Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

6 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Doesn't surprise me. I saw a few flakes early this morning too, certainly not enough to even be visible on the ground but they did fall from the sky. I really should keep records because it seems that snow has fallen more than half the days this month.

Got a report from her again of hail & lots of it. Corrected her that it is grauple

• Like 1

Better than a coating, more like .3", and on pretty much everything. Julian I've actually been thinking that, even mentioned a few times how many days of frozen precip we've had this month. It didn't really phase me when I lived in VT or CO but I sure don't expect it here. The new climate regime is interesting to watch that's for sure.

• Like 1

0.4 inches last night. Still on the cars, trees,grass and bushes.

Snow in mid April doesn't surprise me I've seen it numerous times around here, but the number of days with frozen precip this April as many have said, that's the unusual part of all of this.

Anyway, now 0.5 inches short of seven feet. The way things are going I can't rule it out.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Sort of a Tip-esque thing to ponder, but it really is remarkable that 1/3 of a year after the sun angle started rebounding, we're still in the grasp of the cold season... meridional flow, thicknesses in the 520s, near daily frozen precip. 

Totally agree that from a meteorological view point, this is all very impressive.  And while snow is what got me into the weather as a youngster I learned to enjoy all types of weather and as a result I'm personally done with cold and snow at this point.  And I don't care how much this years snow totals are now getting further padded (although I haven't had anything measurable since the beginning of the month) this winter will not go down as a great one for me since we had spring in what should've been the heart of winter.  End of rant (for now anyway).    

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Totally agree that from a meteorological view point, this is all very impressive.  And while snow is what got me into the weather as a youngster I learned to enjoy all types of weather and as a result I'm personally done with cold and snow at this point.  And I don't care how much this years snow totals are now getting further padded (although I haven't had anything measurable since the beginning of the month) this winter will not go down as a great one for me since we had spring in what should've been the heart of winter.  End of rant (for now anyway).    

Rob my feelings exactly,,,,,I caught a little heat from someone when I posted my winter grade but its exactly how I felt and feel. Its remarkable what is going on but ,,,,,,,

• Like 1

No accumulations yet this month? I've had one significant and three that don't really count but they happened, as well as a half dozen or more days with no accumulation but it snowed. I'm definitely over it ;)  

I was traveling around central CT yesterday and pretty much anything above about 400 feet had snow on the ground from the day before. While we got almost entirely rain here they started the day with 3-5" of snow before changing to rain. Even the places that got an inch or more of rain still had snow in shaded areas and big plow piles in lots and along main roads. That must have been some dense stuff to last through that torrential rain later in the day. Above ~800 feet there was still significant snowcover in the woods on all but the most exposed southerly faces where it was melting off in the afternoon sun and tropical type rainshowers that were ongoing.

42 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

No accumulations yet this month? I've had one significant and three that don't really count but they happened, as well as a half dozen or more days with no accumulation but it snowed. I'm definitely over it ;)  

I was traveling around central CT yesterday and pretty much anything above about 400 feet had snow on the ground from the day before. While we got almost entirely rain here they started the day with 3-5" of snow before changing to rain. Even the places that got an inch or more of rain still had snow in shaded areas and big plow piles in lots and along main roads. That must have been some dense stuff to last through that torrential rain later in the day. Above ~800 feet there was still significant snowcover in the woods on all but the most exposed southerly faces where it was melting off in the afternoon sun and tropical type rainshowers that were ongoing.

I meant that I have not had anything measurable since that storm at the beginning of the month when I got 4.7".

• Like 1

Hi-res NAM and Canadian are close to accumulating snows even here in the valley early tomorrow. Probably too warm for anything except wet flakes, but I may take a quick drive up to either the Catskills or the Taconics in the morning to see the last real snow of the season. I'll see what webcams around the area look like when I wake up.

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Hi-res NAM and Canadian are close to accumulating snows even here in the valley early tomorrow. Probably too warm for anything except wet flakes, but I may take a quick drive up to either the Catskills or the Taconics in the morning to see the last real snow of the season. I'll see what webcams around the area look like when I wake up.

I was thinking the same thing but also have the far western Berks on my radar because the altitude is that much better. Lets go throw snowballs at each other ;) 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Around 4:30 I looked over and said to my wife look at that it looks convective and the temp was dropping. A few minutes later there were a few claps of thunder and it started pounding down ice pellets. Now it's a mix of sleet and snow with pellets mixed in. What a wonderful spring afternoon :blink:

Yep, another day of frozen precipitation here too but I didn’t get the thunder. After the ice pellets shower there was a legit snow shower

6 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Snow mentioned for tonight in my P&C. Heavy heavy prozac. 

I saw flakes a few times between here and Poughkeepsie tonight and right around sunset it sure looked like the Catskills High Peaks area was getting it good when I came over the Taconic Crest on 84. I know it was coming down hard up in the Daks and central/northern Greens this afternoon.

• Like 1

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018