Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

On 12/1/2017 at 9:00 AM, snywx said:

** WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY ** 
--- From 6am Saturday to 7am Sunday ---

* Locations: Eastern Columbia, Dutchess, Putnam, Rockland, Westchester Counties

* Accumulation...2 to 5 inches are expected. 

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Be prepared for reduced visibilities at 
times as well as snow covered roads. Maximum snowfall rates of 
up to a half inch per hour are expected.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...  
A Winter Weather Advisory for snow means periods of snow will 
cause primarily travel difficulties. Be prepared for snow covered 
roads and limited visibilities, and use caution while driving. 
The latest road conditions for the state you are calling from can 
be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

These are the only advisories issued by the National Weather Service at this time.  They are a combination of 2 advisories (one for Dutchess & Columbia county from NWS Albany, and one from NWS Upton for Rockland, Westchester and Putnam).  

Big Flakes here and at at first glance it looks like it is snowing pretty hard but when I take an expansive look across the golf course the visibility isn't that bad so it is probably only almost moderate snow.  Too many people report heavy snow without checking the visibility which is a great way to see how hard it is snowing.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

I have pretty exact measurements to certain points in each direction for estimates. Has always worked well with either a house or a certain tree or lightpole. 

It’s really not that hard to set those points up if you want to have any sort of clue as to what you’re talking about. 

30 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Seems like some decent fronto banding going on. It didn't start snowing until about an hour ago but snow growth is good with lots of lightly rimed dendrites so I'm coming up on 1" already.

Yeah this fits the composite of a laterally quasi-stationary snow band quite nicely, maybe there will be some surprises beneath the band axis.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ENYsnow said:

Yeah this fits the composite of a laterally quasi-stationary snow band quite nicely, maybe there will be some surprises beneath the band axis.

I kept looking for banding signatures on the NW side of the system in mesoscale guidance over the past day or so but any signals seemed to be weak... or maybe I'm just not very good at identifying them. Either way, this stuff means business as I'm at 2" now, so rates are well over 1"/hr under this band.

I took this closeup of a dendrite a little while ago and thought it was neat how you could see the individual supercooled water droplets that froze on contact. I was worried about the lack of forcing in the low-mid levels but the only effect that seems to be having is preventing the rime from getting significant enough to hamper ratios. Nice event.

ANmrPSZ.jpg

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I kept looking for banding signatures on the NW side of the system in mesoscale guidance over the past day or so but any signals seemed to be weak... or maybe I'm just not very good at identifying them. Either way, this stuff means business as I'm at 2" now, so rates are well over 1"/hr under this band.

I took this closeup of a dendrite a little while ago and thought it was neat how you could see the individual supercooled water droplets that froze on contact. I was worried about the lack of forcing in the low-mid levels but the only effect that seems to be having is preventing the rime from getting significant enough to hamper ratios. Nice event.

That seems to be where forecast challenges arise since only subtle differences can exist between nonbanded and laterally quasi-stationary band events.  Either way congrats on a nice little event for you guys, light snow just started here.

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018