• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

I've been in northern VT and NH twice in the last week and the season is definitely changing up there. Going up I91 you can really feel the difference as you go through MA and into southern VT the summer green fades to a lighter color and by the time you get to White River Jct color starts to pop. Yesterday we noticed oranges and reds and a few yellows with some species of trees dropping their leaves, in the wind yesterday it was really evident as they were bouncing off the side of the car.  Over the last week new flowers are blooming too and the color of the meadow floors is noticeably different than it was last weekend.  

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

I've been in northern VT and NH twice in the last week and the season is definitely changing up there. Going up I91 you can really feel the difference as you go through MA and into southern VT the summer green fades to a lighter color and by the time you get to White River Jct color starts to pop. Yesterday we noticed oranges and reds and a few yellows with some species of trees dropping their leaves, in the wind yesterday it was really evident as they were bouncing off the side of the car.  Over the last week new flowers are blooming too and the color of the meadow floors is noticeably different than it was last weekend.  

Jealous.  As I'm sure you know that up there this may not be too early but I'm not an expert.  I know when I've gone up to the White mountains in NH during Columbus Day week it can be great or too late.  That said often while one area is past peak the other side of the mountain it still in all its glory.  Locally, I drove over to New Windsor yesterday and notice a little color on a few maples. 

Let's see if these out to the west will hold their intensity.

Mesoscale Discussion 1557
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   0607 PM CDT Tue Aug 22 2017

Areas affected...Eastern PA...southern NY...northern NJ

Concerning...Severe Thunderstorm Watch 464...

Valid 222307Z - 230100Z

The severe weather threat for Severe Thunderstorm Watch 464
   continues.

SUMMARY...A few storms may increase in intensity as they progress
   across eastern Pennsylvania and vicinity. Damaging winds, a
   brief/weak tornado, and marginal hail are all possible.

DISCUSSION...Surface analysis shows continued pressure falls across
   eastern PA, ahead of the main line of storms. In addition, this
   corridor currently is near the instability axis, with MLCAPE around
   1500 J/kg. Deep-layer shear remains favorable for long-lived severe
   storms, roughly 45-50 kt and at a large angle to the front. 0-1 km
   SRH also remains favorable for supercells and/or a brief tornado at
   over 100 M2/s2.

Recent radar trends have shown some increase in cells ahead of the
   line, and if this trend persists, some of these cells may turn right
   and become supercells, with threat of a brief tornado, hail, and
   damaging wind.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

How was Bristol and Nashville? Ioved Nashville last year, talk about Music City!  I would like to get back there and see a race at Bristol for sure. 

Bristol was awesome. You have to go there and most certainly bring hearing protection. This is such a different track in a good way. It's a must visit track for a NASCAR fan. Nashville is such a beautiful city. I only got to spend one night there so didn't do much. The eclipse was absolutely breath taking!! Words cannot describe the beauty of this cosmic display. You just stand there in awe when the last point of sunlight disappears and the corona shows itself. 

20170819_164852.thumb.jpg.b0c2ebbb6ebe67ad601d716c2d8a8a9d.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

I know I wasn't really paying attention but was it supposed to rain overnight? I didn't get much but it rained for over an hour. Things needed a soaking, trails were almost dusty yesterday.

At some point this week some of the models had a passing shower or two late last night/early this morning. I don't believe anything fell here. 

My point forecast has a low of 41F on Saturday morning so normally I'd be on the lookout for for the season's first reading in the 30s, but things don't look ideal for maximum chill. The core of the 850mb cold pool will have retreated by late Friday with some weak WAA and high clouds increasing throughout the night.

Exciting, I know.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

My point forecast has a low of 41F on Saturday morning so normally I'd be on the lookout for for the season's first reading in the 30s, but things don't look ideal for maximum chill. The core of the 850mb cold pool will have retreated by late Friday with some weak WAA and high clouds increasing throughout the night.

Exciting, I know.

I'll be up at Mount Snow for the annual Brewers Festival, it says 39 for a low Saturday morning, we shall see up there. 

We could actually use some rain now. Things have really dried out in the woods, undergrowth is mostly down for the year already under the canopy and the ground is hardpan and dusty. In the open areas and meadows the growth is getting crackly and the trails have a nice dust layer sitting on them while right at the treeline it appears really lush until you get into it and realize it's crackly dry. That said, it sure was a nice week to be out in the woods on a mt bike. Today was really good, crisp air and perfect visibility.

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018