Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
End of July Super Soaker

Ellinwood

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i passed out on my couch listening to the rain during that last band around 12-1am.  woke up to my electricity being out.  it's back on, thankfully.  nice event and one of the coolest looking radar depictions i've seen during any storm.   looks like we'll be dealing with remnants throughout the day all the way to the coast.  

1 hour ago, SlowerLowerDE said:

IDK if this is accurate or not.  My "Accurate" gauge broke.  I need advice on buying a new rain guage.

Join CoCoRaHS and get their gauge, holds 11 inches and is pretty durable.

Edit

Well, helps if you read through all the posts before commenting I guess........

41 minutes ago, 87storms said:

i passed out on my couch listening to the rain during that last band around 12-1am.  woke up to my electricity being out.  it's back on, thankfully.  nice event and one of the coolest looking radar depictions i've seen during any storm.   looks like we'll be dealing with remnants throughout the day all the way to the coast.  

Yeah. I passed out too before it ended. I went to sleep thinking that staying up for a rain event wasn't as exciting as whiteout conditions, 50mph wind gusts, and empty store shelves as the result of unnecessary pandemonium. You only get the real effect of a rain storm by listening to the rain hit the roof....at night at least. 

1 hour ago, SlowerLowerDE said:

That is a very nice guage.  I ordered one.  Thanks!

Good choice. I hope you join cocorahs.

1 hour ago, wxdude64 said:

Join CoCoRaHS and get their gauge, holds 11 inches and is pretty durable.

Edit

Well, helps if you read through all the posts before commenting I guess........

You offer good advice though! ;)

1 hour ago, adelphi_sky said:

Yeah. I passed out too before it ended. I went to sleep thinking that staying up for a rain event wasn't as exciting as whiteout conditions, 50mph wind gusts, and empty store shelves as the result of unnecessary pandemonium. You only get the real effect of a rain storm by listening to the rain hit the roof....at night at least. 

ha, well nothing compares to a blizzard, but there's something to be said about warmer temps and being able to have the windows open listening to the rain fall.  there was a lack of storms within this system.  i thought there'd be more thunder/lightning and looking at the rain totals i think it's safe to say that in most cases the crazy amounts weren't really reached.  even last night it wasn't torrential (maybe pockets) like we'd get with the remnants of a tropical system.  long story short, it was a big rainer, but needed.

water vapor shows energy still hanging back to the nw.  given that, you'd think we'd have showers through the rest of the day, but we'll see.  it doesn't look like this thing is in a hurry to leave.  hopefully there's clearing by tomorrow morning.

Looking back, the HRRR and 3K NAM were a bit to slow and deep with the main show, which caused their rainfall amounts to be a bit too high.  Still, this was a decent event and the surprise pre-game action was amazing.  22 roads were closed due to high water in Montgomery County at the height and some isolated reports of rainfall near 7"...if the gap between the pre-game and main event wasn't so long this would've been a top 10 event in my book.

58 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Looking back, the HRRR and 3K NAM were a bit to slow and deep with the main show, which caused their rainfall amounts to be a bit too high.  Still, this was a decent event and the surprise pre-game action was amazing.  22 roads were closed due to high water in Montgomery County at the height and some isolated reports of rainfall near 7"...if the gap between the pre-game and main event wasn't so long this would've been a top 10 event in my book.

it was about as fun of a rainstorm as we'll get around here.  if it was tropical remnants we probably would have had similar rain amounts, but maybe more widespread and more wind.  that's the only difference imo.  the duration definitely hurt the extreme totals, but still some legit totals.  i don't know a lot about the flood stages, etc, but i'm assuming the problems could have been a lot worse had we had a rainier summer up to this point.  on the bright side (literally), we usually get nice weather have big events like this.  i'll be ready for pool weather again shortly.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived