Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

1 hour ago, JerseyWx said:

Thanks man!  Yeah you did mention it.  That band was wicked.  Social media reported 25" in Butler and Kinnelon, but 23" was my most consistent measurement so I feel comfortable.

Yup I measured 22.8 and Mt golly replaced with a bogus 25 from social media . 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, that's incredible. Like you said, the potential for a proficient band was well advertised by the mesos, but I never would have guessed we'd see a big swath of 20+ totals... more like a couple isolated spots. There were even a couple 20.0" reports in northern Dutchess and Columbia, but both were sourced from facebook and end in "point zero" so who knows about those, lol. Really nice performer for the interior.

13.1" as I prepare for bed. One of those little low-level HV convergence bands has set up over me as they often do in the wake of big coastal lows... probably a few tenths of an inch per hour, just enough to keep my total from being final. :)

Yeah still going here too but I'm calling it, might go into tonight, added like 1/2"...9.5 total

Cool storm :) I wish there wasn't so much shoveling involved though ;) So far I've spent a little over 4 hours and still have at least another hour to go. I didn't bring the yardstick out with me last night but it was easily 16" and might have been closer to 18", I'll measure the settled amount in a little while when I get out to finish cleaning up. I really wish it had been a few degrees colder, this would have easily hit 2 feet and wouldn't be so damned heavy to shovel although the lowest layer would still be mush because it was so warm the few days leading up to the storm.

Facebook quality rant ahead:

I really wanted to hurt the town plow driver last night <_< He made 2 high speed passes down my side of the street yesterday then for the final pass last night he went by at about 30mph with the wing blade out and threw snow nearly 20 feet up the driveway I had just almost finished clearing. The street is only 11 feet wide so when he goes back the other way there's almost nothing left to push off that side. Since it's a dead end with a cul de sac it takes a few minutes for him to get back so I pushed as much as I could across the street rather than lifting it onto a head high 4 foot thick bank so it would just get pushed away. So what did he do as he got to it? Lifted the blade and left it there, tooted the horn just to prove how big a dick he was and that was it. So that left me pushing it all back then lifting it anyway :( Now when I go out I still have to move a section about 7' x 3' worth of super heavy consolidated plow bank and do about 400 square feet of the upper driveway that sucks to do because the house is in the way on two sides and there's a four foot high wall on the third that already has a two foot snow wall on top of it and the shed and a car on the fourth. Every shovel load needs to be lifted and carried down the driveway and lofted onto that head high bank by my fat old self :weight_lift: Thanks for listening :cory:

We used to have a great driver, he would actually slow down as he got to driveways and if they weren't already cleared he would stick the wing blade out and push the bank back to the downstream side. He also alternated which side of the street he came down for the first pass to even out the bank sizes. Right now my side is a bit over 3 feet high and 4 feet thick while the other side is mid shin and not even a foot thick. It's going to be weeks before I can park on the parking pad I carved out because it's filled with that plow bank so it's juggling cars to get the one I need out which is an unnecessary pain in the butt. Oh well, I got the frustration out so I sort of feel better, doesn't hurt that I finished a cup of coffee either :P

8 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

We used to have a great driver, he would actually slow down as he got to driveways and if they weren't already cleared he would stick the wing blade out and push the bank back to the downstream side. He also alternated which side of the street he came down for the first pass to even out the bank sizes. Right now my side is a bit over 3 feet high and 4 feet thick while the other side is mid shin and not even a foot thick. It's going to be weeks before I can park on the parking pad I carved out because it's filled with that plow bank so it's juggling cars to get the one I need out which is an unnecessary pain in the butt. Oh well, I got the frustration out so I sort of feel better, doesn't hurt that I finished a cup of coffee either :P

After the last storm I drove my tractor a couple miles down the road to help a neighbor dig out the bottom of her driveway... the ride took about 15 minutes each way. I can be at your place by suppertime!

