Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Snow is pretty much gone, it was nice for a few hours, made the neighbors holiday lights look nice.

It seems like the HRRR led the pack with the wraparound frozen precip. It's often overzealous with dynamic cooling in developing CCBs but things sure enough cooled off quickly last night. The melting layer did hold steady here though.

It flurried for a while last night but didn't amount to anything. About 20 miles east of me there was a good, solid coating on the ground at 7am this morning. Wintry day today, cold but not bad if you were out of the wind. The next two nights ought to be good and cold. It's like winter wants to be here but can't quite settle in though, if the chatter in the main thread is right it looks like we're about 3-4 weeks away from the real deal.

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

I blew a couple of peoples minds when I told them that sunset started gettting later again last week. That never gets old LOL. 

Lol. People confuse length of day with sunset time.  If we have less daylight, it must be getting darker earlier...right Rob? :D

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Are you ready to make proper snowfall measurements this season?  :drunk:

I sure am Rob, just let me know if you need any advice :santa:

2 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Length of day stays pretty much the same. ;)

You're right, it stays relatively close, although the winter solstice is technically the shortest day for us in the northern hemisphere.  However, most people think the sunset just keeps getting earlier until the solstice, which isn't the case.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Hitman said:

2.39” here.  I drove back from nj over the tz and it was totally socked in.  They had the bridge lit up though and it looked cool.  What wasn’t cool was the saw mill being closed northbound.

Yeah all you have to do is think about rain and that road closes.

So with a gov't shutdown what aspects of the NWS will stop working? NOAA, NCEP...?

I thought I saw a few while I was out cutting up the tree that came down yesterday. Boy, talk about wrong tool for the job. I was using a 30 year old electric chain saw with a pretty dull chain and ran out of chain oil after the first major cut so had to drip bike chain lube on for the rest. I cut enough up that it's not suspended and under tension or leaning on other trees anymore, gotta get a real saw to finish it though. 

On to chainsaws ;) Does anyone here have any direct experience with some of the new high power rechargeable saws? I see a nice 60 volt Craftsman and a few other nice looking pieces from Stihl and Milwaukee. Any thoughts...? Does anyone have a mill I can borrow for a day or two? I might just get a Granberg Alaska Mill and make a few nice slabs.

40 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I thought I saw a few while I was out cutting up the tree that came down yesterday. Boy, talk about wrong tool for the job. I was using a 30 year old electric chain saw with a pretty dull chain and ran out of chain oil after the first major cut so had to drip bike chain lube on for the rest. I cut enough up that it's not suspended and under tension or leaning on other trees anymore, gotta get a real saw to finish it though. 

On to chainsaws ;) Does anyone here have any direct experience with some of the new high power rechargeable saws? I see a nice 60 volt Craftsman and a few other nice looking pieces from Stihl and Milwaukee. Any thoughts...? Does anyone have a mill I can borrow for a day or two? I might just get a Granberg Alaska Mill and make a few nice slabs.

I got a Black and Decker 40v last year, it’s does a decent job. I also have the 40v weed whacker and blower. 

6 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Why not just get a gas one?  I have a small stihl I got last year after my old one got crunched.  Totally fine for everything but big trees and I’m not touching those by myself anyway.