• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

My car is so frozen shut I can't even get in through the trunk and crawl into the front. I'm so bummed because it's parked at the edge of the driveway and when the plow comes by it's either gonna get clipped or at least damaged :( I called a tow company I know and they won't even try to put it on a flatbed because it's in gear with the e-brake pulled and they won't take the chance at damaging it. 

9 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

My car is so frozen shut I can't even get in through the trunk and crawl into the front. I'm so bummed because it's parked at the edge of the driveway and when the plow comes by it's either gonna get clipped or at least damaged :( I called a tow company I know and they won't even try to put it on a flatbed because it's in gear with the e-brake pulled and they won't take the chance at damaging it. 

Go buy a cheap handle of vodka and throw it on the car. 

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Have you tried lock decider. Also you could could try a hair dryer on the key hole and the crack of the door jamb where the lock is. You could also heat the key with the hair dryer too a few times to warm up the lock cylinder 

The lock cylinder works fine with the key on the drivers door and trunk (passenger door doesn't have one only electric), it's the door latches that are frozen and all around the molding that's frozen. Yup tried lock deicer with a hose to direct it in, no go. Heat gun on medium temp is useless at these temperatures because it has to heat so much metal without bubbling the paint. If I had wheel dollies I'd be able to move it away from the street at least but I don't. Hmm, wonder if Auto Zone rents those like they rent tools...

12 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Just pour it in from the top? Would that bubble the paint off?

It doesn't have to be boiling maybe 150-175 degrees.  Also maybe the  parts store rents a floor jack and you could lift the car from the rear axle. If they don't rent the floor jack, what's the return policy if you tried it and did not like it.:whistle:

Just now, gravitylover said:

I thought about lifting it from the tow hitch but it's parked on dirt so I doubt the steel wheels on my floor jack will roll. Such a silly thing to be dealing with<_< I blame it on IrishRob for issuing a door freeze warning on Friday :P

I tried to warn you dammit!! Maybe pour RainX deicer fluid (wonderful stuff) around the door jam?  I was able to open my driver side door and let the car warmup for a while which thawed out the back doors. It sucks that you can’t get at least of them open. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I thought about lifting it from the tow hitch but it's parked on dirt so I doubt the steel wheels on my floor jack will roll. Such a silly thing to be dealing with<_< I blame it on IrishRob for issuing a door freeze warning on Friday :P

That sucks that it's on dirt. That wipes out the floor jack idea. Robs idea of rainX might work and will be safe on the paint.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I tried to warn you dammit!! Maybe pour RainX deicer fluid (wonderful stuff) around the door jam?  I was able to open my driver side door and let the car warmup for a while which thawed out the back doors. It sucks that you can’t get at least of them open. 

I did open the doors and thought they had dried sufficiently. I was wrong :( 2 door car with thick doors and the latches are well protected deep in there behind the apparently also frozen molding. My old Volvo you could open the window with the key, I did that once then was able to pull on the door rather than yank the door handle and break it off. Who thought that designing a trunk lid that drains around it and is ringed by thick rubber molding and putting the latches in such a well protected area was a good idea <_< The drains must be blocked enough with leaves and such that there are actually icicles growing up out of them :weep:

8 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I did open the doors and thought they had dried sufficiently. I was wrong :( 2 door car with thick doors and the latches are well protected deep in there behind the apparently also frozen molding. My old Volvo you could open the window with the key, I did that once then was able to pull on the door rather than yank the door handle and break it off. Who thought that designing a trunk lid that drains around it and is ringed by thick rubber molding and putting the latches in such a well protected area was a good idea <_< The drains must be blocked enough with leaves and such that there are actually icicles growing up out of them :weep:

The only other thing I can think of is to get a tow truck instead of a flatbed and have them lift it up from the back and move it a few feet 

I you tubed this and most say deicer Spray all along the cracks were the seal is ,also you could poor windshield fluid in a spray bottle ,but do not use warm or hot water as it may crack your wind shield,,If you can do the deicer than maybe you can pry with a scraper along the whole edges of the door ,something has to give on this,I have bought cans that have a yellow top scraper on them to deice windshields and I know for a fact that they melt the ice on contact ,so maybe if you can get some of that and use it’s scraper ,you may get in...

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018