Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

10 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

That's the risk you take going at this time of year. It's pretty much peak season for them down there.

Correct.  The one friend is cheap though and wants to save money.  Personally, I'm not going in September again, did it twice and one year was fine while the other sucked.  I'm going again next August.   

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Correct.  The one friend is cheap though and wants to save money.  Personally, I'm not going in September again, did it twice and one year was fine while the other sucked.  I'm going again next August.   

I know all about being frugal ;)  As of just two weeks ago I wouldn't have thought twice about grabbing a deal on a few days on the beach down there but now it looks like a different story for the next few weeks. Even August is questionable but, I'd do it.

We seem to be running ~.1/hour so far today. Not bad, gives it a chance to soak in rather than otherwise. Hopefully Flo doesn't send much for rain and wind up this way or we'll have trees flopping over, so much is weak from the winter storms and how wet it's been this year and NYSEG did a piss poor job of clearing the lines in case another real storm hits the area which puts us in another no power situation. Something to look forward to :whistle:

Just updated some of my stats.  Here's a shocker...I recorded my highest number of 90 Degree Days, 34 this year.  After this year the rest of the top three 90 Degree Days are 29 in 2016 and 28 in 2012.  My average number of 90 degree days here is 16.  Also tied my overall high of 99 on 7/2/18 with the same on 7/6/10.

I ran into quite a few heavy downpours around western CT today. There was a fair bit of water on the road in a lot of places, creeks are bank full and there's lots of deep standing water filling the low spots.

One thing that is kind of scary is how many (really) big trees are leaning precariously over roads and power lines just waiting for a strong breeze to bring them down. You'd think these electric companies would have learned after last winter and the May storm to take these things down. I think it's time to keep 5 or 10 gallons of gas always ready to go into the generator. I wish I could get ethanol free gas near me so I didn't have to use Sta-Bil. 

• 2 weeks later...

Was up in Lake George this weekend for the balloon fest. This morning's launch was awesome... 37F and a stout inversion that kept the ~90 balloons hanging overhead, nearly stationary. Friday eve and Sat morning got scrapped by stiff SW and even stiffer NW winds, respectively, as the front roared through.

Curiously, foliage up there wasn't much more advanced than it is in at home.

• Like 1