Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

We got there around 2pm on Thursday and there was less than 50 feet from the dune to the water line and the seagulls were brutally aggressive. They stole the sandwich right out of my wifes hand and bit my daughter when she tried to stop them from emptying our cooler, she failed :( Around 3 I went for a walk and couldn't get past that first bar because the waves were pounding the rocks and that was as the tide was going back out. All in all until they dredge and expand the beach again I'd rather take the time and go out to Montauk and park at Kirk Beach even though it's a touch longer drive.

Yuck. Was the little remaining beach at least relatively smooth? I've been there some years when it was more reminiscent of Acadia's Boulder Beach than of a summertime vacation spot. Either way, I go as much for the photography as I do for the beach time... if not more. Napatree Point and the old airstrip at Ninigret are some of my favorite night sky spots in the northeast. Sand is overrated anyway, it's course and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere :)

@Juliancolton Are you getting wet yet? 

I was just south of downtown Danbury a while ago and a storm formed just to my north and east, it was super dark and thundery. It's always kind of fun looking in on a good storm from the side.

Haven't seen a drop today. Looks like I might get into some showers soon, but probably nothing significant

~1" today and a bit last night. I'm glad I put in the effort and mowed yesterday. It took me over 2 hours to do what usually takes about 20 minutes, had to fill the tank on the mower twice and it usually uses less than half of one. I had to make 4 passes on most of it and 5 on parts just to get it down to a reasonably even level because it's so wet underneath. The backyard is about 6" high and too soggy to walk on so it's gonna be a while until that gets done but the neighbor was giving me **** about the front so I had to deal with it. 

I'm officially over this stuff, can we please move on to fall and winter now?  #bringbackthedrought 

Closest stations run between 1.1<>1.24 for yesterday. It's soggy, just step off my driveway or back patio and you sink in a couple of inches. 

The radar for the northeast looks pretty cool with a nearly closed circulation. I'm guessing as that passes through later today it's gonna get really wet again. Uggh...

Yuck, this air quality is rotten. 

Looks like we're gonna get banged around pretty good in a few hours, 35dbz returns headed this way. 

Just unrelenting dews. It's like we live on a low-budget Star Trek planet where the climate is always the same everywhere... Ferenginar comes to mind

• Haha 1

Could get active later. A section of SPC's disc,

Scattered thunderstorms in bands and clusters are expected to
   develop this afternoon and move eastward to east-northeastward
   across the area, offering the risk of damaging gusts and sporadic
   hail.  

Some destabilization should occur over central/eastern New England
   ahead of an ongoing cloud/precip plume over NY, and an isolated
   damaging gust cannot be ruled out from the most intense cores in
   that regime.  The more sustained and concentrated convective
   potential, with occasional damaging to severe winds, is forecast
   behind the morning cloud/precip plume and along/southeast of the
   frontal zone as the richly moist boundary layer diabatically
   destabilizes.  MLCAPE should range from the 2000-3000 J/kg range
   over southern New England, NJ and the lower Hudson Valley region
   where boundary-layer theta-e and heating each will be maximized, to
   1000-1500 J/kg over the northern parts of the outlook area.

Even though the mid/upper trough will be weakening with time as it
   approaches the area, that approach will lead to height falls,
   large-scale DCVA/cooling aloft, and strengthening of mid/upper winds
   and, to a limited extent, low-level and deep-layer shear.  Forecast
   soundings suggest about 25-35 kt effective-shear magnitudes, but
   also, enough low-level hodograph curvature to yield marginal SRH for
   at least transient supercell characteristics.  The primary storm
   mode should be multicellular, with marginally severe hail and
   sporadic damaging wind.

That was some serious rain yesterday and last night. I got just shy of 2" between 6 and about midnight in several intense rounds. The incessant rolling thunder and near constant lightning was pretty cool. I actually stepped outside to listen to the thunder just rolling around in the hills for a while because it doesn't sound like that very often.

See edit above

My neighbor has had to pump water out of his pool a few times a week for the last 5 weeks or so. There are 3 storm drains on my block and they're all blocked up with crap and the properties below them are getting wrecked, washed out yards and driveways getting undermined when the water rages through. The town said we don't pay enough in taxes for them to care :whistle:  

See edit above

My neighbor has had to pump water out of his pool a few times a week for the last 5 weeks or so. There are 3 storm drains on my block and they're all blocked up with crap and the properties below them are getting wrecked, washed out yards and driveways getting undermined when the water rages through. The town said we don't pay enough in taxes for them to care :whistle:  

The debate over how much taxes are paid aside, do these storm drains need heavy equipment to be cleared out or could folks help themselves if they took a few minutes to clean them themselves?  When I lived in a house that had a storm drain in front of it I kept it clear year round because I knew it would flood my neighbors if it was blocked. The town would get to it eventually but it only took me a minute or two. Same goes for shoveling fire hydrants out after a good snowstorm. 

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

The debate over how much taxes are paid aside, do these storm drains need heavy equipment to be cleared out or could folks help themselves if they took a few minutes to clean them themselves?  When I lived in a house that had a storm drain in front of it I kept it clear year round because I knew it would flood my neighbors if it was blocked. The town would get to it eventually but it only took me a minute or two. Same goes for shoveling fire hydrants out after a good snowstorm. 

You need heavy equipment to suck all of the debris from inside the drain. No way else to get in there

• Like 1

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

You need heavy equipment to suck all of the debris from inside the drain. No way else to get in there

Wait, you’ve seen this in person at his house?  There are certainly times they to bring in the big street vac.  That said, we have a lot of gullies up here and some times the blockages are dirt, twigs, leaves, etc that covers the drain opening itself. That’s what I would clean.