Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

7 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

The BL never mixed out today. I know it's kind of an esoteric thing to get excited about but I don't believe I've ever seen a cloud inversion lasting all day long in this part of the country. We'd have to get some pretty intense cold or snow this month to objectively out-anomaly today

Yeah, I couldn’t believe how thick the fog was last evening when I was out and about a bit.  Very interesting but lost on many as big snow and/or cold is all that many folks notice. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

The BL never mixed out today. I know it's kind of an esoteric thing to get excited about but I don't believe I've ever seen a cloud inversion lasting all day long in this part of the country. We'd have to get some pretty intense cold or snow this month to objectively out-anomaly today

10° drop while driving from Monroe to Middletown last night at about 1am. Very impressive to say the least.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I just love how we finally have a December with a lot of potential again, its been years since we've had this, as we all know.

13th-15th has been on the radar for many for awhile now. Even the 12z CMC shows it now. This might actually be our first legit threat of the season. This weekend never really looked good for anything other than flurries for our area.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yeah, I couldn’t believe how thick the fog was last evening when I was out and about a bit.  Very interesting but lost on many as big snow and/or cold is all that many folks notice. 

Aye, down by the river, vis was about as close to 0 as you'll see. I don't usually mind driving in inclement wx but last night kinda gave me the spooks when you couldn't see tail lights on cars in front of you until you were within maybe 30 ft. Somebody could pull out or stop and you'd have no idea until you were inside their trunk.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

We may salvage our first accumulating snowfall up here.. 

You never got any snow to stick during those two or three mid-November light precip events? I'm at 0.8" on the season which, while meager, means I already lost my first snowfall virginity. I assumed the same was true of most in this thread

Just now, Juliancolton said:

You never got any snow to stick during those two or three mid-November light precip events? I'm at 0.8" on the season which, while meager, means I already lost my first snowfall virginity. I assumed the same was true of most in this thread

Slant sticker ;)  My snow total to date is the same as Mr. Blutarsky's grade point average.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

In addition ti the Thruway cams we now have the Mesonet cams to do a virtual lake effect chase.  

And a pretty good selection of highway cams along the Taconic and a few other major roads here on the east side of the river. Couch touring with a fresh cold beer is the best way to travel when the weather is uncooperative.

Here's one for the Thruway system

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers/map/index.html?layer=cameras

This is regional. Click the box on the menu on the right side next to cameras and it shows for all over the area, some in CT and NJ and a whole bunch in NY.

https://www.511ny.org/

I don't know what's up with this but there used to be a bunch of links through this page

https://www3.westchestergov.com/news/3959-use-the-county-traffic-cameras-to-plan-travel

WU has the links for all of the Taconic cams here and actually all of the NYDOT cams. Some links work, some don't. You may want to try to save some of the links because it looks like next week they are removing the page forever.

https://www.wunderground.com/webcams/nydot/547/show.html

More

http://data.lohud.com/embeds/NYCtrafficcam/

• Like 1

On 12/2/2017 at 9:56 AM, gravitylover said:

I was just looking at some of the local mesonet stations and the soil temps are still really high. With the warm rains coming later this week it's going to go even higher. Doesn't bode well for a long lasting snowpack if the cold shot coming does put down a reasonable amount of snow.

Soil temps around me this morning are 36-37, but I have no idea how that relates to "normal".

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018