• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

^^Re: Leaf peeping - Most of the trees that had any color have dropped most of their leaves. There are still plenty that are late summer/early fall faded green but it doesn't seem like those are going to change to anything worthwhile this year and then there are the ones that just turned brown and crunchy but didn't drop. What a blah leaf season.

Gonna bring in some wood to get a fire going in the fireplace tonight, not much oil left in the tank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Some of my tomato plants had started putting out new growth and blossoms over the past few weeks but last night put the kibosh on that. Funny how the killing freeze comes at climo time despite the torch month.

Yep, I said this in the other thread.  I'm right at climo for first frost.  Killing Freeze usually comes sometime in November.  

Wow what a difference a few miles can make. I've started to watch the local Meso sites more closely and the one a few miles SW of me is a full 10 degrees higher than the one a few miles NE of here. I can't imagine the distance is any more than 20 miles but the difference in temp and rainfall is sometimes pretty significant. Even in storms where we have what appears to be a pretty uniform precip coverage the difference will be .5" or more and especially in the mornings the temp will be 10* or more. 

On 10/16/2017 at 2:31 PM, gravitylover said:

^^Re: Leaf peeping - Most of the trees that had any color have dropped most of their leaves. There are still plenty that are late summer/early fall faded green but it doesn't seem like those are going to change to anything worthwhile this year and then there are the ones that just turned brown and crunchy but didn't drop. What a blah leaf season.

Gonna bring in some wood to get a fire going in the fireplace tonight, not much oil left in the tank.

Yea I lit her up last night, first fire of season and all the dust starts burning off, lol... smells awful

got down to 35 last night, kinda surprised, air felt colder than Monday night 

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Wow what a difference a few miles can make. I've started to watch the local Meso sites more closely and the one a few miles SW of me is a full 10 degrees higher than the one a few miles NE of here. I can't imagine the distance is any more than 20 miles but the difference in temp and rainfall is sometimes pretty significant. Even in storms where we have what appears to be a pretty uniform precip coverage the difference will be .5" or more and especially in the mornings the temp will be 10* or more. 

I find microclimates very interesting and many folks aren’t even aware of them. You hear people say that they heard on the news that 3” of rain fell for example but they really have no idea how much actually fell in their yard, temps are the same thing but most people don’t care about these nuances or small details in their minds. 

46 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Yea I lit her up last night, first fire of season and all the dust starts burning off, lol... smells awful

got down to 35 last night, kinda surprised, air felt colder than Monday night 

Ooh the amount of smoke that worked its way into the house for a little while until the chimney heated up was impressive :o Once it got going it was fine and then last night no problem at all. I guess the long wet spring loosened some crap that needed to burn off or drop out.

40 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I find microclimates very interesting and many folks aren’t even aware of them. You hear people say that they heard on the news that 3” of rain fell for example but they really have no idea how much actually fell in their yard, temps are the same thing but most people don’t care about these nuances or small details in their minds. 

I've been on that bandwagon for a long time but now have an official way to confirm it. When taken in conjunction with KDXR which is a similar distance east and another that's a bit south of that it really starts to give me a better picture of what's going on. When I add in some of the home stations on WU and similar it's pretty amazing the differences in a small area.

Beautiful day out there now, quickly approaching 60* already.

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

That's true.  Even small towns have ridge/valley sections along with mountains, which can really effect the temps.

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

This. People have a very static view of the weather... nothing ever changes over time or distance. Folks in like Kingston watching the weather report for NYC and thinking it applies to them down to the degree or inch of snow.

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018