Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

Just now, Juliancolton said:

Hey that seems pretty rare, I wonder how often that happens...

It's been mood flakes on and off here all morning.

From about the Dover/Pawling line north it's more common than further south at this point in the season, along the Taconic spine that line seems to be somewhere around Rt 55. It's like the high country in that area gobbles up the last of it and it transitions to more of a coastal influence until things get truly cold and continental air overwhelms and the offshore waters cool down to the low 40's then the line moves down into north central Westchester/Fairfield counties from about Mt Kisco across to Wilton.

The frigid air mass but warm ground is going to create quite the disparity between deck/grill/car/patio table measurements and those taken on a board properly married to the earth. I can't wait for the PNS to look something like this...

NEW WINDSOR...11.0"...PUBLIC
NEWBURGH.......8.0"...FACEBOOK
2 W NEWBURGH...8.0"...FACEBOOK
CORNWALL.......6.0"...SOCIAL MEDIA
1 N NEWBURGH...2.4"...TRAINED SPOTTER 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

The frigid air mass but warm ground is going to create quite the disparity between deck/grill/car/patio table measurements and those taken on a board properly married to the earth. I can't wait for the PNS to look something like this...

Will the “eye balling” measurements be affected?

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

This is why you dont mow too short before winter. Shove the ruler down and measure to the tops of the snow sticking on the longest blades of grass. 4” minimum here tomorrow. 

• Haha 3

There will be a burst of blinding snowfall rates early tomorrow evening at the nose of the WAA, but it's gonna be cruising through at break-neck speeds, then we sleet for a brief time before the dryslot moves in around midnight and graces us with drizzle for the rest of the night. We probably have 3 to 4 hours in which to amass most of our snow, at least at the front-end - it's a toss-up as to whether the band pivots back through after sunup with anything substantial. Call it 2-5" with preference for the low end?

7 hours ago, BxEngine said:

This is why you dont mow too short before winter. Shove the ruler down and measure to the tops of the snow sticking on the longest blades of grass. 4” minimum here tomorrow. 

I didn't get a chance to mow once the leaves started coming down and the grass was already a few inches at that point. I'm looking at 6" at least :snowing:

6 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

There will be a burst of blinding snowfall rates early tomorrow evening at the nose of the WAA, but it's gonna be cruising through at break-neck speeds, then we sleet for a brief time before the dryslot moves in around midnight and graces us with drizzle for the rest of the night. We probably have 3 to 4 hours in which to amass most of our snow, at least at the front-end - it's a toss-up as to whether the band pivots back through after sunup with anything substantial. Call it 2-5" with preference for the low end?

What are you thinking for start time? I'm going to be east of you in CT around lunchtime then have to head down to Newtown and Danbury mid afternoon.

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I didn't get a chance to mow once the leaves started coming down and the grass was already a few inches at that point. I'm looking at 6" at least :snowing:

What are you thinking for start time? I'm going to be east of you in CT around lunchtime then have to head down to Newtown and Danbury mid afternoon.

I've been thinking 5 pm here, so maybe an hour earlier in Fairfield? The mesos seem in pretty good agreement that the column is saturated and primed along the 84 corridor by 22z

58 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

For where? Here's 2 pm for my location on the HRRR, which seems to have a good handle vs. current obs regionally. Doesn't exactly scream off to the races...

UDqLOhP.png

currently 27/16 here. That dewpt. is still a little low. I'm thinking late afternoon here for a start time.

38 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

currently 27/16 here. That dewpt. is still a little low. I'm thinking late afternoon here for a start time.

Yeah havent looked at soundings in awhile, kids science fair is being packed into an early dismissal day now :( but for down here it looked like around 1 or 2 we’d stsrt saturating the entire column.

Just to illustrate my point about the brevity of accumulating snow (ignoring any .3"/hr stuff in the very beginning and the chance at a heavy squall with the decaying wraparound band tomorrow), here's the mid-level convergence zone at 00z and 03z tonight, per NAM. While really impressive looking and sure to bungle up commutes the region over, the band will have taken about three hours to visit everyone in this thread before marching off to its pivot point over Lake Placid.

I know this all sounds inherently whiny, which isn't my goal at all... I'm thrilled about the potential for advisory criteria snows less than two weeks after peak foliage. But if there were ever a time to completely toss the clown maps...

EghyByB.png

V5U2dkU.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IrishRob17 said:

What a disaster on the roads. I’m parked at a QuickChek because I can’t get to the little lady’s place of employment less than a mile away due to stuck and stranded cars. No clue when I’ll be able to get to her let alone home. 

Oh, and I’m supposed to drive to Long Island in the morning for a wedding, joy. Odds are increasing that the church will be skipped and thankfully there’s  a shuttle between the recess down the hotel. 

5 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Oh, and I’m supposed to drive to Long Island in the morning for a wedding, joy. Odds are increasing that the church will be skipped and thankfully there’s  a shuttle between the recess down the hotel. 

Im headed to work in the morning. If my wife was off today i would have just went in today and spent the night there. Im sure the main roads will be fine by 5 am but this isnt a good start lol