• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

I think its the above normal temps that will keep it from being epic.  From everything that I've read over the years a dry spell in the fall helps with the colors making them more vibrant but the warm days and cools nights are key.  The very warm to hot days and warms nights is what is doing the damage IMO.

.5 for the two days but it's been near constant light mist or drizzle making it just plain soggy. I was out and about today and took some tiny back roads over the top of the Taconics and the color was great but mostly yellows and oranges without much for the vivid reds we usually get a lot of, those trees were already either bare or had just turned brown and crunchy. Above ~1k feet the wind was pretty strong and it was raining leaves as hard as it was raining water, both were coming down in sheets. It was weird to be out in that environment where it looks like deep deep fall but the AC is on cold in the car because it's 71/70 and feels tropical.

Took a drive this afternoon around northern Dutchess and southern Columbia, and all I can say is the colors are a big disappointment in that particular microclimate. Lots of bare trees already giving rise to the "past peak" feel, but without any of the residual vibrancy that would normally accompany that stage... just indistinct, muddled shades of like taupe or sickly brown. I'll probably give it a few more days and then start hitting the gunks/Catskill escarpment/Taconics/Litchfield hills in rotation every day to try and find the sweet spots (of which there are always at least a few) for photography. In places like Harriman and Bear Mountain, peak doesn't come until almost November in normal years, so areas south of me go on the backburner for at least another couple weeks.

1 minute ago, White Gorilla said:

Hello, back for some fun.  Waiting for the cooler temperatures, but also enjoying the warmth.  Bit disappointed in the colors so far. 

Maybe we'll start to get a pattern change heading into November.  As for the colors, I was holding out some hope but now I'm in the 'they suck this year' camp, which is a big disappointment.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Maybe we'll start to get a pattern change heading into November.  As for the colors, I was holding out some hope but now I'm in the 'they suck this year' camp, which is a big disappointment.

Yeah, it is a bummer.  When the cooler weather hit late August, I was very hopeful for a vibrant color season, but not to be.  The hot weather killed it. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

Yeah, it is a bummer.  When the cooler weather hit late August, I was very hopeful for a vibrant color season, but not to be.  The hot weather killed it. 

The dryness didn't help either.  A lot of trees turned brown and the leaves were as crunchy as could be.  

Certainly feels like October out there.  Big change from last weeks heat and humidity.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

The dryness didn't help either.  A lot of trees turned brown and the leaves were as crunchy as could be.  

Certainly feels like October out there.  Big change from last weeks heat and humidity.

Actually from what I've read over the years a dry spell leading up to the foliage can make it more vibrant.  IMO it was the heat and humidity that cooked the leaves this year. 

12 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Actually from what I've read over the years a dry spell leading up to the foliage can make it more vibrant.  IMO it was the heat and humidity that cooked the leaves this year. 

Oh I didn't know that.  I assumed the trees liked a little moisture, not flooding rains of course.

1 minute ago, JerseyWx said:

Oh I didn't know that.  I assumed the trees liked a little moisture, not flooding rains of course.

The best ingredients are warm days with cool nights but above freezing at night.  With all the humidity, besides it being very warm to begin with during the day, we couldn't get the cool nights.  We recently had low temps that were warmer than what the average high temperature should be, and not for one day but a number of them.  

• Like 1

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018