• Haha 1

Cool storm  I wish there wasn't so much shoveling involved though  So far I've spent a little over 4 hours and still have at least another hour to go. I didn't bring the yardstick out with me last night but it was easily 16" and might have been closer to 18", I'll measure the settled amount in a little while when I get out to finish cleaning up. I really wish it had been a few degrees colder, this would have easily hit 2 feet and wouldn't be so damned heavy to shovel although the lowest layer would still be mush because it was so warm the few days leading up to the storm.
Facebook quality rant ahead:
I really wanted to hurt the town plow driver last night <_ made speed passes down my side of the street yesterday then for final pass last night he went by at about with wing blade out and threw snow nearly feet up driveway i had just almost finished clearing. is only wide so when goes back other way there nothing left to push off that side. since it a dead end cul de sac takes few minutes him get pushed as much could across rather than lifting onto head high foot thick would away. what did do got lifted tooted horn prove how big dick was it. me pushing all anyway go still have move section x super heavy consolidated plow bank square upper sucks because house in on two sides four wall third already has top shed car fourth. every shovel load needs be carried lofted fat old self src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_weight_lift.gif" alt=":weight_lift:"> Thanks for listening :cory:
I know how you feel. I literally had to dive out of the way of one yesterday while walking around snapping pictures during the storm and I was wearing a black coat...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

The responses in this thread are hilarious. 21" in my town... give me a break.

I can tell you this, if I used the old way of measuring I would've been in the 14-16" range.  So who knows how people measure.  In your area someone may have measured the snow pack and not just the storm total. I'm convinced the majority of snow totals are incorrect and I don't care if the person is Skywarned trained or not LOL.

11 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I can tell you this, if I used the old way of measuring I would've been in the 14-16" range.  So who knows how people measure.  In your area someone may have measured the snow pack and not just the storm total. I'm convinced the majority of snow totals are incorrect and I don't care if the person is Skywarned trained or not LOL.

Yup. Like I've said in the past, I think snow measuring is inherently subjective and there's no "right" way to do it, but there are definitely some very, very wrong ways...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I agree, measuring is so inconsistent and very subjective like Julian said.  That's why I like that Rgwp and I got the same measurement.  I'm not discounting the higher totals that were reported (25" in both Butler and Kinnelon), but at least we know that it was done to the best of our abilities.  Avoiding drifts and not slant sticking are crucial lol.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

I agree, measuring is so inconsistent and very subjective like Julian said.  That's why I like that Rgwp and I got the same measurement.  I'm not discounting the higher totals that were reported (25" in both Butler and Kinnelon), but at least we know that it was done to the best out of our abilities.  Avoiding drifts and not slant sticking are crucial lol.

Late season events & elevation really play a big time factor. Look at the 3/2 event. I know there was other factors involved but one thing that really mattered was elevation. I was in that subsidence zone and still managed 3" simply cause of elevation. Areas 3 miles to my east & 300' lower had 0 while areas 3 miles to my west 200' higher had 8-12". 

13 minutes ago, snywx said:

Late season events & elevation really play a big time factor. Look at the 3/2 event. I know there was other factors involved but one thing that really mattered was elevation. I was in that subsidence zone and still managed 3" simply cause of elevation. Areas 3 miles to my east & 300' lower had 0 while areas 3 miles to my west 200' higher had 8-12". 

Very true.  With early and late season storms, elevation is usually one of the most important factors.  The thing that really helped my area this time, and the I-287 Corridor in general, was that mega band that just parked over us and dumped 3"+ an hour rates at times.

9 minutes ago, snywx said:

I wish we had an accurate up to date snowfall average map for the interior. My guess for O.C would be anyone up to 500' averages 45", around 750' averages 50", 1000' or above averages 55"+. What do you guys think?

Not a bad place to start.  Sadly because of the issues mentioned above with folks measuring inconsistently I believe that we'll never know for sure. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2018 at 1:13 PM, Juliancolton said:

The responses in this thread are hilarious. 21" in my town... give me a break. Even if you included the existing pack and took hourly measurements, it wouldn't have been close to that. I think the general public are bigger weenies than we are sometimes

I drove through your area this morning and noticed how well you hold onto snow compared to just west of you. From the Taconic down into Rhinebeck it drops slowly then falls off a cliff as you cross 9G. How close are you to the Bulls Head Road exit? Nice area there.

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018