• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

I always love reading the ice reports from the Hudson River Ice Yacht Club (http://www.hriyc.org/current.html). Today's discussion was particularly detailed, not to mention optimistic about a winter reload toward the end of the month. They actually seem hopeful that the upcoming mild wx will improve conditions for them in the long run. If the ice is really a foot thick up by Barrytown, I'm definitely gonna make my way up there early this week to stroll atop the river for a while.

41 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Stuck at 4° like last night.

2 below zero here. Suspect the angle of cold air will favor the deep valley locations in the morning.

Honestly...sorta of a bummer I did not get below zero this morning for a low.

Impressive cold snap for sure...but not near my all time record low of -12 F a few years back.

If the winds slow down...maybe Walpack or Sussex get cold.

47 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I always love reading the ice reports from the Hudson River Ice Yacht Club (http://www.hriyc.org/current.html). Today's discussion was particularly detailed, not to mention optimistic about a winter reload toward the end of the month. They actually seem hopeful that the upcoming mild wx will improve conditions for them in the long run. If the ice is really a foot thick up by Barrytown, I'm definitely gonna make my way up there early this week to stroll atop the river for a while.

Interesting read.

Our main Lake in Highland Lakes...I saw 5 ice vessels on the lake today.

There is a medium group of people that have boats with skates/sails/

Told my wife...these are the people that appreciate winter and wind/boating.

I heard the ice on the lake near me is 20 inches deep.

5 minutes ago, Animal said:

2 below zero here. Suspect the angle of cold air will favor the deep valley locations in the morning.

Honestly...sorta of a bummer I did not get below zero this morning for a low.

Impressive cold snap for sure...but not near my all time record low of -12 F a few years back.

If the winds slow down...maybe Walpack or Sussex get cold.

Yeah, if we can get conditions to go clear and calm then the spots that typically radiate well will drop like a rock.  3.5° now.

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

You wouldn't normally think that walking out into 17* would be pleasant but... :)

Yep, it felt totally balmy this morning.

I was down at Plum Point in New Windsor this morning and the river appears to be frozen solid even that far south now. Sunrise was a bust, but I had fun watching a big barge get stuck in the ice as its two tugs and a dinky little CG ship tried cutting circles around it to free it. Looking at Vesselfinder, it seems like there are at least two more barges locked in off Kingston at the moment. Mayhem on the river.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Preliminary peak of 49F here. Nearly a 70 degree increase in four days... not sure why some folks in the main threads are calling it a busted thaw. It's a major shock to the system.

Probably because they don’t know what a thaw is...it is above freezing, well above freezing, and the snow is melting, no bust about that IMO. Of course with some of the legit torches we’ve had in recent years has set the bar high too I suppose. 

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018