Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

7 hours ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

question, i should probably know this, and im too lazy to research, i know the idea behind melting my snow for LE...but how much actual snow do i use? i mean if i have 6" and wide of a patch do i take to melt and measure?

I recommend to any weather fan to invest in this, that’s how I do it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X3KTHS/ref=asc_df_B000X3KTHS5339733/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B000X3KTHS&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193980915053&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7571898762174100708&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004273&hvtargid=pla-311186967083

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

2.3 inches, pretty underwhelming. Eastern orange county in the screw zone so far.

The whole storm was one giant screw zone. It looks wonderful outside but from a purely :weenie: perspective, I've only added a few tenths after about 4 am. I think the inverted trough that was universally modeled for around daybreak never really got going, so the storm was basically over before we ever saw any of the anticipated 1"/hr rates. 

I had really low expectations for this one anyway as far as accumulations go but it is turning out to be fairly high impact due to the ice layer underneath. Yup visually it's not bad, the crunchy stuff from overnight gave the wet snow this morning a nice surface to bond to so everything is coated in a nice .5" layer of snow.

This seems to be the year of 3-6, 4-8 inchers for the interior.  Was expecting better rates this morning, but pretty light stuff. Look at all the dry air and holes in the radar especially over Western Massachusetts where they were in the bullseye by models.  

Oh well, we melt it all the next two weeks and start over again for February.   It is what it is.  

The snow scene outside regardless of actual amounts is really beautiful and I am going to just enjoy and focus on that. 

26 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

This seems to be the year of 3-6, 4-8 inchers for the interior.  Was expecting better rates this morning, but pretty light stuff. Look at all the dry air and holes in the radar especially over Western Massachusetts where they were in the bullseye by models.  

Oh well, we melt it all the next two weeks and start over again for February.   It is what it is.  

The snow scene outside regardless of actual amounts is really beautiful and I am going to just enjoy and focus on that. 

So it sounds like you actually did pretty well, I heard 7-8" up there. My kids are living in the dorms at DCC and classes have been cancelled today. I guess that's what happens when you have 10k students that commute by car.

6 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

4.3 inch final tally. A little disappointed but this storm has a great after look to it.

I was happy to top half a foot, biggest storm of the season for me thus far.  Also the duration of snow for 30 hours or so, even if it was really light yesterday, was cool. 

@rgwp96 I remeasured later on and got 2.1", which makes sense since when I took the first observation it continued to snow for a couple of hours (albeit lightly).  Have to watch out for that layer of ice under everything too, very slick.

Definitely disappointed with the totals, however like others have said, the scenery afterwords was nice.  I'm amazed that we still haven't had a 6"+ snowfall yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

@rgwp96 I remeasured later on and got 2.1", which makes sense since when I took the first observation it continued to snow for a couple of hours (albeit lightly).  Have to watch out for that layer of ice under everything too, very slick.

Definitely disappointed with the totals, however like others have said, the scenery afterwords was nice.  I'm amazed that we still haven't had a 6"+ snowfall yet.

I took a dive on my sidewalk this am lol . Thankfully nobody saw it , fell hard though . 

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018