Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

5 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I really should have gotten that last mow of the season done yesterday and mulched up all the leaves, now it looks like it may be a while before it dries out enough to get that done. I'm so tired of rain... #bringbackthedrought 

Yeah, this stinks. I'm further behind on lights installation than I have been in close to a decade, and I'm trying to pinpoint leaks in my water line, but the entire yard is so soggy that it's a fool's errand to even try. Like we've been saying, the pattern will doubtless dry up just in time for DJF.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, this stinks. I'm further behind on lights installation than I have been in close to a decade, and I'm trying to pinpoint leaks in my water line, but the entire yard is so soggy that it's a fool's errand to even try. Like we've been saying, the pattern will doubtless dry up just in time for DJF.

The water line...that’s what you were talking about the other night in the banter thread. That sucks worse than this weather. 

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

The water line...that’s what you were talking about the other night in the banter thread. That sucks worse than this weather. 

Yeah, it hasn't been a fun process by any means. I had a new pump installed the other week... 3/4 HP vs the old 1/2, so it proceeded to blow a hole in the line and drain the well into the yard (it's an ancient artesian well that probably holds 10,000 gallons). I dug up the pipe 4.5 ft down and patched the major break with a repair clamp, so at least I have running water in the house while options are weighed for a more permenant fix. It's about 450 feet of pipe that goes under a patio, driveway, and maybe a barn, which is all to say that I'm really pulling for my jury rigging to hold for a while. In the meantime, it's hard to distinguish between runoff and other leaks in this wx. 

• Sad 1

At least when we had to replace the well pump (again) last year the lines were still good but when it's 390 feet down and has to be done with a little portable machine because you can't get a truck into the yard it's pretty darned expensive.

So some mixed precip on Saturday and then again on Tuesday huh. Short autumn FTL.

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

30 for the low here again, I haven’t been able to crack the 20s yet this season butnthat will soon change. . 

26 here.

Nobody really notices since it's not snow, but today's system is a textbook example of WAA precip starting earlier than expected. A lot of us will be raining in the next 1-2 hours, whereas much of yesterday's guidance showed it holding off until sunset or later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

26 here.

Nobody really notices since it's not snow, but today's system is a textbook example of WAA precip starting earlier than expected. A lot of us will be raining in the next 1-2 hours, whereas much of yesterday's guidance showed it holding off until sunset or later.

great.  The commute home should be a blast.

17 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

26 here.

I was in Eastern PA for the weekend and it snowed here in Jim Thorpe today for an hour between 9:30AM and 10:30AM then there was a lull and by the time the precip moved back in, during the afternoon, it was all rain of course.

But it was nice to see the first flakes of the season!

2 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

What an ugly drive home from Brattleboro VT yesterday evening. I should have sat down somewhere for a long dinner and waited for it to move through. I saw some snow up around Killington earlier in the day, the top of K and Pico are snowcapped already.

My boss was skiing at Killington last week. Just driving locally last night during the rain it seemed overly dark, people crawling on the roads. 

Here's a first for me to see posted. Just had a snow shower come thru.

SNOW SQUALL WARNING
NWS BINGHAMTON NY
1129 AM EST SAT NOV 10 2018

PAC069-103-127-101711-
/O.NEW.KBGM.SQ.W.0006.181110T1629Z-181110T1715Z/
1129 AM EST SAT NOV 10 2018
Lackawanna County-Pike County-Wayne County-

The National Weather Service in Binghamton has issued a

* Snow Squall Warning for...
Northeastern Lackawanna County in northeastern Pennsylvania...
Southern Wayne County in northeastern Pennsylvania...
Northwestern Pike County in northeastern Pennsylvania...

* Until 1215 PM EST.

* At 1129 AM EST, a dangerous snow squall was located over Dunmore,
or over Scranton, moving east at 35 mph.

HAZARD...Poor visibility, less than one quarter miles in heavy
snow and blowing snow. Wind gusts up to 30 mph. A quick
inch of snow is expected with this squall.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Dangerous life-threatening travel.

Locations impacted include...
Scranton, Dunmore, Carbondale, Old Forge, Archbald, Blakely, Taylor,
Dickson City, Moosic and Olyphant.

This includes the following highway exits...
Pennsylvania Interstate 81 between 180 and 194.
Interstate 84 between 1 and 34.
Interstate 380 between 20 and 24.
Interstate 476 near 131.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Reduce your speed and turn on headlights! During snow squalls, the
visibility may suddenly drop to near zero in whiteout conditions.

Wet roadways will quickly freeze. Black ice will cause roads, bridges
and overpasses to become slick and dangerous. Slow down and be
prepared for sudden loss of traction.
  • Like 1