Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Heavy Rain Event 7/27-29

ChescoWx

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Newman said:

Nothing satisfies me more than a heavy rain event, but unfortunately this doesn't look to be too good for us northerners. Hopefully some convection and training can change that. Radar looks juiced!  

Philly and close by burbs look pretty damn good per radar. Allentown and N may get shafted....meh, who knows? Let's see....

5 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Unless I'm hallucinating....It's not moving quick.

Could be interesting! Just finished work, so out back I go to work on our "flood control project" which was seriously tested Sunday/Monday. Kind of hoping for a good test so we don't have to wait another year or two to check the results. We shall see. Awesome atmospheric dynamics at work no matter how much falls here or there. And yes, early next week looks pretty nice!

From my "Flash Flood Watch".....I'm not on/at the Mason-Dixon line but somewhat close. 6"+ would super suck and Floyd like.

"Rainfall amounts during this time will generally range
from 2 to 4 inches. However, training of thunderstorms may lead
to isolated higher amounts in excess of 6 inches, especially
south of the Mason-Dixon line."

16 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Yet none of it can make it past Pottsville up here in the Skook...

Quite frankly it looks like it's jogging West again? WTF? Once it settles itself on top of us/you....I think your good to go. It's hanging out around Harrisburg/State College.....damn thing won't move?

rs.jpg

4 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Quite frankly it looks like it's jogging West again? WTF? Once it settles itself on top of us/you....I think your good to go. It's hanging out around Harrisburg/State College.....damn thing won't move?

rs.jpg

It's getting sucked back southwest into the developing low, many models have shown just this scenario leaving Lehigh and Bucks with very little.

43 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

36 minutes ago, RedSky said:

It's getting sucked back southwest into the developing low, many models have shown just this scenario leaving Lehigh and Bucks with very little.

Almost EXACTLY like we see in the winter with a developing snowstorm. The snow shield makes it to a certain point and then retrogrades toward the low. Watching the radar trends, I believe if I get any rain up here, it may struggle mightily to get to a quarter inch.

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

Almost EXACTLY like we see in the winter with a developing snowstorm. The snow shield makes it to a certain point and then retrogrades toward the low. Watching the radar trends, I believe if I get any rain up here, it may struggle mightily to get to a quarter inch.

So far down here up to 0.20" total...should get some heavier rain shortly but the system seems to be moving fast from west to east now...

Radar-7-29-17_12-20am.jpg

32 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Light rain had apparently started here just after 2 am and after some fits and starts, I currently have 0.14".   Temp is 67F with some breezy drizzle.

You guys were supposed to do much better than that, weren't you? If so, major bust down that way. For me, it was never supposed to be much, so while it is/was frustrating to miss out once again, it was expected.

2 minutes ago, Voyager said:

You guys were supposed to do much better than that, weren't you? If so, major bust down that way. For me, it was never supposed to be much, so while it is/was frustrating to miss out once again, it was expected.

Big ass dry slot apparently eroded a bunch of it away, at least where I am (NW Philly)  It's like some of us were caught in between the bands of the evolving nor'easter.  Winter redux.  BLT & D.C. probably got the bulk of it considering it was pouring there yesterday afternoon into the evening.

Sky is currently brightening to the west as the storm moves east and the sun rises.  It's overcast here now with a temp of 66F.

Wow! Since midnight 3.33"! Yesterday had 0.67". So a total of 4.00" since 5pm yesterday(Friday). Might pick up another hundredth or two as I see it's all exiting stage right. Enough! For the month 8.33". Will be wettest July since 2000 (8.38"). Last wettest any month was just last September (11.06") . Yikes!

51 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Big ass dry slot apparently eroded a bunch of it away, at least where I am (NW Philly)  It's like some of us were caught in between the bands of the evolving nor'easter.  Winter redux.  BLT & D.C. probably got the bulk of it considering it was pouring there yesterday afternoon into the evening.

Sky is currently brightening to the west as the storm moves east and the sun rises.  It's overcast here now with a temp of 66F.

You're not kidding....we're in the middle. Stuff off shore (East) and stuff out West which I think will eventually fling around/gather moisture/combine and come our way. Or a super bust? Who knows?

Shower or two overnight but that's about it.

64.8F / DP  61F w/a breeze......super nice out there w/a cup of coffee.

5 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

You're not kidding....we're in the middle. Stuff off shore (East) and stuff out West which I think will eventually fling around/gather moisture/combine and come our way. Or a super bust? Who knows?

Shower or two overnight but that's about it.

64.8F / DP  61F w/a breeze......super nice out there w/a cup of coffee.

Looking at the surface map, with that gigantic Canadian High and a sortof weak low, it seems like that stuff back by Pittsburgh will probably dissipate before it gets here.  If the Low had been progged to get cut off from the jetstream and hung out at the coast, then there would be more rain chances but it'll probably go scooting away to the NE. 

It's pretty breezy out and the dp is dropping rapidly.  Currently 65F w/dp 60F and NE winds that are light to moderate.

nws-surfacemap-07292017.gif

Disappointed we missed out in lehigh valley but probably a good thing since we have had 8.2" in july at abe. This was a very interesting system to watch and there were some interesting systems in the spring as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Looking at the surface map, with that gigantic Canadian High and a sortof weak low, it seems like that stuff back by Pittsburgh will probably dissipate before it gets here.  If the Low had been progged to get cut off from the jetstream and hung out at the coast, then there would be more rain chances but it'll probably go scooting away to the NE. 

It's pretty breezy out and the dp is dropping rapidly.  Currently 65F w/dp 60F and NE winds that are light to moderate.

nws-surfacemap-07292017.gif

Yep....stuff out by Pitt may fall apart. I'll be happy with .3" - .5" today and sun tomorrow. This would have been a nightmare winter event.....I would have lost my mind!

Archived