Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

32 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Still nothing other than a random flake here and there, not even enough to call it flurries. It looks like a little batch may make its way in here in a little while though but it doesn't look to be big enough to do more than coat the grass.

I've had about 6 rouge flakes so far today here. I think they were from the snowguns by irishrob17. :arrowhead: 

Dewpoint holding at 18 all day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

They still have to hit the state minimum of 180 days or whatever the number is. I heard a teacher talking about it in the supermarket the other day and she was saying that their contract requires them to hit that number of days so they have to work whether they like it or not. She was saying that both her and her husband are going to have to turn down their summer jobs at a sleepaway camp because they will be missing the first week. 

They should just take away spring break, that's five days right there.

Just now, JerseyWx said:

They should just take away spring break, that's five days right there.

There was no spring break scheduled this year. They were going to have 4/2 and the long weekend on Memorial Day instead so off from Friday to Tuesday but those were already taken back. This district also gives them for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur in the fall so that was 3 days. They got 2 or 3 days this winter where it didn't snow at all so they kind of screwed themselves like they did today. 

2 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

There was no spring break scheduled this year. They were going to have 4/2 and the long weekend on Memorial Day instead so off from Friday to Tuesday but those were already taken back. This district also gives them for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur in the fall so that was 3 days. They got 2 or 3 days this winter where it didn't snow at all so they kind of screwed themselves like they did today. 

Oh that's interesting.  Shame they have to stay in so long.

20 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I’m a fan of proper measurement techniques and reporting. B)

Lol

17 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

It has been a solid snow season here and I really can't complain overall, but I hate missing out on the fun.  Not a flake so far and despite the NWS forecast of 3-5 here, I am not expecting much at all.  Dry air, virga, sucks.  Reminds me of January 2016.  

I know the feeling.  Decent rates here despite the flakes being minuscule.  This storm should get me over 60" for the season which is pretty impressive.  I'm ready to torch in April.

• Like 1

Hey @Juliancolton. Would you say we live in a bad radar area? Ive noticed even with 0.5 tilt both BGM, ALB & Upton pick up a ton of virga for the HV. Is it cause we are so far from the radar sites that the beam ends up higher than it should? Ive literally been under 30+dbz all day long and had a 5 min snow shower about an hour ago that was it. 

26 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

It has been a solid snow season here and I really can't complain overall, but I hate missing out on the fun.  Not a flake so far and despite the NWS forecast of 3-5 here, I am not expecting much at all.  Dry air, virga, sucks.  Reminds me of January 2016.  

NWS took down the Winter Storm Warnings for Orange County and put up a Winter weather advisory for 3-5" for tonight. Dew points never got over 18 at KSWF, while HHPN's dew point hit 29. Dry air won this time up here. We'll see if we get the 3-5. Snowhole city so far.

45 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Oh and about that radar hole... I'm directly under the center of that NW facing cone coming off Uptons radar. Sometimes it's frustrating when I'm trying to zoom in really tight. But yeah, distance from the radar over ~50 NM will give you a really poor representation of what's happening. 

Hey G.  Tough one to watch on radar today, and like you said, couldnt even comiserate this afternoon with the server down.

I have never seen such returns overhead with no snow! It is amazing to me that so much moisture can evap. like that.

I am sitting watching it come down decent now, and monitoring the "snow stick cam" on the back porch which I just set up today in my pre-storm excitement.  also have a Mahopac cam I can see my work driveway to tell how much is over there.  My wife hates the winter.  We're married 18 years, and she still thinks I am out of my freakin mind for liking this stuff.

Only about 3/4 inch here at this point.  Looking at the radar I keep getting hopes up, only to be let down. I feel like I'm in an abusive relationship with the radar.

At least I'll get to use the quad one more time tomorrow before work.  I may even truck it in to the animal hospital and plow there just for fun in the am(and save $90)

1521678211953.JPG

2 hours ago, snywx said:

Hey @Juliancolton. Would you say we live in a bad radar area? Ive noticed even with 0.5 tilt both BGM, ALB & Upton pick up a ton of virga for the HV. Is it cause we are so far from the radar sites that the beam ends up higher than it should? Ive literally been under 30+dbz all day long and had a 5 min snow shower about an hour ago that was it. 

Yeah, we're definitely in an annoying radar hole. We're about 90 miles from all three radar sites so the resolution is pretty coarse, and even at the lowest tilt, the top of the beam is still around 15k feet at that range. It also doesn't help that the dry layer was relatively shallow and close to the ground.

Finally started snowing here, and like usual with these virga setups, it hit like a wall. Snow growth is awful, but it's still probably about 1"/hr intensity currently.

MxV88vd.png

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018