Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

1 hour ago, snywx said:

EF0 confirmed in Newburgh.. 85mph winds for 674 yards

Such a specific number.

Albany confirmed an EF1 from near Saugerties to just over the east bank of the river near Clermont SP. That's the cell I tried to stay on from shortly after rotation started showing up on radar. I had a good vantage point toward the NW from Burger Hill around the estimated time the tornado was on the ground... it certainly was not the high-base, low-precip meso you'd see in eastern CO or southern AB. The storm must have just got done cycling by the time I got into the hail core.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, White Gorilla said:

Truly a historic outbreak for these parts yesterday.  Thank goodness more people didn't get injured or killed.  I am pained by those who did.  Damn it, I hope we don't have any more of these monsters the rest of the year. 

Yeah, like @gravitylover said in another thread, no thanks, I’ll take a huge snowstorm over what happened Tuesday. I was actually fortunate but it’s still a huge pain in the arse. I’m good with severe weather for the next decade, at least, unless those who don’t have to deal with the aftermath and destruction want to take it on the chin each time then I’ll be fine watching from afar. 

• Like 1

What added to my stress on Tuesday was my son driving home from school across PA ahead of that line. It caught him around Wilkes Barre but he had the brains to get off the highway and into a Holday Inn parking and sit in the lobby for the worst of it. So that was a nice greeting when he got home “Hey, the driveway is blocked, there’s a tree trough the window and damaged the roof. There’s no power or water and we have a mess to clean up, welcome home.” LOL

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yeah, like @gravitylover said in another thread, no thanks, I’ll take a huge snowstorm over what happened Tuesday. I was actually fortunate but it’s still a huge pain in the arse. I’m good with severe weather for the next decade, at least, unless those who don’t have to deal with the aftermath and destruction want to take it on the chin each time then I’ll be fine watching from afar. 

You need anything? 

13 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

You need anything? 

Just now, IrishRob17 said:

Seriously, thanks for asking big guy.  I was very fortunate, it could've been much worse.  Personally I lost maybe $100 of stuff, mostly just a table lamp I had in front of that window. The house repair itself isn't my responsibility since I live in the park, which is good and bad.  I don't have to worry about the cost/insurance claim but I also cant just call up a contractor myself to get things done.  I was told an electrician would be out to look at and fix my electrical service line yesterday at lunch, then told this morning, still nothing.  Central Hudson has the lines juiced back up in my hood, incredibly, but since my lines were ripped off of the house the electrician needs to do the repair first and then Central Hudson will hook me back up.  I'm told a roofer will be out on Monday to take a look and hopefully get going sometime later next week.  My brother got a tarp on the roof for me yesterday to keep the rain out.  Most of the damage was just to the soffits but there was one spot were the top of the wall was exposed, and there were two small holes punched through the main roof.  I got water back last night, so no trip to the stream tonight to get water for flushing, that's a win, LOL 

• Like 1

Just now, snywx said:

Is everyone back up and running? The extent of tree damage was pretty remarkable!

Back since about 5:30pm yesterday for me, only out approx 49 hours this go around.  I'm feeling very fortunate this morning.  One of the linemen working on my house yesterday showed me photos of a house in Sullivan that was in the hail storm...all of the vinyl siding was destroyed and most of the windows in the house were smashed, cars all dented with smashed windows.  Just incredible for the northeast.  

• Like 1

Just now, IrishRob17 said:

Back since about 5:30pm yesterday for me, only out approx 49 hours this go around.  I'm feeling very fortunate this morning.  One of the linemen working on my house yesterday showed me photos of a house in Sullivan that was in the hail storm...all of the vinyl siding was destroyed and most of the windows in the house were smashed, cars all dented with smashed windows.  Just incredible for the northeast.  

About 24 hrs out here but man sounds like Sullivan took it on the chin.. Did BGM survey the Eldred area? Many initial reports was for a tornado in that area.

2 minutes ago, snywx said:

Hows the repairs coming along? If you need anything just say the word!

Thanks.  I'm in good shape though, like I said, feeling very fortunate after looking at what others are dealing with.  Roofer takes a look on Monday, the tarp should keep us dry this weekend.  My son who came home from college got a lot of the yard clean up done. 

