• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

Yeah it's really starting to look like it's got whopper potential. I think I may start cleaning up around the yard and bring in all of the loose things that could fly away. Hopefully some more leaves come down before the big blow otherwise branches and trees will be falling like raindrops.

Feels like fall out there today :) 

On October 22, 2017 at 10:44 AM, hudsonvalley21 said:

Took a ride out on 84 to Middletown yesterday and noticed the color pop too. I remember years past of having a nor'easter or strong front coming thru around Halloween and knocking down whatever leaves were left in the trees.  We're running a little late this year.

Looks like I spoke too early. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah it's really starting to look like it's got whopper potential. I think I may start cleaning up around the yard and bring in all of the loose things that could fly away. Hopefully some more leaves come down before the big blow otherwise branches and trees will be falling like raindrops.

Feels like fall out there today :)

Hiking in Harriman this evening was an all-out leaf blizzard which I was glad to see for reasons you mention. The colors suck down that way anyway so no big loss.

Had some awesome lighting conditions though for the second evening in a row.

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

Another comparison from my yard. 

49B92913-4698-4415-AA32-A48E3916B90E.jpeg

It seems like there's a demarcating line somewhere separating abysmal foliage south and decent foliage north. The sugar maples in my yard have been on fire this week, maybe the most vibrant since planting them about 15 years ago. I'll get a pic or two up soon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

It seems like there's a demarcating line somewhere separating abysmal foliage south and decent foliage north. The sugar maples in my yard have been on fire this week, maybe the most vibrant since planting them about 15 years ago. I'll get a pic or two up soon.

I look forward to the photo.  As you know, no two seasons are the same so taking photos on the same date will rarely reveal the same foliage results but it’s one way to compare. The take away for me is that my trees sadly never lit up this season. 

Don't have a generator :(  I do have a couple of trees I'm concerned about though, especially with what looks to be an extended period of SE then NW winds. Those are the two directions I think the bad trees will be the most likely to come down from. Thankfully they both lean away from my house :ph34r: We were going to deal with them this summer and a few days from when the tree guys were going to come the well pump crapped out so the $$ got redirected.

In other news from Mt Holly NWS.

Precipitation ends from south to north Monday morning.

There is a possibility that the first snowflakes of the season fall
Monday morning in the Poconos as thermal profiles aloft cooling to
below freezing. We currently do not anticipate any accumulations
with 1) the transition to snow occurring just as the wrap-around
precip shuts off and 2) a warm ground (surface temperatures only
falling into the upper 30s/lower 40s)

Calm winds here right now, surprising because I thought by now it was going to be 10-20MPH. Wind always seems to underperform in the valley in the big nor'easters, but if its from the east like the Euro graphics show and not the NAM's weak storm that will help.

Edit: Just saw the 12z and now the NAM agrees with the globals

13 minutes ago, HeinzGuy said:

I guess the biggest problem now may be with dry slotting in between the tropical moisture and the main storm if it ends up this far west. Sandy was a non-event here so would like a big wind event for a change.

I suspect we'll dryslot fairly early, but that could be our window for the strongest gusts barring any kind of sting jet feature in the morning. The HRRR has the precip shutting off around midnight and it did fairly well with the last system.

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018