Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

33 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

Wow, what an over achiever this snow storm!  7 nches here and still wooly mammothing out there!  I thought we would only get half of this. 

I busted hard on this event. Official sources did too, but my concerns were mostly with QPF instead of p-type. Even as late as this morning, I would have bet good money against anyone seeing anything close to 10". Seems a lot easier to verify warning criteria snows than it used to be, much to our rejoicing. A nice storm for any time of the year, let alone when you can still buy discounted Halloween candy at Walgreens.

I'm eyeballing 5.5" here. I'll go fetch a ruler and see if I'm just as wrong with that. :)

• Like 2

Looks like I'm going to finish with a bit over 7" unless there's another serious burst. Not bad for November, it started around 4pm so about 2"/hr. It was really grainy at the beginning but started sticking to the roads almost immediately and now it's going back to grainy after a few hours of nice big flakes. Wind is coming up now from the south too.

15 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

QuickChek in Florida, about a dozen others here as well. 

Hope they are open 24 hours.  Son-in -law is stuck in Peekskill, the 2 hotels there are booked solid and there's many commuters stuck  with nowhere to go. My son-in-law got lucky and knows a person who lives in town and said come on over. Hang in there buddy 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Hopefully the roads start clearing up now that the worst is over. I've gone over to mostly sleet after 7.8", and the dryslot is quickly approaching.

I'm off to pick my brother up at HPN now. Hopefully 684 isn't bad.

Good luck. Stay safe  10.5" OTG with sleet mixing in.

• Thanks 1

Usually I'm all excited to go out and shovel and be out in the storm while it's doing its thing, not so much tonight. It's just plain old ugly out there, it's windy and sleeting and just well, yuck. I must be getting old :unsure: 

About an hour ago 3 cars came down the street within a minute of each other, it had been over an hour before that and now it's been another hour with no activity. I'm guessing the roads are a real mess. Julian be careful going through this area...

Seems like everyone is safe, good news. Tonight was memorable for the wrong reasons for a lot of folks. I just got to the airport a few minutes ago after a couple harrowing hours. Waze took me over NY 55 to 22 to avoid tie-ups on 84, and boy was that a bad call. Dozens of stuck/abandoned cars on the inclines and even a state plow appeared to be immobilized somehow, but not sure what the deal with that was.