SnowHabit
August 2017 Discussion

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Did you get to Nashville?  :bike:

I did! Awesome town!

It's certainly nothing like your father / grandfather's southern town. Cranes are everywhere and skyscraper are going up all over

The vibe here now is reminiscent of Atlanta circa 1970s and 1980s.

Another significant August system failed to pan out here.  Like the last system a week ago, for days the models had at least a couple inches falling across the area, but I only picked up 0.58".  The instability and boundaries remained west and south while we struggled to get out of the 70s.  My August total is only 1.21" and it may not finish much above that.  One good note... the severe drought region of western and southern Iowa cashed in big time with widespread 1-2+ inches.  An area of wc to sw Iowa received 4-6".

9 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Cooler weather moving in. Looks like outside of a day or two, heat is over for the year. Detroit hit 90 only 4 times this year.

June 11- 91

June 12- 92

June 13- 92

July 19- 91

You never know, Detroit could see a couple few more 90 degree days possibly. Early September tends to be very summery still.

gfs_T850_us_43.png

1 hour ago, rainsucks said:

You never know, Detroit could see a couple few more 90 degree days possibly. Early September tends to be very summery still.

gfs_T850_us_43.png

Oh its certainly possible. In fact, Detroits longest heatwave on record was Aug 24-Sept 3, 1953 with 11 straight days of 90F+ (10 were 95+ and the last two 100). Sept 15, 1939 also hit 100F. I just meant that based on the forecast, heat will be scarce, as the deeper we get into September, frost is more likely than heat, and there are no indications of any big warm spells on the way. As it was, heat was scarce over the summer, but it was overall a pleasantly warm summer. Actually, outside of the lack of storminess, few should complain as temps were a perfect compromise. Those who prefer the cooler summers had very few hot days to worry about, but those who like the heat had plenty of warm, sunny days to spend at the pool.

18 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Already getting some good color change going on up here, seems a little earlier than past few years. 

Color popping more and more each day here.  Peak should be in 3 1/2 to 4 weeks or close to.  Potential for some frost the next couple nights should help accelerate the change.  Usually by the last of Sept, the only trees to still have any decent color left are the Oaks and Tamaracks. Very cool mornings pretty much all summer long.  

7 hours ago, Geoboy645 said:

Yeah even here where its been super wet over the summer the trees have been changing. Some people here are saying that it means its going to be a long winter. I don't know about that but it's certainly interesting how early the change has been.

I do not see any changes in my trees' leaves, yet. I'm uncertain about it, too. However, I don't think we're going to be off the hook that easy again this upcoming winter. 

Looks like a fairly widespread frost in the interior/western UP this morning.  Coolest readings I can find.

Doe Lake 31

Baraga plains 29

Kenton 30

Pesky clouds drifted in off superior and kept my temp up a bit. The low was 40 at 445 a.m..  Likely a little better chance for frost tonight as far as dealing with clouds.  Probably another advisory issued later..

Archived