Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

13 minutes ago, snywx said:

All this talk about an extreme -NAO is making me cringe. Unless you live in the DC area I never understood the love for it. Suppression/depression incoming

If Paul Kocin taught me anything, it's that big interior snowstorms happen at the tail end of -NAO episodes, not when the blocking is at its strongest. With any luck, it'll last long enough that the Mid-Atlantic cashes in during the crazy 5 sigma -NAO or whatever, then we get a system or two while the pattern breaks down.

• Like 2

Yup hit 80 here at the house. It was kinda nice to do some early yard cleanup in a t-shirt without the bugs and such.

I'm hoping that we see a reasonable storm as the -nao sets in then another as it pulls out. I'm not looking forward to the mixed up frozen mess that's being forecasted for the next few days though. After it does leave though I think I'll be done with this winter, heck I could be done with it today actually ;) especially after home heating oil jumped almost $.50 today :( 

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

If Paul Kocin taught me anything, it's that big interior snowstorms happen at the tail end of -NAO episodes, not when the blocking is at its strongest. With any luck, it'll last long enough that the Mid-Atlantic cashes in during the crazy 5 sigma -NAO or whatever, then we get a system or two while the pattern breaks down.

Out of curiosity how - was the NAO during the snowicane?

5 hours ago, nzucker said:

Very negative. Feb 2010 was one of the most -NAOs on record.

I believe that the month was -1.98 and March was -.88 so to @Juliancoltons post I believe it was on the rebound late in the month which allowed many of us up here to cash in after being shutout for most of the month thanks to suppression. 

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I believe that the month was -1.98 and March was -.88 so to @Juliancoltons post I believe it was on the rebound late in the month which allowed many of us up here to cash in after being shutout for most of the month thanks to suppression. 

Just looked back at my Feb 2010 records.  I received 46" of snow, 40" of that fell in the second half of the month, 33" in the last week.

7 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Did you flip recently?  The latest mesonet photo near there is showing rain or maybe white rain but the shot is from 3pm.  I'm wondering if we flip down here before its over. 

Mesonet webcam in Walkill is showing a flip to snow. Its prob straddling the Ulster/Orange/Sullivan border now

EDIT: All sleet now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AN AREA OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WILL AFFECT LITCHFIELD...
BERKSHIRE...ULSTER...DUTCHESS...COLUMBIA...ALBANY...GREENE...
SOUTHEASTERN SCHOHARIE...RENSSELAER...SOUTHERN BENNINGTON AND 
SOUTHERN WINDHAM COUNTIES...

At 345 PM EST, a large area of moderate to heavy snow was located 
over much of eastern New York from around the Capital District 
southward and western New England, including Interstates 90, 87, and 
787. The snow is causing reduced visibility and snow covered roads. 
Snowfall rates of one half to one inch per hour will result in 
hazardous travel conditions.

THIS INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING HIGHWAYS...
 Interstate 90 between exits 8 and 1s, and between exits 8 and 6-5A.
 Interstate 87 between exits 1 and 2 , near exit 4, and between exits
2-4 and 4-5.
 Interstate 787 between exits 2 and 8-7.

Visibilities will drop quickly to less than a half mile in this area 
of heavy snow. Conditions can deteriorate rapidly in winter weather 
situations. Be prepared for snow or ice covered roads. Slow down and 
allow extra time when traveling.

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018