Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

4 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

8.5 inches as of 8:45

This feels like a continuation of last March/April

I was just saying that to you in the other thread lol- might be the shortest gap between the last 6" snowfall at NYC (April 2 2018) and the first 6" snowfall at NYC (November 15 2018) in the next season.

Haha me either, I actually haven't been outside other than stepping out the back door to stick a ruler in the snow last night since I got home around 5:30 yesterday. I'm so not looking forward to cleaning this up. It's heavy and frozen and the plow pile at the end of the driveway looks like it's totally gonna suck :violin:

4 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

.78 melted down, which is close to what KMGJ recorded. There was 10.5” on the board just now after compaction, I’ll have to figure out what to put in my records as clearly it was more than 10.5” before the sleet arrived. 

I assume that liquid includes any rain? I notched 8.8" total on .88" LE - measured once at the instant the snow turned to sleet, and then again as soon as this morning's burst was over. It seems like my ratios are often slightly lower than other areas, so I'm curious as to whether it's a real difference or an issue with my methodology. I wonder if being closer to the ML centers put a hamper on snow growth here. I did notice some moderate riming fairly early in the event

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

I assume that liquid includes any rain? I notched 8.8" total on .88" LE - measured once at the instant the snow turned to sleet, and then again as soon as this morning's burst was over. It seems like my ratios are often slightly lower than other areas, so I'm curious as to whether it's a real difference or an issue with my methodology. I wonder if being closer to the ML centers put a hamper on snow growth here. I did notice some moderate riming fairly early in the event

Yeah, that includes everything but...I don’t know if the cylinder was overflowing last night. This morning the snow was settled down 2-3” from the top. 

7 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

I had graupelgeddon for about 5 minutes, enough to count as .1" new snow but eh... probably not gonna log it. I refuse to let Dippin' Dots handicap my average snowfall per event this early in the season.

Days with measurable snow>than your silly average snowfall stats B)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

Days with measurable snow>than your silly average snowfall stats B)

Hmmm, definitely an argument to be made there. Maybe I'll keep two books from now on to back up all narratives. That's cool to do in science, right? 

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours Rob, and to everyone else. May your turkey be moist and may nobody use that word to describe it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Hmmm, definitely an argument to be made there. Maybe I'll keep two books from now on to back up all narratives. That's cool to do in science, right? 

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours Rob, and to everyone else. May your turkey be moist and may nobody use that word to describe it. 

Two sets of books has worked in the business world for centuries, why wouldn't it work in the science world?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Animal said:

Still have around 6 inches of snow cover. Snow cover starts around 950 ft from what I can tell.

current temp 14f. Expect to hit around 5 or 6f. This cold blast is ridiculous.

thin layer of ice on the lakes today. Earliest I can recall.

My pond is frozen about a half inch thick, perfect for sliding rocks and sticks across to hear the shooting lazers sound. Love that. 

11F here atm, but nice and toasty under the outdoor LP heater and an awesome moon. Wish I still had some snow but I never hold pack well up here. 

13 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

My wife has banned that word from the house.  We were up in the berkshires for the day.  It was legit cold.  Happy turkey day.