Delaware-Sullivan-
Including the cities of Delhi, Walton, and Monticello
916 PM EST Sat Feb 3 2018

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM SUNDAY TO
1 AM EST MONDAY...

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Plan on slippery road
  conditions. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 4 inches in the
  valleys, with up to 6 inches over the higher terrain. Ice
  accumulations of a light glaze are expected.

* WHERE...Delaware and Sullivan Counties.

* WHEN...From 7 AM Sunday to 1 AM EST Monday.

12 minutes ago, SEC said:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Binghamton NY

NYZ057-062-050230-
/O.CON.KBGM.WW.Y.0008.180204T1200Z-180205T0600Z/
Delaware-Sullivan-
Including the cities of Delhi, Walton, and Monticello

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM SUNDAY TO
1 AM EST MONDAY...

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Plan on slippery road
  conditions. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 4 inches in the
  valleys, with up to 6 inches over the higher terrain. Ice
  accumulations of a light glaze are expected.

* WHERE...Delaware and Sullivan Counties.

* WHEN...From 7 AM Sunday to 1 AM EST Monday.

You are gonna have a fun week up there! Hopefully we can join in on the party down here in O.C

A lot of conflicting model data today with the foreign models coming in much colder than the Americans. Will be interesting for north of 84 for sure. An appropriate storm for Super Bowl Sunday because of the battleground of cold air vs warm. Gonna say that the defense wins this round for Ulster and Dutchess and we stay mostly snow.

Edit...just saw the main thread and looks like the consensus is its not really close for north of 84...probably snow

I had to make a quick trip up to Poughkeepsie this evening and it was pouring most of the way. Pn the west side of the Taconic crest it was pretty nasty freezing rain, you could see the ice layer creeping in from the side of the road and branches were hanging pretty low in a few places. As soon as I came back over the east side of the crest it got foggy again as the temp jumped about 5 degrees.  @White Gorilla did it warm up before it finished?

9 hours ago, snywx said:

Surprised to come home to snow cover. Prob 2" or so fell but the flip to ice most def compacted everything. Right now I have 1.5" at the stake and thats what im gonna go with.

IMG_4395.jpg

The rules seem to change every other year but I believe its back to clear the  board every 6 hours (at least that's what the weather channel stated a couple of weeks ago) and add the totals at storms conclusion. Barring that, go with maximum depth that fell at some point during the event. I'd go with the 2 inches.

No problem here with measuring yesterday light snow fell for  a couple of hours but no accumulation. Still snow cover in most areas leftover from Friday.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

The rules seem to change every other year but I believe its back to clear the  board every 6 hours (at least that's what the weather channel stated a couple of weeks ago) and add the totals at storms conclusion. Barring that, go with maximum depth that fell at some point during the event. I'd go with the 2 inches.

No problem here with measuring yesterday light snow fell for  a couple of hours but no accumulation. Still snow cover in most areas leftover from Friday.

Back to clearing the board every 6 hours?  Were you able to confirm that with the NWS?  That definitely would have changed  some of my snow totals this year, I’ve been doing the one measurement at the end of the snowfall.  @NorthShoreWx, did you see anything on this?

37 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Is this confirmed?

5 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Back to clearing the board every 6 hours?  Were you able to confirm that with the NWS?  That definitely would have changed  some of my snow totals this year, I’ve been doing the one measurement at the end of the snowfall.  @NorthShoreWx, did you see anything on this?

I figured it was the total at the end of the event that goes into the books... I could be wrong tho. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I searched and couldn't find anything about another change in the guidelines back to 6 hour clearing.  I think one person thinks that, tells someone, who tells someone else, then it's all over that "they went back to doing it some other way".  When in reality nothing has changed.

But since there doesn't not seem to be a central clearing house for the latest methodologies, it's hard to make a definitive case.  What I did find indicates that we wipe the board no more than once per day and measure snowfall at the peak depth before it compacts.

snowmeasure.jpg

There is conflicting stuff all over that never gets updated.  This is from the ATL NWS office and is 6 years old:

https://www.weather.gov/media/ffc/snow_measurement_guidelines.pdf

People will read that and not notice the date.  As if they get much opportunity to practice in Atlanta.  There should be a central location for the latest guidelines.

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018