• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Do you like the hot and humid summers in the southeast?

griteater

Do you like the hot and humid summers in the southeast?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the hot and humid summers in the southeast?

• I love it!
    • I like it, but it does get out of hand at times
    • I don't like it, but realize it's part of the deal down south
    • I hate it in every way

1 hour ago, AsheCounty48 said:

I went with #2. I love to have 3 or four hot streaks over the summer(assuming June through maybe early September) that are around 5 or so days a piece. good days to be at the pool. But I don't like summers like the past couple that have had extended heat waves.

I'd toot summers horn like you if I was 3000 ft above sea level. 

6 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I hate it in every way.  I wish we could remain in a repeating pattern of December through February.  Then, I could watch the rain/snow line set up just northwest of me and experience frequent above normal temps.  Wait...never mind.

I'd like our climate to constantly be like last winters! That way we could still get plenty of 80s! :(

Overall, I found that I generally like it for the most part in upstate South Carolina. However, there are some downsides to it - not particularly because of the seasonable heat and humidity - but more because that the style of Summer seems to make it harder for me to adhere to a healthy lifestyle. :P That tropical feel apparently gives me that sense of relaxation and of "taking a break".

Back in late 2015, on the other hand, I used to talk about how Summers in the Southeast U.S. sucked because they were so hot and humid. The humidity would seem to get to me at night and make it hard for me to sleep. However, we had many days that Summer where temperatures were much above average including a heatwave in last 1/3 of June. That Summer, overall, ended up hotter than average. Basically, that year, June and July were well above normal.  

• 2 weeks later...

I voted #3. Being from far NW NJ in the "mountains" we had humidity all throughout the summer but we had cold fronts that would actually make it way south of us and lots of T storms in the afternoons. So back then I didnt mind it and I didnt sweat like I do now.  NH summers were nice too. But we did heave heatwaves and humidity but short lived. When we moved to Southern New Hampshire it did hit 100+ for 4 days and the house had no AC. Then moving to Northern VA it is like it is here, though most of the summer. WE did get cold fronts though that cooled off for a few days. But it could be more humid there than here sometimes and hotter temps with the downslope of the mountains to my west. It just lasts longer here. It is what it is and I expected it to be humid here for most of the summer months from May to October. That being said, one day when I hit the lottery I will buy myself a cottage or cabin on Beech Mtn :)

• 2 weeks later...

#3 ... Warm and ample rainfall is nice.  Hot+Humid is a bit TOO much of a good thing, and it goes for a couple of months too long.

Snow and ice is worse so I'll stay here.  I want three real seasons - spring, summer, fall - and a very short winter that consists of just enough of a cold snap for my favorite plants to get their butts chilled for spring, and maybe one good snow for photography's sake.   (while I'm at it, I'd also like a pony)

It seems to be worse now that I'm older.  How did we not notice this as kids?  I mean, I was outside working up a sweat and not feeling it, when nowadays I just want a big glass of water and to do the exercise inside.

I wonder how much A/C acclimation has to do with it.  I spent much of my childhood in Florida without A/C or with the A/C being a single small window unit and we were allowed to sleep in that room a couple of particularly gooey nights.  Nowadays it's A/C everywhere.  I try to leave it off as long as possible in summer, but coming home after a day in an A/C office, temperatures that were OK last week are stifling this week and boom the A/C goes back on.

Archived