Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
End of July Super Soaker

Ellinwood

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

There's no way that gust map verifies west of the bay. When is the last time we had a coastal gust over 40 west of the bay? I don't think even Feb 2010 was able to do it. 

1/16 managed 43 mph at DCA and 52 mph at IAD. But, that was a significantly deeper low than what's progged here. 

(46 mph at DCA and 47 mph at IAD for 2/10/10)

3 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

1/16 managed 43 mph at DCA and 52 mph at IAD. But, that was a significantly deeper low than what's progged here. 

I forgot that was a windy storm. I didn't get a ton of wind but I never do in my location. I'm at the bottom of a hill. 

That's what I was thinking when I saw the EC wind output. Not a very strong low to be putting down 50mph+ at the surface. The evolution is interesting because it goes vertically stacked close by so the best intensification happens overhead so there's that. Plus, heavy rain can bring down wind much better than snow. But still, I'd be shocked if any station tops 60mph and even 50 is a stretch. 40s somewhere? I might take that bet.  

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Bass are always biting for him, enjoy the storm Bob, should be a doozy

I just can't get excited for summer rainers. I love good severe or derecho but a heavy coastal rainer isn't exciting and is way out of place for July. If trees topple and dams burst I'll probably change my mind. 

Today is a good time to take care of drainage stuff around properties. I got up on the roof and cleaned the slots in my gutter caps. My neighbors are older so I got up on their roof and cleaned out their gutters too. Tested the generator just in case although power outages don't look like a big threat for now. 

Someone is going to get under a band with impressive totals. I just made sure that won't be me by taking care of my property. Lol.  

Someone should do a rainfall contest. Maybe combine it with wind too. May as well maximize the fun with an unusual summer storm. 

25 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Today is a good time to take care of drainage stuff around properties. I got up on the roof and cleaned the slots in my gutter caps. My neighbors are older so I got up on their roof and cleaned out their gutters too. Tested the generator just in case although power outages don't look like a big threat for now. 

I need to do that.  Though the weeping willow that usually contributed to clogging the gutters is dead (grr) so at least the gutter won't be clogged!

• WxUSAF pinned this topic
40 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Someone is going to get under a band with impressive totals. I just made sure that won't be me by taking care of my property. Lol.  

Someone should do a rainfall contest. Maybe combine it with wind too. May as well maximize the fun with an unusual summer storm. 

Now you jinxed it. No rain. Gutters cleared

12 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Bowie getting a head start on the rain with a popup stationary storm

I'm just east of there and I'm under it as well. I was caught off guard while prepping the garden for the big rain. Now I'm standing in the barn watching it pour. Looks like a tropical rainforest out here.

Couple sneaky pre-game cells...that Herndon cell especially looks good.  A met at PHI told me to watch the surface moisture convergence on the SPC mesoanalysis (http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=17#) Surface -> Moisture Convergence.  The south side of the boundaries that have a value of 10 or more can show where the early pre-game stuff is before big storm or frontal passages and the two cells this evening match up well with what we're seeing thus far.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived