Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

1 hour ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Julian,,,,is that 3 days away or 10 ? Where can you view the GGEM or can someone post it ?

My post was just for fun. That model is known for its overzealous depictions of East Coast storms. Was just funny to see it show two or three snowstorms in one run after everyone punted the next 3-4 weeks.

Anyway, I recommend this site for viewing most models: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/. It's the fastest-updating and easiest to navigate.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, snywx said:

Better idea of where the higher totals were concentrated. Looks like Sullivan/Ulster counties jackpotted this event.

Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 3.23.12 AM.png

I wish I still had proper backcountry ski gear, that map makes it look like Petersburg Pass did well from this storm also and they were looking really good before the storm.

23 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

My post was just for fun. That model is known for its overzealous depictions of East Coast storms. Was just funny to see it show two or three snowstorms in one run after everyone punted the next 3-4 weeks.

Anyway, I recommend this site for viewing most models: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/. It's the fastest-updating and easiest to navigate.

Thanks Julian,,Im as gullible as the next idiot  lol,,,someone else posted that link a while ago and I bookmarked it ,just so I know the GGEM is NOT on tidbits correct ? When someone posts any Model that I am not familiar with I go to that bookmark to try and see what they are looking at

18 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Thanks Julian,,Im as gullible as the next idiot  lol,,,someone else posted that link a while ago and I bookmarked it ,just so I know the GGEM is NOT on tidbits correct ? When someone posts any Model that I am not familiar with I go to that bookmark to try and see what they are looking at

It is, but it's called the "CMC" under the globals tab. I just like to refer to it as the GGEM or GDPS to differentiate it from the other models produced by the Canadian Meteorological Center. Otherwise it's a bit like telling someone to look at the NCEP or the "American model" and expecting them to know which one you're talking about.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

It is, but it's called the "CMC" under the globals tab. I just like to refer to it as the GGEM or GDPS to differentiate it from the other models produced by the Canadian Meteorological Center. Otherwise it's a bit like telling someone to look at the NCEP or the "American model" and expecting them to know which one you're talking about.

learn something new everyday ,,,I knew the CMC was the Canadian but was clueless that it was also GGEM,maybe someone else didn't know either,,,,thanks Julian

24 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

learn something new everyday ,,,I knew the CMC was the Canadian but was clueless that it was also GGEM,maybe someone else didn't know either,,,,thanks Julian

You know its the canadian model by the way it apologizes to you for not providing snow, with a big plate of poutine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

I was telling some of my other weather friends that my New Year's resolution was to only call models by their actual names and not by their parent agencies or places of origin (like the "Euro" is officially the Integrated Forecast System, the UKMET is the Unified Model, the JMA is the Global Spectral Model, the Australian is the ACCESS, etc). It lasted about six hours before I realized how pretentious the whole idea was.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

I was telling some of my other weather friends that my New Year's resolution was to only call models by their actual names and not by their parent agencies or places of origin (like the "Euro" is officially the Integrated Forecast System, the UKMET is the Unified Model, the JMA is the Global Spectral Model, the Australian is the ACCESS, etc). It lasted about six hours before I realized how pretentious the whole idea was.

But if you can work that pretentiousness in this forum, with a big side order of being wrong constantly, youll fit right in!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Send it this way, still under a shower here!  Of course my driveway will be a mess for a couple months at least still but lets freeze it back up for a while, shall we?

Yup, the mud sucks in the mid-winter thaw. Let's freeze it back up.  Total of 0.67  in the bucket for the day.

• Like 1

I really like where we stand here in the interior with respect to the first half of February pattern.  It looks like a gradient pattern setting up and we seem to be just enough on the cold side to be snowy with the battle zone just to our south.  This is a type of pattern where we snow and the coast taints. We may taint as well, but I think we will be mostly white.  I think the coast will get snowier towards mid to late February, but we will continue to have several chances. This upcoming pattern is going to be very interesting for sure starting late next week.  Again, I like where we sit here just inland. 

3 hours ago, White Gorilla said:

I really like where we stand here in the interior with respect to the first half of February pattern.  It looks like a gradient pattern setting up and we seem to be just enough on the cold side to be snowy with the battle zone just to our south.  This is a type of pattern where we snow and the coast taints. We may taint as well, but I think we will be mostly white.  I think the coast will get snowier towards mid to late February, but we will continue to have several chances. This upcoming pattern is going to be very interesting for sure starting late next week.  Again, I like where we sit here just inland. 

February is usually when I get "excited" about our snow chances.  As CP mentioned in the other thread, this region has a high concentration of snowfalls that occur during the Feb. timeframe.  However, it's also a short month, and by March we all know that Spring is just around the corner.

This weeked looks quite "torchy" with highs for many of us potentially reaching 50° or greater.

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018