Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

12 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

And... there it is. Lightning, thunder and heavy rain. Woot woot, dusty hardpan trails ought to be gone for at least a few days :) and the freshly cut lawn won't brown out.

Ground is so hard and bone dry. Hope some of this soaks in. There's another cluster out to the west, we might get into some of that too.

12 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

And... there it is. Lightning, thunder and heavy rain. Woot woot, dusty hardpan trails ought to be gone for at least a few days :) and the freshly cut lawn won't brown out.

Been watching that line.

Expect not much in my area.

QVC Xmas in July! Watch fargo etc

Cheers.

I don't know if this qualifies as an interesting weather situation or not but figured I'd post it in case anyone wants to check it out.  I go kayaking and paddling on the croton river which runs from the dam to the hudson where they meet at the metro north station.  For whatever reason the DEP has been and continues to release water from the bottom of the reservoir, as opposed to allowing the warmer surface waters to spill over.  This water is extremely cold.  I was told the temperature of the water where the river becomes navigable is at 48f.  way too cold to swim.  So cold in fact, that fog forms in spots.  The air, at least right above the water in the gorge is a good 20 degrees less than the surrounding air temperature.  yesterday paddling through the fog was like out of a horror movie.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Hitman said:

I don't know if this qualifies as an interesting weather situation or not but figured I'd post it in case anyone wants to check it out.  I go kayaking and paddling on the croton river which runs from the dam to the hudson where they meet at the metro north station.  For whatever reason the DEP has been and continues to release water from the bottom of the reservoir, as opposed to allowing the warmer surface waters to spill over.  This water is extremely cold.  I was told the temperature of the water where the river becomes navigable is at 48f.  way too cold to swim.  So cold in fact, that fog forms in spots.  The air, at least right above the water in the gorge is a good 20 degrees less than the surrounding air temperature.  yesterday paddling through the fog was like out of a horror movie.

Weather or not, that’s interesting.

The ice caves at Williams Lake are pretty awesome too. Ride the rail trail north out of Rosendale a few miles and the caves are right next to the trail, it's like air conditioning in a few spots.

It's boomin' pretty good here now with a steady moderate rain coming down. Good timing too, I cut my backyard grass fairly short this morning. It's only the second time I've cut it so far this year so it was pretty high and it's thicker than it's been in 15 years. It actually looks like I have a lawn even though it's not really grass but as long as it's green it's good right?

Mesoscale Discussion 1064
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   0935 AM CDT Tue Jul 17 2018

Areas affected...Portions of New England and southeast New York

Concerning...Severe potential...Watch likely 

Valid 171435Z - 171630Z

Probability of Watch Issuance...80 percent

SUMMARY...Bands of thunderstorms are expected to intensify through
   this afternoon, resulting in an increasing threat for damaging wind
   gusts. A watch will likely be issued within the next 1-2 hours.

DISCUSSION...Regional radar data illustrate a broken band of
   thunderstorms extending from southern New Hampshire southwest
   towards the Hudson Valley late this morning. This cluster has
   persisted along the southeastern fringe of a subtle shortwave
   impulse (embedded within larger-scale cyclonic flow) over New
   England. Ahead of these storms, visible satellite suggests gradual
   low-level destabilization, evidenced by a slow decrease in wave
   clouds and an increase in boundary-layer cumulus. Amidst a very
   moist air mass (e.g., regional 12Z soundings sampled PWs around
   1.6-1.9"), further surface heating should promote MLCAPE values
   around 1000-2000 J/kg through this afternoon. In turn, thunderstorms
   are expected to further intensify over the next several hours.

Relatively uni-directional deep-layer wind profiles, combined with
   30-40 kt of mid-level flow, will encourage lines of storms capable
   of damaging winds, especially this afternoon. Considering this
   growing severe potential, watch issuance will likely be needed.

..Picca/Guyer.. 07/17/2018

image.gif

10 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Middletown, near Tower Dr

BA3B900B-DD92-4817-BB1C-A5EC9DF6E606.png

Seen the same while I was driving on 17 in goshen to Middletown. I thought I briefly seen a scud cloud, couldn't see much while driving.  At home in New Windsor, 0.16 in the bucket not much in this area vs Middletown for precip. 

Edit, with frontal passage, 2nd thundershower came thru,  total in the bucket for today 0.48

14 hours ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Seen the same while I was driving on 17 in goshen to Middletown. I thought I briefly seen a scud cloud, couldn't see much while driving.  At home in New Windsor, 0.16 in the bucket not much in this area vs Middletown for precip. 

Edit, with frontal passage, 2nd thundershower came thru,  total in the bucket for today 0.48

Late night last night, saw Foo Fighters again at the Garden. If one wants to see a great rock show, go see the Foo, they don’t disappoint. Anyway, saw that I had .48” here too yesterday. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Late night last night, saw Foo Fighters again at the Garden. If one wants to see a great rock show, go see the Foo, they don’t disappoint. Anyway, saw that I had .48” here too yesterday. 

Sounds great! It's always nice to see live shows at least once in a while, regardless of act or genre... the many folks who never do are missing a big part of the music experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Sounds great! It's always nice to see live shows at least once in a while, regardless of act or genre... the many folks who never do are missing a big part of the music experience.

Violently agree. I’ve been to hundreds of shows some of which have exposed me to bands I would have likely never heard on my own, some not so good and some very good. I’ve also missed a few up and coming bands before they made it big because I chose to tailgate in the parking lot a little longer LOL

41 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Get out there NOW and enjoy the last great evening for a while. I'm going for a ride then firing up the BBQ for some salmon burgers and ribs.

Enjoying some adult beverages in the deck right now, maybe a cigar later as well. Tomorrow is Freedom Fest here in the park with fireworks to close out the evening, looks like it’ll be a close call, I hate getting my beverage watered down. 

• Haha 1

Yeah it was soooo nice out there and the dirt was sooo good. I'll hit a ride up in VT today but I have a feeling that's the last really great one until next weekend at best. Looking like most of us in this discussion are going to see between 2-8" of rain before the week is over. I am wondering how far inland this ends up being a real thing though. Some of what I'm seeing looks like I88 might be the break line between terrible and just a wet(ish) summer week. If that's the case I'm heading NW ;)