Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

1 minute ago, gravitylover said:

It's cold and sort of snowing. I say sort of because it's really loud so it's more pellets than flakes. 24/NE/-SN. Too bad it's going to change :( 

I didn't feel a quake but my dogs sure did. They were up and grumbling and dancing around the house for a few minutes.

That's interesting after seeing so many reports of snow to your south.  All snow here, falling at a moderate clip, with the occasional large flakes mixed in.

45 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

USGS has it M2.2 at 6.2km deep. Basically no chance of feeling that up here, but still cool to see. Maybe foreshock of something more substantial?

It was just a few miles from my house, I was actually there last night around 8pm.

Snowfall intensity has been varying widely the last 30 minutes or so. The wind has definitely taken more of an ESE component to it but the temp is still stable at ~22*. Approaching 2" otg now. Gonna go out and shovel just to create a pile that might last through the changeover :) 

I would like to thank everyone on this thread for referencing the place of the accident  this morning as the TZ Bridge, which is what it will always be called by 90% of the people in this area despite the stupid politicians forcing a name change down our throats, as if they paid for the bridge out of their own personal accounts.

With that said I hope I'm on the banter thread because I realize that had nothing to do with weather.

24.4 with sleet now. There I covered myself.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I would like to thank everyone on this thread for referencing the place of the accident  this morning as the TZ Bridge, which is what it will always be called by 90% of the people in this area despite the stupid politicians forcing a name change down our throats, as if they paid for the bridge out of their own personal accounts.

With that said I hope I'm on the banter thread because I realize that had nothing to do with weather.

24.4 with sleet now. There I covered myself.

I still call it the TZ out of habit and because people lose their ever-loving minds if you don't, but I think a lot of us get too worked up over the silly name change. Almost nobody calls local river crossings by their official names... if someone told you they were debating whether it's quickest to use the Hamilton Fish Bridge, the FDR Bridge, or the George Clinton Memorial Bridge to get to the Thruway, you'd look at them like they were a lunatic. That said, sometimes the new names catch on relatively quickly after construction of a new span, like how the Cooper River Bridge in Charleston, SC became almost universally referred to as the Arthur Ravenel Bridge in under a decade. We may well be jumping across the ol' Cuomo before the 2020s are through. ;)

Woohoo rain at 25* 

I couldn't decide what was better, to leave the snow on the driveway and let the rain turn the top into a sheet then scrape it off when it was all over or scrape it down first so it would be black underneath so the sun could do it's job tomorrow. I decided to scrape and make a pile that would survive the rain and freeze into a long lasting block of white ice. Hopefully I don't crash and burn if I go out tonight or tomorrow morning. 

50 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I still call it the TZ out of habit and because people lose their ever-loving minds if you don't, but I think a lot of us get too worked up over the silly name change. Almost nobody calls local river crossings by their official names... if someone told you they were debating whether it's quickest to use the Hamilton Fish Bridge, the FDR Bridge, or the George Clinton Memorial Bridge to get to the Thruway, you'd look at them like they were a lunatic. That said, sometimes the new names catch on relatively quickly after construction of a new span, like how the Cooper River Bridge in Charleston, SC became almost universally referred to as the Arthur Ravenel Bridge in under a decade. We may well be jumping across the ol' Cuomo before the 2020s are through. ;)

I don't know anyone who takes the Horace Harding Expressway into NYC.

And the TZ will always be the TZ.

• Like 2

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018