04697AFB-F71A-4E82-A8EC-BDD2B545BCFE.jpeg

On May 18, 2018 at 12:00 PM, IrishRob17 said:

Glad to hear that you're back up and running. Again as others have offered, if you need anything, we're here.  It was a rareatiy where all the indicators were showing an active day was on tap and it came to a destructive reality. With some events, you could never be fully prepared. There are a bunch of people that are feeling very fortunate along with you. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Glad to hear that you're back up and running. Again as others have offered, if you need anything, we're here.  It was a rareatiy where all the indicators were showing an active day was on tap and it came to a destructive reality. With some events, you could never be fully prepared. There are a bunch of people that are feeling very fortunate along with you. 

Thanks buddy.  This event isn’t about me though, I was lucky but everyone’s well wishes and offers of help are much appreciated. I had a bad feeling on Tuesday, hope to not get that feeling again not to mention the feeling when I came home and knew there was damage but not sure how bad. Here’s a screenshot when I knew it wasn’t going to be good.   It was also nice meeting one of our fellow posters coincidently yesterday who shall remain nameless in case he wants to remain incognito. 

E674C2CA-E73E-49BE-B3DE-33568840DB5A.png

16 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Thanks buddy.  This event isn’t about me though, I was lucky but everyone’s well wishes and offers of help are much appreciated. I had a bad feeling on Tuesday, hope to not get that feeling again not to mention the feeling when I came home and knew there was damage but not sure how bad. Here’s a screenshot when I knew it wasn’t going to be good.   It was also nice meeting one of our fellow posters coincidently yesterday who shall remain nameless in case he wants to remain incognito. 

I believe thats the cell that became tornadic once it crossed the thruway. Prob the same one that spawned another 2 in Putnam/Dutchess

Looking to start staining my deck tonight / now this weather has really backed us up,,,,,you think I can get out there now with my son and start or do we still have a shot at rain tonight in New City Ny , Im looking at the radar and I think Im ok to hit it a few hours, appears to me no rain in my near future ,,,any info appreciated

On 5/19/2018 at 8:20 PM, IrishRob17 said:

Good to meet you Rob! It was one hell of a storm. My area in Beaver Dam Lake was mostly unscathed. A few trees down here and there but Fishkill area and Balmville/Town of Newburgh was another story. I was told the picture below was taken in Maybrook. Glad you were ok with the tree that fell in your yard. 

46BE2585-9F32-4481-B60C-C6457737861C.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tpalm5 said:

Good to meet you Rob! It was one hell of a storm. My area in Beaver Dam Lake was mostly unscathed. A few trees down here and there but Fishkill area and Balmville/Town of Newburgh was another story. I was told the picture below was taken in Maybrook. Glad you were ok with the tree that fell in your yard. 

What was  amazing in the photo is the green clouds indicating the cloud heights in the cell. My wife was on fostertown road in The town of Newburgh and I was in the southern section of New Windsor, she called me saying it was going Green there at the same time it was green at my location and just to the south of me. That's a wide cell. On the radar screen shot that Rob posted, showed a descrete cell that hit me in new Windsor first that had a strong southerly surface wind then the stronger cell hit with a westerly microburst type wind. In the descrete cell I was able to see some rotation before the rain blocked the view.

10 hours ago, Tpalm5 said:

Wow.  My brother knows where those buildings in Maybrook, so it appears to be from there but what exactly are we seeing is the question.  So many stories from Tuesday, lore for years to come around here. Central Hudson did a tremendous job  getting things repaired, even the leaning pole by me was uprighted yesterday morning. My yard is now cleaned up as well, wood stacked for the fire pit. Just need the roof repaired but we are watertight for now. Hopefully the roofer makes it here today and it shouldn’t take  long to repair, a day or so I’d say. One last time, thanks again for the offers of help and I know you guys weren’t bs’ing me, much appreciated. We have a decent little group here. Now back to bashing @BxEngine

• Like 1

On 5/22/2018 at 4:15 PM, hudsonvalley21 said:

In the town of Newburgh, they re-opened Albany Post Road today.  All it can say is WOW to the tree damage in that area. I won't post pictures due to respect of the loss of life on the Monunts Desmond campus and the people that live there. 

My brother was over that way on Saturday and said the same thing, he was amazed at the damage. 

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018