Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2017 Discussion

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As expected, we didn't get too much rain this morning, and nothing this afternoon.  I was hoping for a couple tenths to refill my rain barrel, and 0.20" is exactly what I got.

The temp and dew have really fallen this evening behind the front.  It's already down to 61/51.  It was a bit chilly this evening while sitting out back watching the hummers.

2 hours ago, cmillzz said:

Definitely not going to be a warmer than normal month unless the second half turns very warm

Current high temperature so far this month is 85. If any warm-ups are not to be good enough here, DAY would not only go throughout the entire August without hitting 90, but could also come close to at least tying the record low maximum August temperature of 87 that occurred just 2 years ago (also in 1915). 

Current high temperature so far this month is 85. If any warm-ups are not to be good enough here, DAY would not only go throughout the entire August without hitting 90, but could also come close to at least tying the record low maximum August temperature of 87 that occurred just 2 years ago (also in 1915). 

lol

4 hours ago, Spartman said:

Eh not so sure about August being cooler than normal now. Long range GFS really blasts the furnace past hour 264 or so, maybe this month could end up slightly above average after all. Either way I highly doubt Dayton doesn't reach 90 this month. 

On 8/4/2017 at 6:20 PM, cmillzz said:

Definitely not going to be a warmer than normal month unless the second half turns very warm. 

You never know. It's so hard to get negative anomalies in the warm months now days, the humidity seems to keep morning lows from getting too low.

I think it has much to do with land use changes. 

21 hours ago, cmillzz said:

Eh not so sure about August being cooler than normal now. Long range GFS really blasts the furnace past hour 264 or so, maybe this month could end up slightly above average after all. Either way I highly doubt Dayton doesn't reach 90 this month. 

I wouldn't put much stock in anything that far out. The most likely scenario will be below normal maximums and above normal minimums. 

Over here in the west we never did see any exceptionally cool weather.  We've hit the mid to upper 70s the last couple days and, with more sun than expected, mid 70s appears likely again today.  Much of our 7-day forecast has us around 80.  Pleasant and boring.

The drought over the sw 2/3 of Iowa should continue to increase as little rain is expected out of this pattern.

Only topped out at 72 under wall-to-wall overcast skies with only a trace of rainfall. :axe: With fall-like rains expected overnight into the next morning, tomorrow is not going to be any better as the fall-like system progresses. Early August is a bit too early for an expected 2+-day stretch of wall-to-wall overcast skies, but might as well be the final nail in the coffin on this "summer."

Here's the latest 6-10 and 8-14 day outlooks:

610day.01.gif
610day.02.gif
814day.01.gif
814day.02.gif

Archived