Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

21 hours ago, Hitman said:

Hunting season up there now.  Many trails off limits.

Like here, there are enough spots that are no hunting that it's not really a problem. I was in Rutland and their big mt bike park, Pine Hill, is a no hunting spot and the lot was full. They'll also be grooming in there for fat biking this winter with the new SnowDog they just got. What I think is a bigger issue is that state lands close to mt bikes for the winter season so that's a significant limiting factor because it lasts for months rather than just weeks. FYI, if you haven't been to Pine Hill it's worth a trip. It connects Rutland to the towns west and northwest with trails and old carriage roads. It's a big, growing network worthy of a full day of riding. Just south of there in Poultney is the new Slate Valley Trails, two of the segments are open to hunting but one is not. That network has been laid out and built by one of the old guard of VT trailbuilding and it's coming along really nicely. These two spots make western VT a real destination worthy of a weekend trip.

16 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Annoyingly windy. A birch just got blown over and landed in the boughs of an adjacent spruce, which is the only thing standing between the birch and roof of my carriage house. Should be fun to deal with.

Let me know when you've got that birch cut out, I can use some of that wood for a new project I'm working on. I need pieces up to 4 or even 5 feet long with a reasonable diameter (5-12"). I'll come up and grab some and get it out of your way.

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Like here, there are enough spots that are no hunting that it's not really a problem. I was in Rutland and their big mt bike park, Pine Hill, is a no hunting spot and the lot was full. They'll also be grooming in there for fat biking this winter with the new SnowDog they just got. What I think is a bigger issue is that state lands close to mt bikes for the winter season so that's a significant limiting factor because it lasts for months rather than just weeks. FYI, if you haven't been to Pine Hill it's worth a trip. It connects Rutland to the towns west and northwest with trails and old carriage roads. It's a big, growing network worthy of a full day of riding. Just south of there in Poultney is the new Slate Valley Trails, two of the segments are open to hunting but one is not. That network has been laid out and built by one of the old guard of VT trailbuilding and it's coming along really nicely. These two spots make western VT a real destination worthy of a weekend trip.

Let me know when you've got that birch cut out, I can use some of that wood for a new project I'm working on. I need pieces up to 4 or even 5 feet long with a reasonable diameter (5-12"). I'll come up and grab some and get it out of your way.

I haven’t checked out those trails but would like to probably next summer.

meanwhile, only got down to 33f here.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 7:31 PM, West Mtn NY said:

Snowed hard enough at the end of the Army game for 10 min to whiten the ground at Michie Stadium. 

I had snow squalls down here in NE PA that covered the ground while there were still blue skies Saturday Morning.  The pond has frozen over also (a light freeze at the top.)

On 11/11/2018 at 7:16 AM, gravitylover said:

Will do!

21F here this morning, brisk

• Like 1

I can’t recall seeing this before???

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...
Split upper flow develops Tuesday night into Wednesday as a southern
stream upper low becomes closed and cutoff from the longwave flow as
a northern stream trough passes to the north. A strong northwest
flow behind the low and strong high pressure building to the west
will bring in much colder air. There are hints that some lake effect
streamers may come within the lower Hudson Valley Wednesday
afternoon, however, left this out at this time. With the cold
airmass high settling over the region Wednesday night, and winds
decoupling, with clear skies overnight temperatures are expected to
be 10-15 degrees below normal.

5 minutes ago, Hitman said:

They can make it to the city. HV frequently. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hitman said:

7 hours ago, Ericjcrash said:

They can make it to the city. HV frequently. 

Yeah this does happen on a regular basis but by the time they get down here they don’t have the same punch as they do closer to the lakes. I’ve still seen them cause a whiteout around here, albeit brief. 

1 hour ago, Ericjcrash said:

I'd say more than that but its brief and showery. Way too far to have a band overhead too long like the mystical land south of Buffalo and up toward Watertown. 

As far as snowfall, yes, but I was referring to how often its mentioned in the NWS AFD which is what Hitman was asking

Every now and then when the timing is just right those streamers will cause a flash freeze around here but usually it's just showery and squally. 

So what are we thinking for Thursday/Friday? An inch of sleet topped with 2-4" snow sounds about right to me. Even if it's just a coating of sleet we are going to need something for the snow to stick to because the ground is still really warm. I'll hope for no or very little rain as we're already so soggy and that would just add more heat to the surface before the frozen precip.

6 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Every now and then when the timing is just right those streamers will cause a flash freeze around here but usually it's just showery and squally. 

So what are we thinking for Thursday/Friday? An inch of sleet topped with 2-4" snow sounds about right to me. Even if it's just a coating of sleet we are going to need something for the snow to stick to because the ground is still really warm. I'll hope for no or very little rain as we're already so soggy and that would just add more heat to the surface before the frozen precip.

The big ones usually happen in December.  I remember back in the early 90s we had one at night with the full moon shining in a partly cloudy sky and somehow picked up 2 inches of snow in 2 hours lol.  Another time it happened in a nearly clear sky- snow falling with the sun shining!

• Like 1