Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2017 Observations & Discussion Thread

Rtd208

30 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Twice as much rain at Newark this summer as Islip.

Since June 1st:

EWR...11.26

ISP......5.68

Long Island feels almost Mediterranean at times. A "dry season" during summer seems to be a recurring theme.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Long Island feels almost Mediterranean at times. A "dry season" during summer seems to be a recurring theme.

Newark has a larger lead this summer so far compared to the last 2 with the rain and clouds keeping temps down there. The last summer ISP beat EWR was 2014 with the thousand year deluge at ISP.

JJA rainfall:

2016...EWR...9.41....ISP....5.25

2015..EWR....9.99....ISP....7.27

2014..EWR...11.27...ISP....18.82

4 hours ago, Cfa said:

Yeah I was down there yesterday and was surprised at how dry some areas are. It seemed like the LIE Corridor and the south fork of the east end are in pretty good shape but the south shore is parched and Queens is browning out.

This morning it appears as though I got bracketed, you guys got drenched south of me and apparently Julian got wet north of here. It's hot and humid and the air feels and smells like chemicals and gas :unsure:

The timing of these  fronts on Friday nights into Saturday mornings has been annoying for beach bums like myself. Tomorrow looks like more poor timing- passing through right at noon. The good thing though is that Saturday afternoons have cleared out and there are minimal crowds.  Most people wake up and see it's cloudy and go off to do whatever else it could possibly be that people do on a summer Saturday. Not me, I wait it out and get the beach to myself B)

13 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Looks like the NAM with the best overrunning N and W of NYC instead of LI. The coast needs a tick south with the low in later runs.

honestly i'd rather take my chances on the convective side of the low

Archived