• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

I made a quick run up to Glens Falls today and it's really amazing just how much snow is still on the ground in most places east of the river. There's a distinct snow hole from I84 to a little south of Tagkhanic but generally anything over 5-600 feet is still reasonably well covered other than southern exposures. As far south as Fahnestock there's still a foot or so and the upper ~30 miles of the Taconic Parkway it's still deep winter especially over 800 feet. I heard that now that the Fahnestock XC ski winter park is done for the season they're not grooming anymore so the groomed trails are open for me to go ride the fat bike on so I'm hoping it doesn't rain much tonight and it does cool down so I can go do a dawn patrol over there tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Started hearing the peepers this week 

I remember us talking about this last Spring.  The last couple of years it took until April for them to start singing here.  I feel like the Katydids have been coming around later in the Summer as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

I remember us talking about this last Spring.  The last couple of years it took until April for them to start singing here.  I feel like the Katydids have been coming around later in the Summer as well.

They were loud last night, I hear them through the closed windows, I'm sure a lack of vegetation helped with the sound traveling.  Between the river, pond, and wetlands, there's no shortage of them around my yard.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

They were loud last night, I hear them through the closed windows, I'm sure a lack of vegetation helped with the sound traveling.  Between the river, pond, and wetlands, there's no shortage of them around my yard.

I love that sound at night, especially when you can sleep with the windows cracked.

• Like 1

@West Mtn NY, saw yourpic of the yard in the other thread, impressive. I lost the last little patch of snow in my yard yesterday, full spring clean up mode here. A saw there there were a few brush fires this week, including a few along the PIP, or in the park, today. Next weeks weather will literally put a damper on that for a while. 

Well, considering I was expecting white rain and weenie wishing for 3-4" the 6.7" that I got is pretty awesome. I measured in a dozen spots around the yard, some on the ground and some on hard surfaces and a few on elevated surfaces, and it ranged between 6 on the nose and 7.2 in a sheltered northern exposure spot. I shoveled most of the driveway into one pile in the shade, hopefully it lasts all week :) 

Another one next weekend maybe? This isht is killing my business but I'm enjoying it nonetheless. 

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018