Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

10 hours ago, HeinzGuy said:

Hey guys, what's up, just got my Master's at WCSU doing my thesis on CAD in the HV. Hoping for a good winter. Interviewing with Fleet WX in POU today, can't seem to get in the door there and been 5x. Anyone else ever dealt with Fleet before? They seem obsessed with their background.

Nice, congrats. They have a great meteo program at WCSU. It gets overshadowed to an extent by the two PSU's and SUNY Albany, but they definitely hold their own down in Danbury.

6 hours ago, HeinzGuy said:

Thought it went alright, took a weather test which would be easy for most in this board, stuff like which side of a hurricane has the strongest winds, is brighter colder or warmer on IR, think I stand a good chance of getting the job, like Rob said little worried about the pay though...

Good luck, hope they take you onboard. You can use it as work experience in landing something better in an other organization, that could pay better.

6 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I was over on 9G today by Dutchess Stadium, the damage from the May storm is very evident with the foliage down now. Wow. 

Yea, I was over that way over the weekend. By the castle point area and by Dutchess stadium the damage is focused around. Lines up with the Newbrgh/Balmville area where the Tornado/microburst traveled across.

• Like 1

I had big fluffy flakes falling for the last few hours. The ground is nicely coated, it could probably be  measured if I thought it mattered ;)  Looks like now we head into the warmer period and see more wet hours than dry hours for the next 2 1/2 days. Hopefully that's wrong and it doesn't warm up quite as much as forecasted. 

edit: Well, I guess I was wrong about it ending. It snowed steadily, but lightly, almost the whole afternoon. We were in Danbury for a few hours and it was super light over there and didn't accumulate at all but here at home it was another .1-.2. 

Not sure which thread to post this info?  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we need different threads for different events so folks can go to one thread for comprehensive observation information.  For Wantage NJ, 4 sw elevation ~740'MSL (Sussex County).  Yesterdays (12/13/18) 0.4" fluffy snow 630A-Noon.  Then overnight, freezing drizzle iced up all untreated surfaces.  Those surfaces slowly trying to melt at 715AM, with a temp of 33.1

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Not sure which thread to post this info?  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we need different threads for different events so folks can go to one thread for comprehensive observation information.  For Wantage NJ, 4 sw elevation ~740'MSL (Sussex County).  Yesterdays (12/13/18) 0.4" fluffy snow 630A-Noon.  Then overnight, freezing drizzle iced up all untreated surfaces.  Those surfaces slowly trying to melt at 715AM, with a temp of 33.1

Feel free to post in here any time Walt.  You’ll see that if there is a bigger event focused on the area that the majority of posters in this sub forum live there will be a separate thread for that event. Even in those times though you’ll see us north and west folks will be posting more in here. You’ll also see some of us may post the same info in two different threads.  There’s only a few of us that enjoy tracking weather all of the time, but there are plenty that come out of the woodwork if there is a big snowstorm around. That applies across this entire board. As for yesterday’s event, .7 of all snow here (2 miles south of KMGJ), no freezing drizzle that I can tell. A nice wintry look out there this morning soon to be melted away unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Thank you IrishRob17:  I am concerned that non convective observed information is not being distributed a timely fashion by NWS (yes, I realize they have staffing/product/internal guidelines-time constraints that determine what happens).  I think we need a national database whereby everything observed (non-platform, non-coop-non-CoCORAHS) that is submitted for review, is available by state and event or single day of the week.  Let the user-consumer beware of questionable data and appropriately filter.  

