• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

From my weekly xmACIS trawl, I discovered today that POU is in second place for the most days (88) with recorded precip through July 28. First is a tie between 2008 and 1950 with 94 days in that period, and third place is an 86-day tie between 2009 and 1953. Of marginal note is that three of those four years had BN Augusts by at least 2 degrees (though the top 10 gets you an average August departure of +0.7 so there it is). 

• Like 1

That's actually a pretty significant stat and pretty well explains why things are so lush this year. Soil moisture has been really good and even though the growing season got a slow start it has been going gangbusters ever since. Those few dry weeks were pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Today sure did turn out to be a nice day, looks like tomorrow ought to be pretty solid too. Unfortunately they're both work days so I probably won't get out to play and take advantage of them and the rest of the week looks marginal at best for outdoor activities.

23 hours ago, gravitylover said:

That's actually a pretty significant stat and pretty well explains why things are so lush this year. Soil moisture has been really good and even though the growing season got a slow start it has been going gangbusters ever since. Those few dry weeks were pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Today sure did turn out to be a nice day, looks like tomorrow ought to be pretty solid too. Unfortunately they're both work days so I probably won't get out to play and take advantage of them and the rest of the week looks marginal at best for outdoor activities.

Yeah, that dry stretch you mention happened to coincide with the hottest temps of the year (probably?), so that sort of exaggerated the sensible effects on things that you see every day – dusty yards, parched shallow-rooted annuals, high pool evap rates – but less transient metrics like soil moisture and reservoir levels were a different story. I will say though that the far interior is still getting pretty drought-y.

53 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, that dry stretch you mention happened to coincide with the hottest temps of the year (probably?), so that sort of exaggerated the sensible effects on things that you see every day – dusty yards, parched shallow-rooted annuals, high pool evap rates – but less transient metrics like soil moisture and reservoir levels were a different story. I will say though that the far interior is still getting pretty drought-y.

Sort of but not really. I spent the day in Austerlitz at the blueberry festival on Sunday and while the ground surface on high spots has a dryish feeling and dirt roads got sandy by the end of the day everything else is pretty soft. I think pretty much everywhere if you go 1" down you'll find good moisture because it just really hasn't had a chance to dry out yet this year.

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Sort of but not really. I spent the day in Austerlitz at the blueberry festival on Sunday and while the ground surface on high spots has a dryish feeling and dirt roads got sandy by the end of the day everything else is pretty soft. I think pretty much everywhere if you go 1" down you'll find good moisture because it just really hasn't had a chance to dry out yet this year.

Maybe you didn’t dry out this year but I had one of the driest June’s in my records this year, the ground was cracked before the rains came this month. We were plenty dried out for a good 6 weeks over this way.  The Wallkill got so low the park had the local FD blast silt with their hoses twice in hopes of getting a good flow of water to the pump intake for watering the golf course. By the week of 7/16 they were in a tough spot because they just couldn’t get a good draw of water and were considering applying to the DEC to dredge the river but the rains came and the levels started rising again. 

30 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

That's a pretty significant difference for less than 50 miles. 

No different than winter when I’ve got a dusting and 30 miles away is well into double digits. Obviously different dynamics in different seasons but that’s why I find microclimates so interesting because there can be vast differences in just a few miles. 

• Like 1

I will no longer be a perennial Orange County snowfall jackpot. Wife wanted out of Monroe once youngest graduated HS for reasons I wont discuss but locals understand. My new house will be at the base of Storm King Mtn in Cornwall on Hudson walking distance to the river by the marina at a paltry elevation of 261 ft. It may be for the best as the 48" in 11 days I dealt with last winter screwed up my biceps so much that they are still stiff today and make me less flexible than I used to be when reaching behind my back.

7 hours ago, West MT. NY said:

I will no longer be a perennial Orange County snowfall jackpot. Wife wanted out of Monroe once youngest graduated HS for reasons I wont discuss but locals understand. My new house will be at the base of Storm King Mtn in Cornwall on Hudson walking distance to the river by the marina at a paltry elevation of 261 ft. It may be for the best as the 48" in 11 days I dealt with last winter screwed up my biceps so much that they are still stiff today and make me less flexible than I used to be when reaching behind my back.

Oh I get it. That sucks though that we’ll lose those obs. 

12 hours ago, West MT. NY said:

Welcome to the snowhole. In the winter months, you get a great up close look of the river ice at the Cornwall marina.

1 hour ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Welcome to the snowhole. In the winter months, you get a great up close look of the river ice at the Cornwall marina.

Everywhere I've lived, extreme weather followed me. Cat 5 Charley missed my hose by 8 miles in 2004. They hadn't had a major in SW Florida since 1960. Moved up to Lk George and the VD storm hit me with 37 inches, the largest storm in memory there. The 26 inches (48 in 11 days) I got in Harriman this year along with the 16" pre Halloween storm a few yrs back was phenomenal. While I may be in a snow hole, watch for all kinds of severe weather to hit there soon enough. LOL

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

The Poughkeepsie/Arlington area got smoked by that storm, wow. Trees and lines down everywhere, widespread outages... starting to become a familiar scene this year. CenHud map and SPC reports seem to show the wind damage continued up the US 9 corridor through Rhinebeck.

5lEjC2Q.jpg

You can still see the path of that storm on the Central Hudson Outage Map this morning. 

40 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

On Wednesday I'm heading out to Westerly, where it's currently... 91/77. Between that and the white shark those dudes caught like a mile out, Misquamicut is basically a poor man's Australia these days.

We were just there a few days ago. The beach got hammered recently and there's very little left so it fills up quickly. You can't walk from the state beach toward Weekapaug because the water is right up to the rocks. That said have fun!

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

Stupid amounts of humidity, just plain stupid.

Wears ya down after a while.

41 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

We were just there a few days ago. The beach got hammered recently and there's very little left so it fills up quickly. You can't walk from the state beach toward Weekapaug because the water is right up to the rocks. That said have fun!

Wow, that's not what I like to hear. I normally spend at least a couple weekends and several day trips there, but this'll be my first visit this summer. Sometimes I'll walk the whole beach from the breachway to T-Swift's place, and the only choke point is usually that one house at the end of Atlantic Ave that sticks out into the middle of the ocean. It looks like low tide is early-mid afternoon on Wed through Sat, so maybe some mitigation of beach shrinkage during peak sunbathing hours

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Wears ya down after a while.

Wow, that's not what I like to hear. I normally spend at least a couple weekends and several day trips there, but this'll be my first visit this summer. Sometimes I'll walk the whole beach from the breachway to T-Swift's place, and the only choke point is usually that one house at the end of Atlantic Ave that sticks out into the middle of the ocean. It looks like low tide is early-mid afternoon on Wed through Sat, so maybe some mitigation of beach shrinkage during peak sunbathing hours

We got there around 2pm on Thursday and there was less than 50 feet from the dune to the water line and the seagulls were brutally aggressive. They stole the sandwich right out of my wifes hand and bit my daughter when she tried to stop them from emptying our cooler, she failed :( Around 3 I went for a walk and couldn't get past that first bar because the waves were pounding the rocks and that was as the tide was going back out. All in all until they dredge and expand the beach again I'd rather take the time and go out to Montauk and park at Kirk Beach even though it's a touch longer drive.