a001ddd644337a6e72b0358582fa.png

15 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, Newark continues the summer rainfall lead over Islip. EWR...11.80....ISP...5.81.

But all the clouds and rain at Newark resulted in the 2nd lowest number of 90 degree days for the 2010's there by August 5th.

5985bbac6d3dd_Screenshot2017-08-05at8_34_07AM.png.a9b7a001ddd644337a6e72b0358582fa.png

Looks like it may be a while before we see more 90s too.

21 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Looks like it may be a while before we see more 90s too.

given the trough position remaining fairly constant there might only be a couple of 90 degree days left this summer and it's possible in cooler areas (like here) we could be largely done.

31 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

It seems that the bulk of the storm has moved of to the ENE but there has been a bit of redevelopment on the back side around here. How long is this going to keep up? I'd love to get out and do something outside without the random drizzle.

This weekend continues the pattern of measurable rain and clouds going back to the April. Even if it's just nuisance showers and thunderstorms like today.

6 minutes ago, bluewave said:

This weekend continues the pattern of measurable rain and clouds going back to the April. Even if it's just nuisance showers and thunderstorms like today.

Well the sky finally cleared here so I'm headin' out. Gonna play some tennis with one of my kids now while the trails dry out and then get out on the mt bikes with the other one later. This wet weekend thing has really gotten old :( Actually the wet for ~5 days a week for 6 months thing has just plain old sucked. I'd take some LI dryness if you guys want to trade for a few weeks ;) 

3 hours ago, WEATHERBUFF said:

That's the trend so why change in regards to future months.

It's not taking into account the fluke months that we get, but I agree that just calling for an above average month is always a good bet. I just hope the winter departures aren't too above normal.

I would not be surprised if some 90s return. Doesn't look like anything extended right now, though, which is a relief to me.

15 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Well the sky finally cleared here so I'm headin' out. Gonna play some tennis with one of my kids now while the trails dry out and then get out on the mt bikes with the other one later. This wet weekend thing has really gotten old :( Actually the wet for ~5 days a week for 6 months thing has just plain old sucked. I'd take some LI dryness if you guys want to trade for a few weeks ;) 

37 days with at least a T of rain so far since June 1st at Newark. But only +2.11" on the summer so far since numerous days had very light rainfall totals.

49 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Even out here on LI it's been a nuisance. We just get the left over shower and not the downpour. The weekend timing has been a pain. I'm on the beach now though. Breezy but I'll take it. 

7 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

given the trough position remaining fairly constant there might only be a couple of 90 degree days left this summer and it's possible in cooler areas (like here) we could be largely done.

Very true and the chances naturally decline 2nd half of August. I've noticed every time models tried to build the WAR in the extended it always gets knocked down. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this general troughiness extends beyond summer. We've seen patterns gets stuck for months on end, so why should this be any different.

4 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Very true and the chances naturally decline 2nd half of August. I've noticed every time models tried to build the WAR in the extended it always gets knocked down. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this general troughiness extends beyond summer. We've seen patterns gets stuck for months on end, so why should this be any different.

Models show the trough dominating through mid-August, and how many more 90F days are we going to see post 8/15? Especially with a wet pattern, Central Park tends to get overgrown with vegetation.

Low of 63F forecast in the Bronx tonight. With lowering humidity and a light breeze, there is almost an autumnal feel. Opening the windows and shutting off the A/C.

Archived