Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

24 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Where were you when the great Snow Measuring Civil War broke out?

I understand confusion for those of us that have been around a while since the NWS switched back and forth on the 6 hour board swipe bit if you read the official NWS guidelines I don’t understand why so many don’t understand the rules. Disclaimer: In my work I need to read a lot of government guidance and documents so perhaps that gives me an advantage. 

13 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I understand confusion for those of us that have been around a while since the NWS switched back and forth on the 6 hour board swipe bit if you read the official NWS guidelines I don’t understand why so many don’t understand the rules. Disclaimer: In my work I need to read a lot of government guidance and documents so perhaps that gives me an advantage. 

Yeah, there was definitely some miscommunication for a while, but at this point it seems rather cut-and-dry... "YOUR SERVICING NWS OFFICE WILL LET YOU KNOW IF YOU ARE REQUIRED TO TAKE 6-HOURLY MEASUREMENTS.   OTHERWISE ONLY TAKE 24-HOUR MEASUREMENTS." Of course, most of us only measure for personal records (or at most the poorly scrutinized spotter reports list), so do whatever makes you happy/keeps things consistent with the way you've done it in the past. 

I read someone in the NE thread say they prefer the 6-hr method because it makes the storm "look more impressive" or something. Well, yeah... no kidding, lol.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

AWT. As a result all SNE snowfall totals...we toss

I kid, I kid

It reminds me of the coastline paradox. If total snowfall is supposed to increase the more frequently you measure, then the true amount of snow that falls from the sky should be infinite, assuming you had a way of measuring infinitely often.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Nice stationary area of light snow up the Hudson Valley atm as the stiff westerly flow gets blocked up against the Taconics/Berks, with instability aloft from the intense cold pool. The HRRR says it continues for most of the night.

IYCceuZ.gif

Little bits of it keep bleeding down here.  Keep it coming :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Nice stationary area of light snow up the Hudson Valley atm as the stiff westerly flow gets blocked up against the Taconics/Berks, with instability aloft from the intense cold pool. The HRRR says it continues for most of the night.

IYCceuZ.gif

Looks like the ride up the Taconic or Rt 22 would have been challenging. I wonder how much the top of Petersburg Pass got, they tend to do very well in that setup.

12 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Another beauty today @ 1k ft in Patterson 

KIMG1326.jpg

Hey G.  I grew up in Patterson.  Is that behind Thunder Ridge? 

This week should be fun coming up.  Keeping the plow on the quad, and keeping the generator on stand by again.  

Had at least 36 inches over the past 3 storms at my place in Carmel up Near Ninham mountain.  Much less at my business in Mahopac

Still have about 12-14 inches in my yard,  Nellie (frenchie) is not too thrilled about the prospect of adding more to the pack....

IMG_0686.JPG.3b47293c1f8118393493d53f15af213e.JPG

20 minutes ago, DRVTS said:

Hey G.  I grew up in Patterson.  Is that behind Thunder Ridge? 

This week should be fun coming up.  Keeping the plow on the quad, and keeping the generator on stand by again.  

Had at least 36 inches over the past 3 storms at my place in Carmel up Near Ninham mountain.  Much less at my business in Mahopac

Still have about 12-14 inches in my yard,  Nellie (frenchie) is not too thrilled about the prospect of adding more to the pack....

IMG_0686.JPG.3b47293c1f8118393493d53f15af213e.JPG

Yup Cranberry Mt MUA/Wildlife Mgmt Area. That and the county land across the street are one of my favorite spots in the area and I try to spend as much time there as I can. Where are you by Nimham? I need to get up in there again soon, it's been too long. I live in Mahopac and we've gotten the same 36" but due to the new/old measuring methods it's technically only 27-28" at the top of my hill. It's not lasting the same way here as some other spots around the area though because of my ESE exposure, my front yard is burned off but the back is still 6-14" deep. What business is yours, I"ll stop in and say hey ;) 

2 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Yup Cranberry Mt MUA/Wildlife Mgmt Area. That and the county land across the street are one of my favorite spots in the area and I try to spend as much time there as I can. Where are you by Nimham? I need to get up in there again soon, it's been too long. I live in Mahopac and we've gotten the same 36" but due to the new/old measuring methods it's technically only 27-28" at the top of my hill. It's not lasting the same way here as some other spots around the area though because of my ESE exposure, my front yard is burned off but the back is still 6-14" deep. What business is yours, I"ll stop in and say hey ;) 

Mahopac Animal Hospital by Wallaur's.  I live on Gipsy Trail road 1/3 mile south of farmers mills. 

• Like 1

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018