Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

5 minutes ago, Hitman said:

What’s the status of the foliage up north?  All green down here with the maples just starting to turn a little.  Thinking of heading up to the Poughkeepsie to walk over that bridge.

In my neck of the woods you have a tree here or there but still a little early for the big show. Definitely a change in the trees this week though as they’re getting ready. 

56 minutes ago, Hitman said:

Thanks.  

What a gloomy day.  Misting on and off.  

This weather is certainly not ideal if you're in the upstate tourism trade. My friend who owns one of the u-pick apple orchards in the area was telling me last week that this would be his do-or-die weekend. Even though it hasn't been a washout, this stuff reduces the crowd to a fraction of its potential – a punch in the gut when you rely on two or three weekends out of the whole year to make your living.

The one thing that would ease the sting a bit is that the weather has been consistently lousy for a while, so it's not one of those infuriating deals where you run CoC conditions on M-F and then the skies open up first thing Saturday morning.

Yuck, it rained almost all night and now everything is soaked and soggy(er?) and my wife and I will be outside all day doing a craft fair. That's another thing that's impacted badly by this weather is outside fairs, we've had more marginal ones than good ones this year. @Juliancolton we'll be a little NE of you in Austerlitz at the historical society fair, you should come by the Looming Madness tent and say hey.

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Yuck, it rained almost all night and now everything is soaked and soggy(er?) and my wife and I will be outside all day doing a craft fair. That's another thing that's impacted badly by this weather is outside fairs, we've had more marginal ones than good ones this year. @Juliancolton we'll be a little NE of you in Austerlitz at the historical society fair, you should come by the Looming Madness tent and say hey.

I’ve heard of that fair.  Big thing.

soaked here.  Bike cancel.

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

When does that run until? I'm heading down to the Scarsdale concours now but shouldn't be back very late. I'd love to stop by and say hi if there's time.

11 hours ago, Hitman said:

I’ve heard of that fair.  Big thing.

soaked here.  Bike cancel.

Yeah I was all ready to ride yesterday but then it misted all day and after a 2+ month hand recovery I was sketched to go down on slick rocks and roots.

10 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

When does that run until? I'm heading down to the Scarsdale concours now but shouldn't be back very late. I'd love to stop by and say hi if there's time.

Sorry I had no cell signal there so couldn't reply. It was nice, ran until 4.

21 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah I was all ready to ride yesterday but then it misted all day and after a 2+ month hand recovery I was sketched to go down on slick rocks and roots.

Sorry I had no cell signal there so couldn't reply. It was nice, ran until 4.

I rode a little yesterday in the mist.  It was wet.

fwiw-went to Wilkins orchard in Yorktown and it was packed this morning.

cleared up around 3.  Got hot instantly.

B3AE2C50-A5FE-43B3-AC50-5ADBF89B9161.jpeg

FFBAB0AF-C59B-4F36-853D-C368E80DC4B4.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I will say that foliage locally has gotten a lot duller in recent days as the midpoint approaches... lots of green -> taupe -> drop going on. The lack of cool weather may have put the kibash on any nice colors from here out.

Sadly I violently agree. I’ve noticed the same thing over the past couple of days, lots of brown/yellow/green leaves dropping from all my maples. 

12 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I will say that foliage locally has gotten a lot duller in recent days as the midpoint approaches... lots of green -> taupe -> drop going on. The lack of cool weather may have put the kibash on any nice colors from here out.

I've noticed the leaves on the maples are more brown than yellow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hitman said:

Can’t come soon enough.  This, in my memory is the worst stretch of weather.  Just putrid.  Sure there have been cold , wet, hot, whatever, periods, but this warm cloudy humid for 6 weeks nonsense is beyond the pale.

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

#DewsDropping #FallsHere

To be honest, even I'm getting tired of the humidity, and I love the heat.  Plus, like you said, we've had way too much rain and cloudiness around.  

Interestingly enough, all the doors in the house have slightly swelled.  In fact, the hallway closet is really hard to open and close.  

However, I have to say, I wish we could get some nice Fall weather to transition us into the season.  This upcoming week will be a bit of a shock, and some mid-60's with pure deep blue skies would be great.

1 hour ago, JerseyWx said:

To be honest, even I'm getting tired of the humidity, and I love the heat.  Plus, like you said, we've had way too much rain and cloudiness around.  

Interestingly enough, all the doors in the house have slightly swelled.  In fact, the hallway closet is really hard to open and close.  

However, I have to say, I wish we could get some nice Fall weather to transition us into the season.  This upcoming week will be a bit of a shock, and some mid-60's with pure deep blue skies would be great.

Our back door is a struggle to open and everything in the basement is getting mildewy. I'm soooo looking forward to a dry stretch so I can open things up to dry them out.

That gives a good general idea of what happened but even within it there are microclimates that were substantially higher. That and the fact that so much of the rain this year was convective so if it missed the station or got "hidden" behind a range of hills it wasn't recorded properly like the 10"+ day that the Fairfield CT area had recently. I run into a problem where that blank cone coming out of Uptons radar is directly over me and the radar estimates of rainfall are so far off it's not even funny. On a couple of those maps there's a hole over my town and the high ranges of hills here. I know that we get more rain than Danbury but on every one of them it shows up that we got less. I go through the local WU sites a couple of times a week and the numbers are usually 20-30% higher than KDXR and are at least that much higher than KPOU (frequently higher) and the two local Mesonet sites are usually 10-20% higher but it doesn't look like those were included in these maps. The Catskills are pretty well monitored because it's the primary fresh water source for NYC and there are some decent numbers coming out of this area along the Croton River system but it misses the hilly area differences. I'd say that the 'high country' areas of the Taconics and just east did at least as well as the Catskills and in some cases better so we're at that 30" (or more) also even though these maps show mid 20's. I'd like to see the similar maps for the calendar year.

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

That gives a good general idea of what happened but even within it there are microclimates that were substantially higher. That and the fact that so much of the rain this year was convective so if it missed the station or got "hidden" behind a range of hills it wasn't recorded properly like the 10"+ day that the Fairfield CT area had 

And that’s why we have a rain gauge, or gauges, and measure. 

Here are my stats over the last 4 months, actual and departure:

June: 2.56. -1.62

July: 6.67. +2.40

Aug: 5.19. +1.59

Sept: 6.79” + 2.72

Oct: 2.96 -.36 for the month after only 11 days  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Our back door is a struggle to open and everything in the basement is getting mildewy. I'm soooo looking forward to a dry stretch so I can open things up to dry them out.

Yeah it's crazy how things swell up.  Between the very windy conditions and low dews today, we'll start to dry things out a bit.