NYC071-079-042000-
/O.NEW.KOKX.SV.W.0017.180704T1936Z-180704T2000Z/

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
National Weather Service New York NY
336 PM EDT WED JUL 4 2018

The National Weather Service in Upton NY has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  Northeastern Orange County in southeastern New York...
  Western Putnam County in southeastern New York...

* Until 400 PM EDT.

* At 336 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located over Cold Spring,
  and is nearly stationary.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Expect damage to trees and power lines.

* This severe thunderstorm will be near...
  Newburgh and New Windsor around 400 PM EDT.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

For your protection move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a
building.

Torrential rainfall is occurring with this storm, and may lead to
flash flooding. Do not drive your vehicle through flooded roadways.

&&

LAT...LON 4151 7400 4150 7400 4150 7399 4146 7400
      4144 7398 4148 7394 4145 7389 4133 7394
      4132 7396 4136 7423 4156 7409
TIME...MOT...LOC 1936Z 111DEG 4KT 4142 7400

HAIL...<.75IN
WIND...60MPH

$$

MD

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

My son was home yesterday afternoon when the thunderstorm worked through and texted me about a very loud clap of thunder that woke him up.  He found what was struck close to the house here in the park 

0DFC674D-DDEC-4A11-959C-50804F2926B9.jpeg

WOW thank god there was nobody around there and all is good at home. 

Hope snywx is ok , still nothing from him. 

Well, hopefully this first line of light rain takes the heat out and the main line won't be significant t-storms just plain rain. I just had about 15 minutes of drizzle/light rain. Seems like it's moving through pretty quickly so it looks like it might all be done by noon or so, that would be nice.

Yo snywx where are you? Hope all is well.

The heat wave will end after 7 consecutive days above 90 at POU, which is formidable but not particularly rare. There have been 14 stretches of equal or greater duration just since 1948, and that's still with the data gap... probably one or two more in that period. It'll be nice when they get the recovered records integrated into all the climate interfaces.

And yeah, hoping sny checks in soon with the good news that he merely couldn't post due to power or comms issues from the strike.

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

The heat wave will end after 7 consecutive days above 90 at POU, which is formidable but not particularly rare. There have been 14 stretches of equal or greater duration just since 1948, and that's still with the data gap... probably one or two more in that period. It'll be nice when they get the recovered records integrated into all the climate interfaces.

And yeah, hoping sny checks in soon with the good news that he merely couldn't post due to power or comms issues from the strike.

Its my second longest stretch of 90's here, I had 8 days straight in 2013.

Kinda looks like we may be done with the wetness for today. The sky is getting brighter and the ceiling is lifting.

I won't miss the heat, actually it's the oppressive nature of the airmass that I really won't miss. I hate when I just don't feel like being outside because the air is just thick and heavy, high temps in and of themselves don't really bother me.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Kinda looks like we may be done with the wetness for today. The sky is getting brighter and the ceiling is lifting.

I won't miss the heat, actually it's the oppressive nature of the airmass that I really won't miss. I hate when I just don't feel like being outside because the air is just thick and heavy, high temps in and of themselves don't really bother me.

Could get soupy again next week depending on the evolution of 96L off the Carolinas.

I got less than .1" of rain today, so not much help there. The post-frontal drying has started, but even way out in western NY, dews are still in the low 70s mostly. It'll be a gradual process over the next 12 hours.

18 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Could get soupy again next week depending on the evolution of 96L off the Carolinas.

I got less than .1" of rain today, so not much help there. The post-frontal drying has started, but even way out in western NY, dews are still in the low 70s mostly. It'll be a gradual process over the next 12 hours.

Just a quick click on various Meso's west of Binghampton and I didn't see one above the low 60's for dews.

11 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

Headed to Narrowsburg, next weekend for some river shenanigans. What are you guys thinking weather-wise? Also, how dry has it been in the upper Delaware water shed?

I'm hoping not to walk the canoes too much in the shallow spots. 

Hopefully they got more precip up there than I did in June, which was the driest since 2007.

• Sad 1

On 7/4/2018 at 1:04 PM, hudsonvalley21 said:

Thank god nobody was in there. Hope you have a fresh pair of underware to change into. Hope everyone is ok. 

Once the storm passed I went out to inspect. Turns out the tree closest to the pool was struck. It created a nice crater in the mulch as well as some fresh cut wood.

On 7/4/2018 at 1:41 PM, IrishRob17 said:

Damage?  Injuries?

Some tree damage, 2 dead squirrels  lol..

On 7/4/2018 at 4:44 PM, IrishRob17 said:

@snywx, bro, I hope we haven’t heard from you because you are enjoying the day and not for other reasons. 

All is well bro thank you for the concern tho. The only legit casualty was all the cable lines coming into my house were fried. Spectrum came out, replaced the cables now all is well. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, snywx said:

Once the storm passed I went out to inspect. Turns out the tree closest to the pool was struck. It created a nice crater in the mulch as well as some fresh cut wood.

Some tree damage, 2 dead squirrels  lol..

All is well bro thank you for the concern tho. The only legit casualty was all the cable lines coming into my house were fried. Spectrum came out, replaced the cables now all is well. 

Great to hear everything and everyone is ok :thumbsup: