Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

15 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Roads are definitely a bit treacherous... at least the ones I've been on so far. About to see what the TSP has in store. 3.7" new at my house. Radar looks good for continued mood snows or better through the balance of the evening, so cheers to that!

Friends and family who came over for the game were commenting on how bad the roads were. 

1 hour ago, snywx said:

Nice event up here! General 4-5+ throughout the area. Another system moves in Monday night. 

btw.. main roads weren't bad, its those secondary roads that suck

I don't know if it's just freeways that count as the main roads, but the state-maintained thoroughfares on this side of the river were definitely in rough shape. Lots of cars in the ditch and stranded halfway up hills, etc. I guess it's to be expected when the first real storm of the season is an overperformer... crews get caught off-guard and people just forget how not to suck.

5.0" now... that would have been safely beyond my "best case scenario" figure if you asked me last night.

1 minute ago, Juliancolton said:

I don't know if it's just freeways that count as the main roads, but the state-maintained thoroughfares on this side of the river were definitely in rough shape. Lots of cars in the ditch and stranded halfway up hills, etc. I guess it's to be expected when the first real storm of the season is an overperformer... crews get caught off-guard and people just forget how not to suck.

5.0" now... that would have been safely beyond my "best case scenario" figure if you asked me last night.

I saw a few spin outs on 17. People def forget how to drive in the snow lol.. Approaching 5" here as well.

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

That's more like a statement on the general state of society lately :( 

Well this certainly turned into an overperformer here. I've been under this very persistent band for the last few hours and it just keeps coming down. In fact for the last hour it's been rather heavy and accumulating nicely but the flakes are really small. 28*, wind is N/NW @ 5mph  

• Like 1

Here's an interesting observation - Over the course of the day the soil temps have gone up 3-6 degrees according to the local mesonet stations. Since there's been a solid accumulation insulating the ground it's climbing about 1 degree every 3 hours. A couple of times over the last few years I've mentioned how I think ground temps affect the quality and durability of the early season snowpack and how important it is to be frozen to a significant depth before the pack starts to build. Now I can actually see it and confirm what I've been thinking for so long. Back to your regularly scheduled programming ;) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NepaJames8602 said:

Solid early season event here in the Poconos,  measured just shy of 7" at 8pm. My area was under that stationary banding on the nw side the past several hours. Binghamton was calling for 1 to 3". First positive bust in years.

Nice! I saw that band on radar parked for a few hours just to my west. Glad the interior cashed in on this event. 2 more events lined up for this week. 

3 hours ago, Animal said:

4.7 inches of snow.

core sample 0.3 liquid.

sorta ofa busr....

Nice. I have to check my liquid equivalent this morrning. Are you measuring the snow on a board now too?  Early season snow totals are notoriously inflated due to the grass still standing up and keeping the snow from actually starting on the ground if folks are measuring in the yard.  

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Nice. I have to check my liquid equivalent this morrning. Are you measuring the snow on a board now too?  Early season snow totals are notoriously inflated due to the grass still standing up and keeping the snow from actually starting on the ground if folks are measuring in the yard.  

What did you end up finishing with? Ratios had to be atleast 15:1 up here. 

I know we’re not suppose to harp on NWS, but I have to say, ever since I moved up here, (Albany) forecast area, I’ve notice they are continuously in the dark on their own forecasts... despite moderate totals for most their Southern area, not advisories or even updates for that matter on the storm, they pretended like It wasn’t happening lol... their probabilistic forecast for the area for Tuesday into wed is 0 snow, high end >1”.... is it just a case where they don’t care about their far southern viewing? I’m baffled 

1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I know we’re not suppose to harp on NWS, but I have to say, ever since I moved up here, (Albany) forecast are... I’ve notice they are continuously in the dark on their own forecasts... despite moderate totals for most their Southern area, not advisories or even updates for that matter on the storm, hey pretended like It wasn’t happening lol... their probabilistic forecast for the area for Tuesday into wed is 0 snow, high end >1”.... is it just a case where they don’t care about their far southern viewing? I’m baffled 

Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 11.16.41 AM.png

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018