Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

Nice fresh coating.
Hoping the temp goes up just enough with the sun on the car this morning to get either a door or the trunk open so I can take it to my father in laws place and put it in the garage to thaw. If not I'll try again tomorrow or on Friday.
It's THAT solid a freeze? What about purchasing handwarmers and lining them along the doorcracks?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, snywx said:

Just got a robocall from my kids school. Early dismissal is at 1145 and the way it's looking right now no school tomorrow. Ugh why!! Lol

It’s SO nice once your kids grow up and are past that stage. I figure many of the schools around here are doing the same but thankfully I don’t need to follow that anymore. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

The 12z 12k NAM taken verbatim, as the kids like to say here, has the 2m freezing line run right through my yard, wonder if it will be one of those storms where the ones that can smell the warm front get crushed? 

There will definitely be lots of folks watching the mixing line on CC radar early tomorrow morning. I'd be shocked if we got as warm as the NAM shows, but even verbatim (:P) we'd still be all snow, even if the BL tickled 33F for a while.

I'm surprised that the models are still almost unanimous in spitting out 0.75+ of liquid for most of us. I thought for sure they would have started backing down by this morning.

12 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

There will definitely be lots of folks watching the mixing line on CC radar early tomorrow morning. I'd be shocked if we got as warm as the NAM shows, but even verbatim (:P) we'd still be all snow, even if the BL tickled 33F for a while.

I'm surprised that the models are still almost unanimous in spitting out 0.75+ of liquid for most of us. I thought for sure they would have started backing down by this morning.

So do you think he NWS upgrades to Warnings later?  Again, whatever the NWS chooses doesn't affect what actually falls.  I remember a few years ago I had a WWA and cleared over 7" from the board.  

26 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

So do you think he NWS upgrades to Warnings later?  Again, whatever the NWS chooses doesn't affect what actually falls.  I remember a few years ago I had a WWA and cleared over 7" from the board.  

Along with that would be the snow ratios. With the warmer temps I'm not sure they will be 10:1.

24 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Someone at Upton will get excited about halfway through the event and issue blizzard warnings for the entire CWA. :whistle:

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Along with that would be the snow ratios. With the warmer temps I'm not sure they will be 10:1.

This is likely one of the reasons most actual mets and agencies have remained relatively conservative with forecasts. It's close to a perfect storm of ingredients for lousy ratios. The only saving grace may be that near-freezing temps just above the ground favor aggregation, which can increase ratios when needles are the primary crystal habit (like you'd see when the best lift is through the -12C and warmer layer). It's like the poor man's dendrite... instead of single snowflakes with fractal branches adding lots of bulk, you get voluminous clumps of needles and columns trapping empty space inside rather than just neatly settling like sand.

kPzA1ov.png

• Thanks 2

Great explanation of how to show better ratios with marginal conditions. Is that red dot on the simulated radar above supposed to be the Brewster Mesonet station? Interesting because it shows the upslope I talk about sometimes against the southern end of the Taconics when I'm getting an unpredicted additional accumulation.

5 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Great explanation of how to show better ratios with marginal conditions. Is that red dot on the simulated radar above supposed to be the Brewster Mesonet station? Interesting because it shows the upslope I talk about sometimes against the southern end of the Taconics when I'm getting an unpredicted additional accumulation.

I just clicked near my house to generate that sounding, but it seems pretty representative of region as a whole. I think the enhanced precip rates shown on the map are mostly from intense low to mid-level frontogenesis. The tightening boundary should be oriented almost directly N/S by early tomorrow morning instead of the typical SW to NE arc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

I just clicked near my house to generate that sounding, but it seems pretty representative of region as a whole. I think the enhanced precip rates shown on the map are mostly from intense low to mid-level frontogenesis. The tightening boundary should be oriented almost directly N/S by early tomorrow morning instead of the typical SW to NE arc.

Yeah I've never been sure how to phrase it but frontogenesis makes more sense than upslope, these aren't exactly big hills, I mean they're not the Tetons or Green Mountain Spine by Stowe :) It does seem that it happens like that frequently though and I benefit from it more often than not.  

Yay my car warmed enough for me to get in :tomato:

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah I've never been sure how to phrase it but frontogenesis makes more sense than upslope, these aren't exactly big hills, I mean they're not the Tetons or Green Mountain Spine by Stowe :) It does seem that it happens like that frequently though and I benefit from it more often than not.  

Yay my car warmed enough for me to get in :tomato:

:thumbsup:

Just in case anyone was thinking of :cliff:

With the approaching mid and upper level trough and a strong mid
and upper left front quadrant of a jet-streak nearby, recent
Northeast CSTAR research would suggest the potential for a
quasi- stationary mesoscale band of snowfall on the northwestern
side of this developing low pressure area especially after
midnight to continue. The latest mesoscale models, including the
3-km HRRR and NAM do suggest the heaviest snowfall amounts
extending from the Poconos northeast across the Catskills, mid
Hudson Valley and into NW CT/Berkshires overnight.

1 minute ago, snywx said:

How much do you have up there.. I think the fun is just about to begin up here

1.8" so far. It's still rather light in nature but I'm really liking the way radar looks... band intensifying just to my NW as it ever so slowly inches south. Peak rippage starts around 2 am if the HRRR is to be believed.

3 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

1.8" so far. It's still rather light in nature but I'm really liking the way radar looks... band intensifying just to my NW as it ever so slowly inches south. Peak rippage starts around 2 am if the HRRR is to be believed.

RGEM looks on board for a wide spread 6-8" event from Orange up through Dutchess and into NW CT. 

1 minute ago, snywx said:

If anyone has a chance to over perform its def your location. Would be nice to see some 10" amounts in the AM. Im thinking more in the lines of 6" for me.

I definitely like where I'm sitting. 10" will be a hard sell, even here, but the potential is there.

You look at WV and imagine what could have been if we didn't have such an atrocious upper-level trough driving this system:

conus.08.20180117.031224.jpg

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018