In any case...  I am thinking we are going to need a separate thread (NON model comments) of observed winter weather for Sunday-Monday Dec 16-17, I80 north from ne PA nw NJ nwd into NYS and east eventually into New England.  That way,  I know interested consumers (you/I, NWS) have one spot to go in this NYC thread for pertinent observed ice/snow for this probable coming event.  I know there are other chats...but I can't submit to all of these and I choose this forum as a best fit for now; also now submitting again tor MOE-FSU (Bob Hart's page) as my time allows, ditto NWS PHI.    We can begin that separate event thread tomorrow afternoon sometime--i just want to keep it simple, free of time consuming model debate, whereby American Weather has other threads that can continue all of that.  I just like simplicity for swift data review-thats why I like platforms. Thanks for considering. Walt 12/14/18 903AM

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Thank you IrishRob17:  I am concerned that non convective observed information is not being distributed a timely fashion by NWS (yes, I realize they have staffing/product/internal guidelines-time constraints that determine what happens).  I think we need a national database whereby everything observed (non-platform, non-coop-non-CoCORAHS) that is submitted for review, is available by state and event or single day of the week.  Let the user-consumer beware of questionable data and appropriately filter.  

In any case...  I am thinking we are going to need a separate thread (NON model comments) of observed winter weather for Sunday-Monday Dec 16-17, I80 north from ne PA nw NJ nwd into NYS and east eventually into New England.  That way,  I know interested consumers (you/I, NWS) have one spot to go in this NYC thread for pertinent observed ice/snow for this probable coming event.  I know there are other chats...but I can't submit to all of these and I choose this forum as a best fit for now; also now submitting again tor MOE-FSU (Bob Hart's page) as my time allows, ditto NWS PHI.    We can begin that separate event thread tomorrow afternoon sometime--i just want to keep it simple, free of time consuming model debate, whereby American Weather has other threads that can continue all of that.  I just like simplicity for swift data review-thats why I like platforms. Thanks for considering. Walt 12/14/18 903AM

I agree.

5 hours ago, wdrag said:

I agree on the observations.  I have pretty detailed records that go back at my location 12-13 years. You’ll see that I’m the guy that can’t stand the anecdotal observations like the eye ball measurements or “We’re getting crushed!” when we know darn well that visibility is well above a mile. Be prepared for plenty of obs like those, that said, there are some other folks on here that pride themselves on their observations and records so you’ll find at least some good info I believe. 

• Like 1

While some of my obs are anecdotal, as you call them, I did measure the distance to certain landmarks so I could give more accurate visibility obs. I do generally go out and stick a ruler in the snow, sometimes in a variety of spots especially when it's windy because I have such a wide discrepancy around my property. With the septic and leach field in the front I find that unless it's crazy cold and the ground is frozen at least a couple of inches down I can't trust the numbers from the front at all due to melting from underneath. It doesn't help that the trees around my yards are 50+ feet tall. Due to being on a hill with very little flat ground that isn't either wind exposed or affected by warm ground or street salts I don't really have a great place to situate a snow board, I could put one out in the backyard but it's surrounded by huge trees so depths vary wildly so I figure it's better to take a median or average reading.

2 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Ok so i know rob will have some comments, but i havent been paying any attention at all. How bad is this supposed to be tmrw? Driving to hershey in the morning and i dont want to be driving through western jersey/pa in freezing rain....help me @IrishRob17 lol

Yeah, you need more help than anyone here could possibly provide. As for the weather, you know that I’m dumber than I look plus I’ve been busy this weekend with my sons graduation so I haven’t looked at much, not that that would make a difference...

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Ok so i know rob will have some comments, but i havent been paying any attention at all. How bad is this supposed to be tmrw? Driving to hershey in the morning and i dont want to be driving through western jersey/pa in freezing rain....help me @IrishRob17 lol

I don't think anybody is too surprised that you're not paying attention ;) 

• Like 1

I know that people are making and have plans and will want to know what the weather will be like as far as traveling ( maybe someone would see fit to begin a thread on Xmas holiday travel weather ? ) --> I just looked at this upcoming weekend and a few models have a big wet mess for Friday and Saturday = again thats wet NOT white. Then I looked and it seems some models still have a" possible" White system around the 24th and yes still plenty of time thats a week away.