• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

What a beautiful day it was as you went north and uphill. When I left home this morning around 10 it was still grey and humid but by the time I crested the Taconics it was dry, sunny and breezy. It was gorgeous all the way up the Parkway, across the river and up into the high peaks area of the Catskills and then it actually got hot by the time I got back down into Kingston in the late afternoon. Not looking forward to a couple more dreary days ahead :( 

6 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

What an unexpectedly beautiful morning. Wouldn't it be something if the day turned out to be nice all day...

It should be mostly, if not all dry, around here with slowly lowering dews which is good news. Rain would impede todays outdoor festivities such as horseshoes, can jam, and a camp fire, not to mention could water down ones drink. 

• Like 1

I've had that happen and yeah it's disconcerting to say the least. About 15 years ago I was riding up a long hill, it was one of those hot and sweaty late afternoons in the high 90's and super humid, I got to the top and stopped to take a break and it was dead silent with no wind at all. A minute later a big black bear walked out and onto the trail about 15 feet in front of me and I nearly pooped in my pants. I must have gasped a little and it turned and stared right at me so I lifted my bike over my head and it did that puppy thing where they tilt their heads and look at you all cutesy like. Right then a little breath of wind came up the hill behind me and my sweaty scent made its way to the bear, it wrinkled its nose and grunted then turned and trotted off. Stinky mt biker 1, bear 0. 

• Like 1

A few years back I was hiking on the Lincoln Woods Trail in the White Mountains.  After walking up the Franconia Falls Trail a bit we started walking back and when we got to the junction of the Lincoln Woods Trail again there's a bridge that shoots across the brook there but we were going in the other direction.  Something made me turn around and right on the other side of the bridge was a large black bear standing on its hind legs checking us out.  It wasn't as close as you guys were but it certainly still gets your attention.  After a moment it ran off, it happened so quick that I couldn't even get a photo of it.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

The HRRR goes gangbusters with downpours later tonight between about 2 and 7 am, lollis to 2". I have about .4" in the gauge so far. The more the merrier if we must go into Death Valley mode for a week+.

Looks like that might verify. There’s  some training areas of thunderstorms out in Pa. heading in our direction that will be here in a few hours. 

7 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

That Euro run was insane. 95/77F on Monday afternoon, dews touching 80F in time for fireworks on Wednesday, and no highs below 90F or lows <75F from day 3 right through next weekend. There's a ton of room in those numbers to take 'em down before they get anything close to comfortable. Brace for impact?

I'm braced.  How high with the heat index go will be the game now.  

7 hours ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Can you convert your snow measuring table to a heat index table. :arrowhead:   For today only picked up 0.62 in the bucket since midnight. Just missed out on the heavier downpours. 

That’s a conversion that I have no interest in!

8 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

I don't mind if we STFU on that particular metric :)

Violently agree!!

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018