Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Why would you want sloppy seconds from Irma.  A raw breezy day with flooding rains.  No thanks. 

Because it's weather, and it's interesting.  Am I supposed to be excited for 63 degrees and sunny?  

Winds of 30-60mph from remnant systems this time of year usually bring some excitement, Ike took down a lot of limbs and powerlines as it made its way through in 2008.  It was quite the spectacle to see strong winds several days after landfall and 1500 miles away.  A raw, windy, "tropical", fall day is certainly a rarity around here.

Additionally, my real hope was last week when I thought Irma was going to blast into the east coast and get here as a low end Hurricane, thats the dream path.  Been waiting all my life for that one.  

I really am not sure what kind of supposed "weather enthusiast" doesnt want a tropical system to make it up this way.  

6 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

Because it's weather, and it's interesting.  Am I supposed to be excited for 63 degrees and sunny?  

Winds of 30-60mph from remnant systems this time of year usually bring some excitement, Ike took down a lot of limbs and powerlines as it made its way through in 2008.  It was quite the spectacle to see strong winds several days after landfall and 1500 miles away.  A raw, windy, "tropical", fall day is certainly a rarity around here.

Additionally, my real hope was last week when I thought Irma was going to blast into the east coast and get here as a low end Hurricane, thats the dream path.  Been waiting all my life for that one.  

I really am not sure what kind of supposed "weather enthusiast" doesnt want a tropical system to make it up this way.  

I see your point but I also see southbuffalosteve point. Like you said a storm making it all the way here as a hurricane is a dream. Could it happen one day sure, but in our lifetime... the chances are slim. To me I'd rather enjoy the nice weather like what's coming up next week of what looks like sunshine and mid 70s. This is the best time of year to get out and do things because before you know it it's gonna be 20 degrees with lake effect snow. Now to me that's more exciting than any tropical scraps that make it to our neck of the woods but that's just this "weather enthusiast". 

I'm an insane weather enthusiast. I wish I was down there in the middle of that eye getting blown to shreds. ^_^

If I had enough time off of work I would already be in Miami right now. Since we see so much snow here on my list a Cat 3 + Hurricane eyewall landfall would be number one on my chasing list followed closely by a close encounter with a relatively strong tornado. I would take both of those things over a 7' snowstorm. 

I mean just look at this thing. It's mind blowing.

veHNouk.jpg

51 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Anyone chasing spouts along lake Erie this morning?  Looks like a perfect day. I really need to get out and do that one of these days.  Lake Ontario was throwing up some real nice Cumulus on my drive in to work.  

I plan to after I get out of work around 3. I passed the lake on the way to work this morning to try to see some, the clouds definitely looked like they would produce at any moment. 

Now this is why I love fall weather in Buffalo.  Miserable day to be outside but just a great day to be weather watching.  I missed getting out to the lake on my way home when that last batch of cells moved in but boy were the clouds today just great!  Big death like clouds in between clear blue skies.  Cell this morning here was quite noisy a big time rain maker and had my first hail of the season.  Nothing crazy but a few snap shots of the clouds today... 

IMG_2301.PNG

IMG_2302.PNG

IMG_2303.PNG

IMG_2304.PNG

15 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Heck of a rain band setting up.  Lake Effect?  Not moving anywhere fast.  Wouldn't be surprised to see some FFW pop up overnight...

IMG_2308.PNG

Very impressive. Lake enhanced is what Mike Cejka just said on channel 4. Had some crazy storms here around 6:30 PM ( I believe these were the ones you captured those great pictures from) with some super out booms of thunder, torrential rain, and a good amount of hail or graupel (albeit only pea sized, and I couldn't tell for sure what it was because I was driving but the temp on my truck took a plummet down to 48 degrees during the heaviest part of the storm so it may have been graupel). Managed to add close to an inch (0.83") to the rain gage today from all the activity. Certainly was a very fall feeling day out there today and looking forward to a repeat tomorrow.

The Northern Lights were briefly visible last night from our area, too bad it wasnt clearer and didnt last longer (And the moon wasnt so damn full and bright!).  That said, they were visible for a short time.  A local Rochester photographer takes absolutely incredible shots almost daily around here.  Their name is Montanus Photography and they caught another few gems last night.  

Here is a 30 second exposure they captured from Webster.

59b2c7ec6a57d_NorthernLights090717.thumb.jpg.0c5f3eca37bcb257668326d0dcd704c0.jpg

I was up at the lake trying to catch the Northern Lights when I saw this large cell start to develop from the nocturnal land breeze that was forming over the lake.  Apparently the photographer was able to capture an amazing shot of this same cloud, half illuminated with moonlight and half illuminated with lightning.  A truly awesome shot.  

59b2c7ee3eb7c_LakeeffectCell090717.thumb.jpg.79a752ac5b970faae15860e2b124b218.jpg

Archived