Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Tonight looks like a better chance for most of us to crack 0. Tomorrow looks like it's gonna be a mite chilly :)  I'll tell ya, my clutch was an unhappy car part this morning for the first mile or so until everything warmed up. I wish I had a garage :( On the upside, there is definitely something to be said for cold, dry pavement and the right tires on a good sports car :)  I had all sortsa fun last night and this morning :bike:

And that's one area where a mechanical clutch outshines hydraulic.

Or just get an automatic :D

Already down to 1F and in a state of total freefall until the wind picks up at some point tonight. The snow is making that squeaking noise underfoot, doesn't get much better. 

Gonna head to the river for sunrise in search of some nice sea smoke. Probably only a few days to see that before there's not enough open water left. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Already down to 1F and in a state of total freefall until the wind picks up at some point tonight. The snow is making that squeaking noise underfoot, doesn't get much better. 

Gonna head to the river for sunrise in search of some nice sea smoke. Probably only a few days to see that before there's not enough open water left. 

Going to take pics of it, JC? I wonder if you can capture sea smoke rising from the river at night while the stars are sparkling overhead.

Cold and dry is terrific for AP!

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Made it down to 3 this morning for the low, still haven't touched or gone below zero yet.  The massive piles of snow being made in a relatively short amount of time in the park with this temps is really something to see.

The lows around here haven't been anything extraordinary with this cold snap. We need to lose another 10F at night for interesting phenomena like sea smoke, frost flowers, light pillars, etc. The consistently struggling daytime highs have been impressive however.

My low this morning was -0.4 so I guess the 'official' subzero streak is already over.

7 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Made it down to 3 this morning for the low, still haven't touched or gone below zero yet.  The massive piles of snow being made in a relatively short amount of time in the park with this temps is really something to see.

Positive aspect of this cold snap.

Mountain Creek has been blowing snow non-stop. The snow base should be really good by tomorrow.

Last season was a complete disaster in terms of days open. Thinking of hitting the slopes tomorrow.

Will take an epic January thaw to knock them down this season. The snow will come..I am told.

I was able see a cloud of white snow from my deck looking south west at Mountain Creek this afternoon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Brutal out right now

I checked my weather station stats this morning.

It's been an impressive month at my house for cold temps.

Honestly shocked compared to previous years.

Warmest temp afternoon high -54.9F December 5th

Cold max high - 12.5F December 28th

Warmest max low temp - 36.7F December 19th

Cold max low temp - 2.9F December 28th

High today - 17.7F

Low - 3.1 F

I use a Davis Vantage pro 2 station...as best as you can get compared to some other garbage people buy.

43 minutes ago, Animal said:

I checked my weather station stats this morning.

It's been an impressive month at my house for cold temps.

Honestly shocked compared to previous years.

Warmest temp afternoon high -54.9F December 5th

Cold max high - 12.5F December 28th

Warmest max low temp - 36.7F December 19th

Cold max low temp - 2.9F December 28th

High today - 17.7F

Low - 3.1 F

I use a Davis Vantage pro 2 station...as best as you can get compared to some other garbage people buy.

Hey Animal . I am totally new at this . I have been on the site a while but just used to read and lurk and have been trying to learn as much as I can from you guys that really understand the science but man this is hard . My kids bought me a weather station for Xmas because they know I enjoy  this stuff so much and literally set it up an hour ago,,,lol to stay on topic  those are just ridiculous temps u posted

6 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Hey Animal . I am totally new at this . I have been on the site a while but just used to read and lurk and have been trying to learn as much as I can from you guys that really understand the science but man this is hard . My kids bought me a weather station for Xmas because they know I enjoy  this stuff so much and literally set it up an hour ago,,,lol to stay on topic  those are just ridiculous temps u posted

lol.. Im pretty sure those weren't sub zero readings you read. The - was separating the context from the actual numbers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, snywx said:

Hopefully we can get some snow up there. Im down here in south florida right now and the chill is even impressive down here. Im sitting on my balcony right now in North Miami Beach and its a chilly 64°. Thats impressive for this specific location 

Yeah, this month has been deep winter pretty much everywhere east of the Rockies. I like when SFla feels the chill a little... it tends to settle down the old relatives that call every weekend in the winter and brag about how warm and wonderful it is down there.

42 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, this month has been deep winter pretty much everywhere east of the Rockies. I like when SFla feels the chill a little... it tends to settle down the old relatives that call every weekend in the winter and brag about how warm and wonderful it is down there.

Im outside in shorts and a t-shirt and the natives have on heavy jackets w/ boots lol. They look at me like I have something hanging off my head. Todays high was 78°

1 hour ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

that's totally great your kids got you a set-up. Use it for a year & if you still enjoy the science, spend what you can.

Made me recall the 1st time I saw snow in West Chester, PA.

My father called us boys & girls upstairs. We were from Miami, FL

1/2 inch of snow & my life took an amazing turn.

Enjoy it. Where are you located in rockland.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Animal said:

that's totally great your kids got you a set-up. Use it for a year & if you still enjoy the science, spend what you can.

Made me recall the 1st time I saw snow in West Chester, PA.

My father called us boys & girls upstairs. We were from Miami, FL

1/2 inch of snow & my life took an amazing turn.

Enjoy it. Where are you located in rockland.

Animal I am in New City 20 -25 minutes north of the GW . Some of US love the snow and then there is THEM who hate it lol ---I remember you said you were moving I hope that went well. Im just rolling outta bed and its snowing here,,,lets look at models ,,,enjoy the day

Snowing harder than I thought it would after all the miss and bust chatter the last two days. I've got a good thick coating on everything already and the extra dense brine soaking the streets got yesterday doesn't seem to have done any good :yikes: but at 10* I wouldn't expect it to without a fair bit of traffic on it. Hopefully that updated 2" forecast holds true. I think I'm going to go out for a mt bike ride this afternoon :) 

For as cold as it has been it hasn't been as unbearable as many other cold snaps. Maybe because it just kind of settled in, I don't know. I sure would like to see a couple of subzero nights out of this though. The heat in my house has been running pretty much constantly and it has really dried things out inside too much. Gonna go get a humidifier today. 

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018