Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I was at the animal hospital just down the road from there shortly after the second explosion occurred. Stat flight was landing there in the parking lot to take two of the injured firefighters to the burn center in Valhalla. It was a rapid response by multiple agency's.

my daughter's friend's parents know of the person who is missing. He was working in the area of the explosion in the building. 

The smoke was to my north so it was ok here. 

2 hours ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

I was at the animal hospital just down the road from there shortly after the second explosion occurred. Stat flight was landing there in the parking lot to take two of the injured firefighters to the burn center in Valhalla. It was a rapid response by multiple agency's.

my daughter's friend's parents know of the person who is missing. He was working in the area of the explosion in the building. 

Damn, that doesn’t sound good for the unaccounted for person.  The place had multiple OSHA violations. 

3 hours ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

my wife is good friends with a manager at that animal hospital, was texting back and forth today to see if they needed anything (wife works at a hospital down here). Not sure what the outcome was after the shelter in place but im sure it was a sh*t day all around up there.

2 hours ago, BxEngine said:

my wife is good friends with a manager at that animal hospital, was texting back and forth today to see if they needed anything (wife works at a hospital down here). Not sure what the outcome was after the shelter in place but im sure it was a sh*t day all around up there.

After the 2nd explosion is when the sh*t really hit the fan. Most of the workers were out and  vails gate and city of Newburgh firefighters  were doing an interior search and attack. At that time, everyone was there or were on the way, state firefighters from Stewart, DEC, etc. heard even homeland security, FBI was there.

I had a feeling this would have happened there sooner or later. Just passing the building you could smell the nail polish fumes in the air. A real sweatshop IMO.

edit. They found the body of the missing man inside the building. 

A couple of chilly mornings lately to remind us that it is pretty much winter but the afternoons have been really nice. Things are starting to dry out again though but this time it needs to freeze up rather than rain. Amazing how so many trees held on their leaves through the hard freezes even though those leaves are dead. LBSF touched on it in another thread and said that a lot of the leaf stems didn't weaken enough to fall off and that we may see significant tree damage because of it. It seems like they may have a hard time leafing out in the spring because the new leaves won't be able to use those branches to grow from but I haven't researched it so don't quite know if that's what the reason is it just sort of made sense to me. 

9 hours ago, gravitylover said:

A couple of chilly mornings lately to remind us that it is pretty much winter but the afternoons have been really nice. Things are starting to dry out again though but this time it needs to freeze up rather than rain. Amazing how so many trees held on their leaves through the hard freezes even though those leaves are dead. LBSF touched on it in another thread and said that a lot of the leaf stems didn't weaken enough to fall off and that we may see significant tree damage because of it. It seems like they may have a hard time leafing out in the spring because the new leaves won't be able to use those branches to grow from but I haven't researched it so don't quite know if that's what the reason is it just sort of made sense to me. 

There's been some speculation that marcescence may actually provide competitive benefits to the tree on a few different levels, including by insulating young growth against extreme cold in the winter and then deterring animals from eating new buds in the spring. Potential snow/ice stress is an issue in the early cold season, but since the tissue connecting the leaves gets progressively more brittle as time goes on, any remaining old leaves will simply get pushed off by the new ones as they unfurl. The bigger concern may be the long-term health of trees subjected to freezes occurring early or abrupt enough to disrupt their normal cycles.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, snywx said:

Lots of black ice out there this morning. Quite a few snow chances coming up in the next 2 weeks. 

Hope the cold won't suppress moisture.  If the mean trough axis is in the Midwest, I think we should be able to cash in on pieces of energy going around the base of the trough.  Question is magnitude of any event. 

Took a ride out this morning. Temp. Was 35 in new Windsor with 500' visibility. Along river road in Newburgh about 1/4 mile vis and temp at 37 along the river. Went up into the town of Newburgh along fostertown road, temp was 31 and back to the 500' visibility away from the river. Roads were fine no slick spots. 

35 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, that was some pretty amazing radiation fog for this time of year. The sun angle is so low that even nearly four hours after sunrise, mesoscale analysis still shows the inversion in place so spots could remain foggy for another hour I would think.

Over the Hudson is still dense, easily less than 1/4 mile in spots on the TZ.

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018